Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: English? Your doctor wants to know if you're a poof

Banned
    Liked

English? Your doctor wants to know if you're a poof

Quote Originally Posted by BBC News
    Health professionals in England are to be told to ask patients aged 16 or over about their sexual orientation, under new NHS guidelines. NHS England said no-one would be forced to answer the question but recording the data would ensure that "no patient is discriminated against".

The guidance applies to doctors and nurses, as well as local councils responsible for adult social care. A spokeswoman said: "It will have no impact on the care [people] receive." She added: "All health bodies and local authorities with responsibility for adult social care are required under the Equality Act to ensure that no patient is discriminated against." She said the information would help NHS bodies comply with equality legislation by "consistently collecting, only where relevant, personal details of patients such as race, sex and sexual orientation."

NHS England recommends health professionals - such as GPs and nurses - ask about a person's sexual orientation at "every face to face contact with the patient, where no record of this data already exists". It said the data was already being collected in many areas but that the new guidance makes it standard, and that it expects sexual orientation monitoring to be in place across England by April 2019.
    And if you refuse to answer? They'll record that refusal too

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-41625402

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: English? Your doctor wants to know if you're a poof

now panic bunny...u do realise that there could be a good medical reason...dont u??

Liked

Like a chronic oral thrush infection might turn out be due to the patient being a 75yo lezzy rug-muncher u mean?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

..my doctor knows Im gay..and a sex connoisseur...he's aware that Im terribly promiscuous..that in any given year I'll fuck on every continent and make use of whores...as the saying goes ..when u fuck someone u r fucking everyone they have been with..so from a disease viewpoint..kinda serious.
    I have straight married friends who have only had less that 6 sexual partners in their whole lives..thats like a very average week for me back home..in Pattaya thats 3 days.
    So..hello...put away the conspiracy theories and give your doctor all the info he may need to help u.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

For once I agree with LT- I tell my doctor(s) ( as the chances of actually speaking to your own doctor here and not some in for the day locum are now almost impossible it seems) - but I tell my Doc's everything, whether they like it or ask or not and have had many many annoying conversations where I have to put them right i.e "ohhh you've been to Thailand, did you have sex with a sex worker whilst there !?" - why next question then is of course " can you define a sex worker for me so i can answer that and tell me why you're asking" - they then launch into a speech about the WOMEN there and how the street walkers / women in the bars could have HIV etc, I have to remind them that Ive already told them I'm gay ( ohh apologies blah blah blah) I then go on to ask so, is I guy who I met on Gay romeo who works in an internet cafe and I took for dinner and then fucked a sex worker ? "no, no. that's not what we mean by sex worker ....says I but you do realise that he's meeting me and other versions of me 6 nights a week ( if he's lucky) and fucking them all either for dinner or 1000 "tip" if he's lucky, so, remind me what the difference is again and how I'm at less risk fucking him again ? Yep, I've had some very interesting moral judgement chat's at my Doc's and also amazingly at my local STI clinic where you would THINK that they would know better - but apparently not.

In general the "asking if you're gay" think is being welcomed by the gay community and the organisations fighting for gay rights etc on the basis that a) we've nothing to hide and if it helps us get more accurate health treatment then that can only be a good thing. Also at some other level the Health boards are REQUIRED now to set their care to the needs of their patients and if "gays" don't exist ( as we were never counted) then we literally dont' count when it comes to allocation of budgets for health programmes etc.

And if you chose not to answer, it's no big deal, your answer is simply listed as "not stated". So no big there - and hell if it helps one ow two guys to say "fuck it, yeah I'm gay" well, that to me can only be a good thing for their mental health as well as physical.

6. 3 Users gave Like to post:

bobsaigon2 (October 15th, 2017), joe552 (October 15th, 2017), ktq (June 8th, 2020)

Liked

Hmmmm I hope you never find your private health insurance ruled invalid because you told your GP "everything"

I had a situation a number of years ago where I applied for health insurance and had special terms imposed on me because I had consulted my GP about a (non-sexual) problem which was subsequently ruled out by hospital investigation.

So just to be doubly clear, I was financially penalised for explicitly not having a condition.

The mere fact you consult your GP obliges him/her to note it down and disclose it to anybody with a legitimate interest - and they can act on that information in any way they see fit, so I'd urge caution.

Not that this new policy will ever be implemented in Scotland anyway unless the red or blue Tories get in, which is highly unlikely

Liked

I really don't know how I feel about this. I get the point about your doctor needing as complete a picture as possible. Although I like my doctor, I've never felt the need to tell him I'm gay.
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Nirish...Im shocked?!?! 1000 bht or dinner..thats it?? Here I thought u had to hand over upwards of 2k if one was to be all morally upright...afterall this isnt a 7-11 cashier..he's selling his body.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

All I can say then is that you obviously havent been listening over the years ....

Forum's veteran
    Liked

..dunno...when I say I pay 1000 I get a whole gaggle of morally outraged board members screaming abuse..