This was odd....maybe I'm out of the loop but I had no inkling that bars were to be closed last night. Nor, I suspect, did bar-owners. I had an early -evening drink in Boyztown and, returning to my hotel after dinner, found every bar closed, including the ones that had been opened earlier.
I have the impression, cynical though it may be, that our beloved leaders- local or national- had forgotten that yesterday was the anniversary of the KIng's death and panicked at the last moment.
My interest in this is not personal insofar as P. and I don't go to the bars (though I must admit that the sight of a darkened Boyztown replicating Bognor-on -Sea in February is not w.hy I travel five thousand miles). However, from a political angle, I do find disturbing the manner in which an official or politician can, at a stroke of the pen, undermine the efforts of thousands of less-wealthy citizens to feed their families. It's not just dancers and owners who miss out but the many who rely on the custom that that accompanies the scene. And many of these people live day by day.
And something else that is odd; bars close but massage parlours that offer little but happy endings stay open.