Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bar closures

Liked

Bar closures

This was odd....maybe I'm out of the loop but I had no inkling that bars were to be closed last night. Nor, I suspect, did bar-owners. I had an early -evening drink in Boyztown and, returning to my hotel after dinner, found every bar closed, including the ones that had been opened earlier.
    I have the impression, cynical though it may be, that our beloved leaders- local or national- had forgotten that yesterday was the anniversary of the KIng's death and panicked at the last moment.
    My interest in this is not personal insofar as P. and I don't go to the bars (though I must admit that the sight of a darkened Boyztown replicating Bognor-on -Sea in February is not w.hy I travel five thousand miles). However, from a political angle, I do find disturbing the manner in which an official or politician can, at a stroke of the pen, undermine the efforts of thousands of less-wealthy citizens to feed their families. It's not just dancers and owners who miss out but the many who rely on the custom that that accompanies the scene. And many of these people live day by day.
    And something else that is odd; bars close but massage parlours that offer little but happy endings stay open.

Liked

Re: Bar closures

They're mourning the death and cremation of their king, the longest living monarch in the world. If you really need alcohol that bad, just go to a local mom & pop shop, as they'll still sell to you.

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    This was odd....maybe I'm out of the loop but I had no inkling that bars were to be closed last night. Nor, I suspect, did bar-owners. I had an early -evening drink in Boyztown and, returning to my hotel after dinner, found every bar closed, including the ones that had been opened earlier.
    I have the impression, cynical though it may be, that our beloved leaders- local or national- had forgotten that yesterday was the anniversary of the KIng's death and panicked at the last moment.
    My interest in this is not personal insofar as P. and I don't go to the bars (though I must admit that the sight of a darkened Boyztown replicating Bognor-on -Sea in February is not w.hy I travel five thousand miles). However, from a political angle, I do find disturbing the manner in which an official or politician can, at a stroke of the pen, undermine the efforts of thousands of less-wealthy citizens to feed their families. It's not just dancers and owners who miss out but the many who rely on the custom that that accompanies the scene. And many of these people live day by day.
    And something else that is odd; bars close but massage parlours that offer little but happy endings stay open.
    Appearances are everything - that's what "face" means

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Actually Oliver the bars etc. were closed marking 1 year after the king's death.
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Liked

Yes, they did close the entertainment venues in Boyztown, including the massage shops, but never touched the ones along 2nd Road and liquor was sold at the convenience shops.

Liked

delete

Liked

Bars in Hua Hin were open for business last night (i.e. Fri Oct 13). Closing of bars for this particular date seems like a local call, not a universal one. So Thai ... no one knows nuttin'.
    Ollie just doesn't get it. Never did.

Just another reason why I love living in Thailand.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Banned
    Liked

Soi Twilight was closed yes.
    Silom Soi 4 was open, but no alcohol was served till after midnight.
    DJ Station / Soi 2 was the same. Drinks after midnight.

It will be a hard month for many of the people working in and around these areas and yes it does seem like they were closed at a moments notice.

I stayed home. Was easier.
    Things should be back to normal tonight, so I am TOLD.... Will pop to Silom later and look.

Liked

They weren't closed "at a moments notice". The King died a year ago. This was pre-planned for a while now.

On this topic, anyone else in Thailand have their Youtube page a little screwed up last couple days? For mine at least, first about 6 recommended videos are in Thai now, I'm assuming about the King.

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    They weren't closed "at a moments notice". The King died a year ago. This was pre-planned for a while now.

On this topic, anyone else in Thailand have their Youtube page a little screwed up last couple days? For mine at least, first about 6 recommended videos are in Thai now, I'm assuming about the King.
    No.

They were closed on a moments notice. This means they were not told they could not open. They opened and were then asked to close.
    The normal procedure, as happened in Jomtien 2 nights ago is the bar owners are given instructions with a good period of notice in regard to closures.

Nobody is argueing about the date yesterday, but not everywhere was closed.

11. User who gave Like to post:

francois (October 15th, 2017)