Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your SE Asian guy

Liked

Your SE Asian guy

Just being curious. Would those of you with a BF in Thailand, Vietnam or wherever, bring them to your home country if you could?
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Your SE Asian guy

Yes, but just for a visit. My Vietnamese bf is very attached to family, culture, food, music. With the exception of the family element, he could find everything else in the Vietnamese areas of many US cities, but without an occupation he would soon be bored.

3. 2 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (September 23rd, 2017), joe552 (September 23rd, 2017)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by bobsaigon2 View Post
    .... but without an occupation he would soon be bored.
    As he would also be without Vietnamese friends.

Some people underestimate the importance of family in Asia. Trading your family for a life of plenty far away from them would be difficult for any length of time. So a short visit is definitely the way to go.

I've heard a number is very sad stories over the years of farang who have taken their guy to live with them in Europe and it ended in disaster. It wasn't only because they had little contact with their families - they had no friends with whom they could speak to in their own language, couldn't communicate with the locals, had nothing to do except "take care" of their farang and, of course, couldn't bear the European winters.

Hardly a recipe for success.

But that's not to say there are no exceptions. I'm sure there are couples who have somehow managed to make it work.

5. 3 Users gave Like to post:

bobsaigon2 (September 23rd, 2017), goji (October 1st, 2017), joe552 (September 23rd, 2017)

Liked

Thanks for the replies. Bob, am I right in assuming you actually live in Vietnam full time? Are you one of those guys who went over there in the war and never made it home? By choice.

Sorry if that's too personal, choose not to answer if you want. I have to admit I get lonely here in Dublin (especially at 4 in the morning) so I'm just looking for idle chit chat. One of my brothers moved to Cambodia a few years ago. We don't talk to each other anymore. He was always a selfish prick and none of his 6 kids stays in touch with him.

Sorry for digressing. Bob, thanks for your response. I find it interesting.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Joe, I do live here in Vietnam full time. Never served in the military, first visit to Vietnam was in 1989 after I had started an agency to assist Vietnamese immigrant visa applicants. I relocated to Saigon in 2000, been with the same Vietnamese partner since then, so yes, I am here by choice. I would dearly love to be able to make an annual trip to the US, but for the past couple of years my lungs have been unable to support such a journey. Materially, I have everything I want, so that's not a problem. Just can't find white breakfast pudding at any of the supermarkets.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by joe552 View Post
    Just being curious. Would those of you with a BF in Thailand, Vietnam or wherever, bring them to your home country if you could?
    Yes!

That said, my partner and I live in different countries (Australia/Thailand), follow our own career paths and interests, maintain our local friendships/family contacts. We exchange visits at least once per year for 1-3 months in each location. We both feel comfortable in the other's country. We intermingle our friendships when visiting. Yet we still have our "own personal space".

When I first started visiting Thailand, I underestimated the "family thing". Given the malnourishment and physical discomforts doled out to him as a kid, I just could not understand why he kept wanting to maintain contact with the people who had mistreated him. Then I started to learn about Thai familial customs. Finally, an epiphany moment - it was not greatly different to Aus in the 1950s and earlier. Family and kids were the security and "superannuation fund" - the younger looking after and keeping the elderly as necessary. Now, when in Thailand, I just go-with-the flow, enjoy the family events and ignore the "history".

I think we have the best of both worlds.
    [i][color=#0000FF]"One day our descendants will think it incredible that we paid so much attention to things like the amount of melanin in our skin, or the shape of our eyes, or our gender, instead of the unique identities of each of us as complex human beings."
    ~ Franklin Thomas[/color][/i]

9. 3 Users gave Like to post:

bobsaigon2 (September 24th, 2017), joe552 (September 26th, 2017), TaoR (October 16th, 2017)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

stockholm syndrome....no wonder the country is the way it is...no hope

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by latintopxxx View Post
    stockholm syndrome....no wonder the country is the way it is...no hope
    latin, you can be such an asshole sometimes (all the time). Why did you take the trouble to post that. What country is in the way it with no hope? Just stick to your posts about your 500Bt fucks - about all you can do.

Yrean, thanks for you post. An interesting alternative to one or other of you moving and adjusting to another country. Glad it's working for you. Have to ask you, though. your surname can be read as a very popular Irish surname. Would I be right? I know that's a very person question, so answer by PM or not at all. Maybe your ancestors went over early on?

I'm very interested in my family history. There was a story that one of my great great's came over to Ireland when the Hugenots moved from France to escape persecution. I traced both sides back to the 1820s, and not a bit of French blood, although the Hugenots came much earlier. In fact, neither side of the family came from further than about 3 or 4 miles from where I was born (in Dublin city centre) and where I still live.

I had an email last year from the daughter of a cousin of mine who went to Australia. She'd found my website online (where else, Joe?). Interesting to talk to her.

Anyway, sorry, that went on a bit longer than I intended!

Oh, and Bob - glad to hear you've made a happy life over there. Always good to hear the success stories!

Liked

I would have my Vietnamese bf over here in a heartbeat - and he is desperate to come. But without re-hashing all our UK Visa travails - it doesnt look like it will ever happen.

However we are trying yet again to get a Visitor visa for Xmas and New Year and I have even invited his father in the hope that might assist in securing it - so watch this space but I have no expectation of success

Liked

Ah, SG I really hope you can make that happen. But fuck, winter in Scotland compared to Vietnam? I have relatives in Fife and Glasgow who I'd happily visit in June or July, but Christmas? Not a fuckin' chance!

Bob, the sausage you mention - is that what we call white pudding? Also comes in black pudding. Usually served with proper Irish breakfast or the other version - English/Welsh/Scottish. We always had it for Saturday tea. No cooked breakfast in the morning - a bowl of cornflakes (or yucky porridge in winter) and a cup of tea, then off to work or school. But on Saturday evening, most of the family were home, so we'd do the whole full Irish fry. Hated the black pudding! Could I bring over some white pudding in January if you're having a craving? Bought in my local butcher, not supermarket shite.

Just let me know.