Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Upcoming visit?

Liked

Upcoming visit?

Hi again guys. Thanks for all the responses to my earlier thread about finding my old squeeze in Sisaket or wherever he is. For health reasons, I'm considering going to Pattaya in January or February of 2018 - probably my last visit (no, I'm not about to kick the bucket!), I wondered what your preferred airline is flying from western Europe? In the past, I've flown both Etihad and Emirates, with a stop in Abu Dhabi or Dubai - which I like - the break gives me a chance to have a cigarette and a walk around. Which would be your preferred option and are there any others I might consider? Budget is a big factor at this stage.

Also, the last few trips I've stayed in Mosaik, and been very happy with it. Is there somewhere new I might think about? I usually allow about 1,000Bt a night (can that be right? haven't converted from a long time). I like to be close to Sunee or Boystown (sorry, Jomtien is for day trips only), but my impression from reading the board is that Sunee is quieter than ever. I know my favourite bar, All of Me, has closed, and I'll certainly visit again, but would it be better to base myself near to Boystown?

Thanks for any latest information.

Joe

Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Liked

Re: Upcoming visit?

For price and service quality from Europe to Asia, it's hard to look past the Arab carriers like Emirates, Etihad, and Qatar.

What I find though is that their prices fluctuate wildly and you just can't predict which of the 3 will be cheapest or dearest by up to 300 quid.

I'm just back from Vietnam and on this occasion I flew with Qatar from EDI as the price was almost 300 pounds less than Emirates from GLA. Qatar is a Skytrax 5 Star airline and also Airline of the Year 2017 - but I think they must have got those awards the same way they got the World Cup! Nothing wrong with them but nothing different from the others.

One thing though - I found on the Saigon-Doha route they used an A330 which (and I've never seen this before on any aircraft) had no ventilation outlets above your head. The cabin temperature seemed to be about 30C and I was extremely uncomfortable for 7 hours. Purely because of that I'd check which aircraft they use before booking again. The other leg was on on a Dreamliner and that was fine.

All in all my order of preference would be Emirates, Etihad, then Qatar - with price most likely dictating the choice.

I don't use Skyscanner or any of those sites (initially) - I recommend this site which lists more flights than any other, will allow you to compare prices from numerous departure airports, and has a multiplicity of options and filters:

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Note: It quotes published fares and once I find my preferred flight I then go to the likes of Skyscanner or Kayak where you will often find a 20/30 pound reduction between individual travel agents.

Good luck!!
    Last edited by scottish-guy; September 7th, 2017 at 14:08.

Liked

Oh I meant to say (edit timed out) be aware that Emirates lowest fares inevitably have long layovers in Dubai (not the usual 2 hours - more like 6 or 8 hours), don't allow you to choose a seat after booking unless you pay 4x seat assignment fees of about 20 quid a shot, and have a much reduced luggage allowance.

What starts off as an attractive looking price with Emirates can look distinctly onerous once you look into it. I think Michael O'Leary is working for them on the side.

Liked

If you want a direct flight, try EVA. I've used it for twenty plus years and prefer it to BA and Thai. A number of pluses....cost, arrival/departure times; reliability (eighty two-way trips and only one delay of more than two hours.)
    The Premium Economy is worth it if you can afford the extra

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Hi joe, nice to "see" you again.

I would concur with both of the above re Emirates and Eva, but recently I've found Emirates to be fine, cheap prices, good flights and there is a 2 hour lay over option for Dublin to Dubai ( I think it was) which works just great.

Re accommodation I still go tye mosaic route myself as imro be it's bang central to everything as it's only a 5 minute stroll to boystown or Sunee and handy too if you DO want to try Jomtien ( which is a lot more busy at night now than it used to be and is worth a wee scoot past of an evening just to see the craic there too perhaps.

Glad to hear you're heading back and that not croaking it "just yet" like the rest of us :-)

Liked

Hi NIrish - yes, over the years I've found Emirates to be fine also, but over the last year or so they have definitely downgraded the very cheapest fares.

There are now 4 classes of Economy ticket: Special (lowest), Saver, Flex, and Flex Plus (highest)

If you want the 2 hour layover in Dubai rather than 6 or 8 hours then my experience is that you won't get it for their lowest fare, you'll have to move up in price to the next tier. Neither will you get the 30Kg luggage allowance, a choice of seat before check-in, or the full Skywards miles award.

Having said that, I'm looking at a scenario from GLA where there are 2 Emirates flights a day - maybe if there's only a single flight per day from DUB it might just work out nicely for Joe. If you don't care where you sit (I do) or don't carry over 20Kg luggage (I do) and are smart enough to realise that the Skywards programme is essentially worthless to anybody not flying Business or First these days, then the other conditions on their lowest fares won't bother you.

All I'm saying is watch the small print.

I've used EVA as well but as they fly from London I have to factor in the extra time and cost getting there. Plus from memory there is difficulty getting back from LHR on the return, with I think only one available flight back to GLA
    Last edited by scottish-guy; September 7th, 2017 at 15:31.

Liked

My, aren't we all up early this morning! Thanks for the replies

Oliver, thanks. I've flown Eva premium economy once before from Heathrow. I'd quit drinking and decided to treat myself (honestly, it's true). While I like the airline, I hate Heathrow (and CDG!) Since there are now 3 mid-east airlines flying from Dublin, that's my preferred option.

SG and NIrish, thanks again. I'll give Mosaik a go, as I really like it's locations, and it's rooms with a balcony are great for me, as I don't sleep well and like to have a smoke and a beer at 4 in the morning (oh come on, it's Pattaya!)

Liked

Btw (is that a word now?) I'm back in touch with the guy I spent most of my time with on my last holiday. Now working in a massage parlour and training to be a massage teacher. Moved on from the internet cafe where he used to work. Upwardly mobile?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Smoke or Smaoke

And yes SG you're right re all those 'drawbacks" but after making those mistakes over the years I've now got it off to a fine are of not giving a shit about all that other stuff ( which the exception of the seat choice) and I DO make sure I bring under 20kgs ( which considering there are two laundry women right downstairs from Mosiak is just fine should I need it). Also I was finding that if I travelled on elsewhere I was then getting royally screwed by each of those airlines too for luggage costs - so now I'm a 20kilos and under guy and don't miss the bulk I used to carry ( ahh if only I could say that for my waistline !) in fact I'm off on Saturday to tour Italy for 10 days and my partner and I are both just taking carry on HAND luggage only so THAT should be "interesting" - although I'm actually in the middle of packing right now and it's just surprising what you can fit in a hand luggage case these days when you pack correctly by rolling stuff up etc - as for my make up bag and evening dresses, well, I've just NO idea HOW I'm going to manage getting THAT all in and still be under the 20kgs !

All the other stuff about that loyalty programme etc generally you're right however I have had a few updgrades to business and I also "bought" a nice watch from the Emirates online store a few months back using miles as I'd a load lying there that were about to expire so just used then up that way/ So whilst I find those programmes a pain in the ass can do "pay out" a bit if used correctly.

My only annoyance is that if you book say Dublin to Bkk - yes you get the upgrade on the way out but ONLY on the first leg i.e Dublin to Dubai and my view is FUCK OFF my ticket says Dublin to BANGKOK you cheating fucks NOT only to Dubai ! But that's just me perhaps
    Last edited by Nirish guy; September 7th, 2017 at 16:05.

Liked

I had an upgrade to business with Etihad a few years ago and as NIrish says, it was only the first leg to Abu Dhabi. I enjoyed it, but surprisingly, we arrived at the same time as the economy passengers! Wouldn't pay for it even if I had the money (which I don't, I hasten to add!)

Ah guys, it's great to be back!