Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone reside in Chaing Mai?

Liked

Anyone reside in Chaing Mai?

Ok, this is quite weird and awkward. Simply put, we're out of this house on Nov 6th, and instead of getting a new house in Khon Kaen, I've decided to just bootstrap it, and move us to Chaing Mai instead. Not exactly how I planned this, but it's what's going to happen.

I'm looking for someone who's on the ground in Chaing Mai and can provide assistance. I need a temporary residence for a month or two, while we get our footing, and find a more permanent residence. Only requirements are furnished, two bedrooms, utilities including internet, and a large gated yard for the dogs.

Payments will be in cash or transfer into Thai bank account. We don't have ID, except for a Laos passport, which is somewhat the sticking point here. Both Leo and myself are good people, and no problems with us. The dogs are both great boys, but well.... they're dogs.

Thought I would try here first, so we don't have to deal with any homophobic bullshit. Really though, I'm blind, Leo's an idiot, I have the dogs, we're out of this house on Nov 6th, so if there's anyone out there who can possibly provide assistance, please let me know. If wanted, I'll be happy to pay for your time, as we can't do this outselves.

We're just going to show up in a pickup truck with the dogs, with hopes we have comewhere to stay. Again, not exactly how I planned it, but it's what will happen. If anyone can possibly provide assistance, we would extremely appreciate it. Please contact me via PM if you're available.

Thanks.

2. User who gave Like to post:

BonTong (September 4th, 2017)

Liked

Re: Anyone reside in Chaing Mai?

I can ask Woody to assist if you want.
    Bali (Indonesia), Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Laos: gay guides and companions http://siamroads.com

Senior member RonanTheBarbarian's Avatar
    Liked

Don't live in Chiang Mai, but I think that as it is such a centre for "digital nomads" there will be no shortage of information online about the pleasures and pitfalls moving to live in that city.

Here is a Youtube playlist by an expat from the USA, completely devoted to the subject of finding an apartment in Chiang Mai (he has a few different playlists about different aspects of living in CM):

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...9NSGzt1Gx1KgjS

Very much focused on the cheapest end of the market, as you shall see.

Your main problem is that short term places to get you started in Chiang mai (say places that rent on a week-to-week basis) are more likely to be apartments, which will not be set up for dogs.

5. 2 Users gave Like to post:

BonTong (September 4th, 2017), christianpfc (September 12th, 2017)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    We don't have ID, except for a Laos passport, which is somewhat the sticking point here.
    matt, now that does say it all.

7. User who gave Like to post:

bobsaigon2 (September 4th, 2017)

Liked

@Moses -- Thinking about it, that might be perfect, and much better than some random farang I find on the internet. I jumped the gun a bit here, as we do have until Nov 6th, but I'll drop you a PM in the next couple weeks. I'll get Leo to chat with him a bit, and we'll go from there.

@Ronan -- Thanks, but no need for convincing. Decision is already 100% made, we're going to Chiang Mai. I just didn't expect it to happen like this, as this is unplanned, but oh well, it's how life goes.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    matt, now that does say it all.

Don't be a Trump. Just because I'm an illegal immigrant, doesn't mean I'm a rapist who's ruining society.

Liked

Chiang Mai has changed so much in recent years. Suggest you think carefully where you want to live and the type of lifestyle you aspire to. The city centre has become a construction site and traffic jam. So many people I know have moved out to the more rural areas outside town. Fine if you have transport and want a quiet life, but coming into the city for nightlife becomes difficult, especially with more and more drink driving checks (if that is your thing).

Your description rules out an apartment implying a house, or at least a town/shop house with outdoor area. In the central area, there used to be a good supply of houses for rent, but they've been tearing them down all over to build condos and shop house rows so they are increasingly hard to find. You will likely have to look further out in the suburbs or hinterland to find what you want.

As Ronan stated, it could be hard to find a short term house for let, six months is probably the minimum, a year more likely. Some also may not accept animals, including dogs. Though you could just leave the dogs out in the soi like everyone else seems to.

Also be aware that CM immigration was having a big crackdown on TM30 (I think that's the number - anyway the form that must be submitted by the landlord) earlier this year. That is going to be a problem if you don't have suitable ID, though I'm sure there are Thai landlords who still ignore it. You may also get the BIB visiting if the landlord doesn't pay for a "red box", but then they'll visit every day if you do have a "red box" .

Sorry to strike a pessimistic note, just trying to give some realistic advice.
    Chiang Mai Connoisseur - [url=http://www.gayinchiangmai.com/News/]www.gayinchiangmai.com[/url] and [url=http://www.bontong.com/]www.bontong.com[/url]

Liked

You should use the app mister bnb, it's like air bnb but for gays. I just looked and there's loads of junk in that area listed. You'd have to search through and see what listings if any match ur needs.

Liked

What's a "Red Box"?
    At the check-in desk I overheard a very nervous passenger asking to be put in the Black Box.
    Would it be the latest "must have" feature of a fetish guesthouse replete with whips and red leather couches?

Liked

No, BongTong is right, and they have been doing a crackdown on foreigners in the past ~12 months. It's been happening here in Khon Kaen as well, so I'm sure the same is true for Chiang Mai.

If you're a property / house owner, you're required by law to fill out some form and report to the government if / when a foreign alient is living within your residence. Not too big of a deal for us, except just need to find a landlord who's willing to forget to submit that form to the government.