Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: credit card skimmed

Forum's veteran
    Liked

credit card skimmed

Even though I only used my card to pay my hotel bill and withdraw cash once from an ATM...so only used it twice...somehow it got skimmed...luckily my bank has good systems in place and put a stop on it when they noticed transactions taking place in BKK and Russia within the space of 2 hours.
    ATM looked legit, can only assume it was at the Pattaya hotel....but as Im not sure not going to defame them here, but have discussed my suspicions with my bank....not sure what they are gonna do about it.

Liked

Re: credit card skimmed

Genuinely sorry to hear about that.

Way back maybe 2000/2002 and being a naive newbie to Thailand I had my credit card cloned (that was the fraudsters technology at the time) at a certain large go-go bar in Soi Twilight. Of course I would never dream of using a credit card in such a place now but I was reckless at the time.

In those days the forgery took time and as it was paper credit card slips on manual imprint machines any transactions took a while to appear.

Transactions started to appear from Australia and Singapore - but as I could easily prove I had not been in either country (no visa stamps) the Bank refunded all the charges.

Hope you get it sorted.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I carry insurance for this so there is no cost to me...only the hassle of getting new cards and spending 1/2 hour on the phone with the fraud division. I keep card use to an absolute minimum when in Thailand and never let it out of my sight but still got caught...

Liked

How fo you know for sure it was in Thailand?

Anyway, bitcoin! b

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Latin said "to pay my hotel bill and withdraw cash once from an ATM"

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    Anyway, bitcoin! b
    Yeah except meanwhile "in the REAL world" good luck trying to use bitcoin re either of those things......( no matter WHAT you claim Matt)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Well i suspect it was in Thailand because usually when this sort of thing happens the crims will attempt to use it asap. The BKK transaction was for jewelry...followed by a similar purchase in Russia. Both the BKK & Russian transactions took place on my 2nd last day in Thailand...so I assume the skimming took place in Thailand..but yeah see your point...I really cant be sure.
    Bitcoin.....really.....?!

Liked

Bitcoin is useless? In the past hour just sitting here as a blind idiot I did:

- Deposited 2 months of rent into a Thai bank account
    - Paid Leo's mother back the little he owed her by depositing in her Laos bank account
    - Paid my hosting server bill
    - Had a good chunk of money sent via Western Union for Leo to pick up, so we have money for daily living
    - Ordered a couple bank cards, so we can finally cut out the Western Union bullshit, and I can just put the money on the cards we can use at any ATM instead
    - Oh, and registered a domain name

All with bitcoin, and all from sitting here in my bed in my underwear. And all in about an hour.

Not to mention, rate is about $4500 USD now. At some point, you guys are going to have to accept this as at the very least a "mainstream thing" if not a currency.

8. User who gave Like to post:

Dax (August 31st, 2017)

Liked

Matt:
    I believe you have been a 'Bitcoin buddy' for many years now, extolling it's wondrous virtues and telling us that even the local vegetable stall holder gleefully accepts these little thingies in return for her homegrown pak choi. Well having got in at the early stage I would have thought that your Bitcoin account would be bulging. And yet in so many other posts you complain about the cost of this and the cost of that, even worrying about the Bt18000 ($685 maple syrup dollars) it would cost to buy Leo his visa/work permit whateveritisthingyymijig. So. it seems there is a bit (geddit) of a credibility gap between some of your posts. I'm just a curious passer by on this issue.

10. User who gave Like to post:

sglad (August 31st, 2017)

Liked

Why would thinking bitcoin is an excellent, fast, secure and private method of financial exchange mean I'm rich?

I'm not bruce_nyc. But yes, for over 4 years now I've been paid solely in bitcoin.

Liked

Because if you haven't mad an absolute killing on it then it means you've been spending every $ you make. Which is very hard to believe. Simple economics really.

13. User who gave Like to post:

Nirish guy (August 31st, 2017)