Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
First, sorry Justaguy, never noticed that post. Seen the first sentence of the reply, but didn't notice there was more.

My $0.02 though, of course give him the 5000 baht. What are you doing? If you don't, there's a chance he will be more bitter with you than he already is, and in all honesty, understandably so.

Not to be a dick, but what the hell went through your mind to make you think that little stunt was a good way to handle things? Are you an 11 year old school girl, or? Talk about petty, and you drastically damaged his life by doing that. Really classy.

Point taken, although I doubt I drastically damaged his life. I personally think he shouldn't even stay with a guy that is so homophobic that he made his son marry a girl many years ago (he was married to some girl for two years, just to please his father). To me that is much more damaging then now not being allow to stay at his birthplace.

I was always sceptical of him moving back to Lao just for this reason (and the reason that he would not have a steady income).

What you don't know because I did not disclose this is that
I was the one that made it possible for him to go back to Lao. The mistake I made is that I did not tell him that his plans to remain in Lao were guaranteed to fail. His mother also told him, what you plan to do cannot be done.

But I was stupid enough to make him believe that if he just worked hard enough, he would succeed. I should have told him from the beginning, what you plan to do does not work, he had no idea whatsoever what he was getting himself into, due to his inability or maybe unwillingness to properly plan and inform himself about the field in which he was planning to make a living. Later on, I kept pressuring him to go to work in Vientiane, but that was cut short when we stopped communicating. In the 13 weeks that passed, he just stayed put, instead of using some of the money to get himself a paying job.

He initially would return to Bangkok, which would have been the smartest thing to do. One of his best friends, is also a very good friend of mine, he asked him if he could stay at his room, and he was supposed to be arriving mid July. But alas he did not go, and now is in financial trouble again.

In retrospect, I should have insisted he kept working in Bangkok for another year or so, he had a valid work permit, and he should have utilized it to make some more money before returning to Laos. I now regret that I did not do more to convince him that this would be a far better idea.