Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Work VISA for Laos citizen

Liked

Work VISA for Laos citizen

aInstead of me trying to research it, I thought it'd be easier just to ask here. I remember in another thread a while back someone mentioned it's 12,000 baht for a 1 year work VISA for a Laos citizen. Has anyone (recently) been through the process? If so, any info on how to move forward with that would be greatly appreciated.

He just wants to grab a job as a waiter or something, probably at one of the farang restaurants in town since his English is really good, plus speaks fluent Thai as well. Does he already need to have a job lined up with an employer willing to sponsor him, is he even allowed to get a job as a waiter since Thais can do that job?

Anyway, any info on getting him a work VISA for Thailand would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Banned
    Liked

Re: Work VISA for Laos citizen

There is really no such thing as a work visa. A Work Permit is obtained by an employer for an employee, but a visa (providing the right to stay in Thailand for a period of time) must be obtained by the individual. Usually, an individual (including someone from AEC) will enter Thailand on some sort of shot term visit visa or visa free entry, receive the work permit from the employer and then apply for a longer term visa to allow him to stay for a year or two. An employer can obtain only one work permit for a farang for every 4 Thais that he employees, but that ratio does not apply to employees from AEC. However, AECs do not count towards the number of Thais that must be employed (4) for each farang. Unlikely to be a problem for a restaurant or bar in KK.

Liked

There indeed is a work visa (or actually a work permit) for Lao citizens. It cost 18.000 baht and is valid for two years. And no, it's usually not the employer that takes care of it, The employee can obtain it using various agencies. Have a look on facebook, there is dozens of them.

Minimee, this is NOT a regular work permit for foreigners. There is a special program for workers from neighboring countries, where none of the usual WP requirements (like four Thais for every foreigner) are valid.

And to answer the last question, Lao Citizens CAN apply for protected jobs (like waiter) where other foreigners can not.

I have several good friends that obtained the work permit, all of them in waiting jobs. I don't think one actually needs to be employed already either.

Liked

Ok, great, thanks. That pretty much lines ip with what Leo has told me as well. He's in Laos at the moment, but we'll get the process started once he gets back.

18,000 is actually quite expensive, idn't it? For us it's fine, because I'm happy to fork over 18,000 for it, plus Leo doesn't have any living costs. If you don't have a sponsor though, and just want to grab a job at a hotel or restaurant in Bangkok, wouldn't that be a little expensive for your average Laos guy? You're probably only going to make around 9000 baht/month, and after living costs probably won't have much left over at the end of the month. It'd probably take a year to save up enough for the 18,000 VISA fee, no?

Oh well, doesn't apply to our situation. Thanks again for the info.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

If u "love" Leo then I suggest you show your commitment to the budding loving relationship and pay the 18k. It's peanuts. Equivalent of 3 nights in an upmarket hotel.
    Or Leo could just sell his butt, if he's even half good at the sex thing he'll earn it within a week.
    Real simple really.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post

18,000 is actually quite expensive, idn't it?
    My understanding is as follows:

Work Permit (2 years) Bht 1900

Health Check Bht 3700

Visa Bht 1900

The Visa cost, for some reason, varies from province to province. (It's double the cost in Bangkok) The figure quoted is for Chiang Mai.

A figure of Bht 18000 would be beyond the means of most migrants.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

i believe u underestimate a migrants will power...if they r willing to risk their lives crossing war torn countries and the med to get to europe then whats bht18k

Liked

Oh yes, sorry forgot to mention, the 18K figure is for Bangkok. Did not know it was cheaper in other provinces, so if it's half the price it would be dirt cheap, remember it's a two year WP.

Some but certainly not all employers pay for those WP and possibly deduct the cost out of the salary over a certain period of time.

In any case, for Leo this would be the most cheap option to remain in Thailand, as no border runs are required.

Liked

Ok, thanks. Just realized when you mentioned border runs, this whole job thing won't work anyway. I already know he'll be unwilling to give up his monthly trips to Laos to visit his freinds and family, and spent time in his village. Then I doubt many bosses will keep someone on who demands a week of vacation every 30 days.

Oh well, up to him, not me. If I was him and actually wanted to work, I'd just setup our charcoal grill on the street beside us, and start selling pork or something, as loads of foot traffic there including lots of school children. He could probably easily pocket say 600 baht/day, times 20 days = 12,000/month. Considering he doesn't have any bills, that's alright for him.

Up to him, just don't complain to me that you're bored and want to work.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

wow..u can really pick them...

11. User who gave Like to post:

frequent (August 29th, 2017)