FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice on Logistics

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Advice on Logistics

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    OK, let me be more specific just for the hard of thinking - like MiniMee:

In 17 or 18 trips to the 4 main gay tourist areas in Thailand I have never had a taxi overcharging problem.

Is that any clearer dear?
    I've heard of hard of hearing but hard of thinking? You guys come up with the best zingers.

No exorbitant taxi charges in Phuket and Pattaya? The tuk-tuks in Chiang Mai have been known to overcharge.

Liked

I've never used a street taxi/van in Phuket - by basing myself near the Paradise Centre I have no need of them on a daily/nightly basis and if I want to go further afield by taxi I get the Hotel to arrange a car.

A little planning works wonders!

I confess to only having visited Chiang Mai once (that was enough) - but I don't recall any overcharging.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Rabbit View Post
    Upcoming trip to Pattaya and I would like to get some advice on getting from BKK to Jomtiem

I have taken the Bus before, I like this option, drops me close to the hotel, BUT I'm arriving at BKK at about 5pm along with about 15-20 other international flights, so I anticipate a long wait through immigration. Not sure if I want to wait for a bus at that point and if there is already a line, possibility of waiting another hour for next bus. (Anyone have experience catching the bus at around this time on a weekday?)
    In 2013, when I was living near Don Mueang airport, I took local bus to Suvarnabhumi airport, arrived there on Friday afternoon 4 or 5 pm, and in some cases had to wait over one hour for the next+1 bus because the next bus was booked out.

If your flight arrives at 5 pm, and you take the bus, depending on what part of nightlife you want to participate in, it will be a bit too late for gogo bars, but right for discos.

If you have time, you can take the train from Pattaya (only on weekdays, only one departure around 14:30) to Don Mueang, with change in Hua Lampong, cost between 40 and 50 Baht, and time between 6 and 8 hours.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc View Post
    If you have time, you can take the train from Pattaya (only on weekdays, only one departure around 14:30) to Don Mueang, with change in Hua Lampong, cost between 40 and 50 Baht, and time between 6 and 8 hours.
    Why on EARTH would anyone even consider that sort of time commitment, complete with station changes when on Holiday Christian for the sake of saving some baht?

5. 3 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (August 16th, 2017), Dalewood (August 15th, 2017), francois (August 15th, 2017)

Liked

For the experience. Something different. I was just pointing out the possibility of travelling from Pattaya to Don Mueang entirely by train.

Now that you mention it (saving some Baht), some years ago my neighbor on the airplane asked me how he can get from Suvarnabhumi airport to Aranyaprathet for under 100 THB (he had business in Cambodia and did not want to change money, use only the 100 THB he had). He asked the right person!

Liked

And I bet with your advice he got there with 50B left!!

It reminds me of this joke:

Q: Who invented copper wire?
    A: Two Scots fighting over the same penny

8. 3 Users gave Like to post:

bobsaigon2 (August 16th, 2017), christianpfc (August 17th, 2017), Smiles (September 1st, 2017)

Liked

I just used PT Taxi Service and they were AMAZING! Only 1000 Baht front BKK to Jomtien. AND- my flight was An hour late and this driver waited for me (waits at the arrivals hall with your name on sign). Considering this was 1am, middle of the night, wow!

Also used them to go back from Tuk Com area of Pattaya to BKK and paid 900 Baht. Picked me up at 0430 and was right on time.

Great service, reliable, good cost, no drama or problems!

Cheers!

http://www.pttaxiservice.com/

10. 2 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (September 8th, 2017), splinter1949 (September 1st, 2017)

Liked

The Rabbit seems to be burrowing his way to Jomtien.
    Perhaps he will emerge in the middle of the soi somewhere between The Venue and La Dolce Vita ... complaining all the way about the rocky soil.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
    What does that mean?
    Seventeen years of taking taxis in Bangkok and I can think of precisely one ride which could be seriously described as 'poor'.
    Details would be appreciated.
    I know this is old, but I've just started to think about staying in Jomtien vs Boys Town and saw this. For the last three trips to Pattaya I just walked outside the terminal and got a taxi. 1,500 Bhat plus tip - held steady for years. Only issue was one driver who did not know where Ambience was and I had to direct him. On 28 trips my time in Bangkok, prior to Sky Train featured heavy use of cabs, I was younger and all over the city. Only one instance, I asked for the Grand Palace and the driver took me to the current royal residence. White priviledge? Driver and I both laughed.