List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Estonia sounds quite enlightened - I guess that'll be why the British Nationalists wish to dissociate us from it.

Liked

Re: Estonia sounds quite enlightened - I guess that'll be why the British Nationalists wish to dissociate us from it.

Though I'm loathe to get between the English & the Scots I have to agree that one is never required to prove a negative.
    The ancient geeks knew this years ago.
    Theists use this device all the time as in "But can you prove that God does NOT exist?"
    I counter with something like this;
    "A family of goblins live at the bottom of my garden, can you prove that they don't?"

Liked

Re: Estonia sounds quite enlightened - I guess that'll be why the British Nationalists wish to dissociate us from it.

Sorry but it's nothing to do with "proving a negative" - the issue is very simple:

If Frequent is going to pronounce someone else to be wrong, there's an obligation on him to justify his pronouncement.

Liked

This from Wikipedia regarding Goblins.

"They are ascribed various and conflicting abilities, temperaments and appearances depending on the story and country of origin. They are almost always small and grotesque, mischievous or outright evil, and greedy, especially for gold and jewelry."

Sounds like the current White House to me.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Yes, these days, many of us Americans are reluctant to reveal our country of citizenship, but we are quickly identified by our accent, size, clothing, etc. In my next life, I plan to be born a Canadian.

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    Sorry but it's nothing to do with "proving a negative" - the issue is very simple:

If Frequent is going to pronounce someone else to be wrong, there's an obligation on him to justify his pronouncement.
    Despite such past Scottish intellectuals as David Hume, sadly scottish-guy is a somewhat confused thinker. I never said he was wrong; I said there is no basis in fact for his assertion. Neither of those are pronouncements by the way. All scottish-guy has to do is to produce the facts - which of course he hasn't - to disprove me. I cannot prove that there are no facts. I therefore invite scottish-guy to produce the facts to support his statement "you can be damn sure all racists and xenophobes are Brexiteers". His response is in fact classic confirmation bias - picking and choosing what he will and won't believe according to his a priori prejudices, in the best traditions of ... oh, what's his name? Ah yes, Donald Trump

Liked

Don't you mean Goblin Trump?

As a wicked thought, I would just love a political cartoonist to run with the thought of Trump as a Goblin.
    (No-one in the US seems to understand the use of satirical drawings of political figures.)
    [i][color=#0000FF]"One day our descendants will think it incredible that we paid so much attention to things like the amount of melanin in our skin, or the shape of our eyes, or our gender, instead of the unique identities of each of us as complex human beings."
    ~ Franklin Thomas[/color][/i]

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Yraen View Post
    Don't you mean Goblin Trump?

As a wicked thought, I would just love a political cartoonist to run with the thought of Trump as a Goblin.
    (No-one in the US seems to understand the use of satirical drawings of political figures.)
    As you're an Australian I'm surprised you're not singing the praises of your own cartoonist David Rowe. His drawings of Trump - available on both Instagram and Twitter - are quite splendid

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by frequent View Post
    As you're an Australian I'm surprised you're not singing the praises of your own cartoonist David Rowe. His drawings of Trump - available on both Instagram and Twitter - are quite splendid
    Thanks for your 'pointer'. Until that time I had never heard of David Rowe. He publishes in newspapers, Twitter and Instagram none of which I read. I have since looked through a lot of his Trump-themed drawings and, while many are sufficiently satirical and would entertain many Australians, unfortunately they do not appear to get to the USA.

That kinda misses the point, surely? Oh dear, yes, I forgot the USian sense of humour!? Rowe's art would go over the head of the target.
    [i][color=#0000FF]"One day our descendants will think it incredible that we paid so much attention to things like the amount of melanin in our skin, or the shape of our eyes, or our gender, instead of the unique identities of each of us as complex human beings."
    ~ Franklin Thomas[/color][/i]

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Yraen View Post
    He publishes in newspapers, Twitter and Instagram none of which I read.
    I guess he hasn't moved into Captain Marvel comics yet then?