Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thailand Entry Problems

Liked

Re: Thailand Entry Problems

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    No idea about all this, but I can verify that Leo has been coming from Laos every month since last July (July 28th to be exact) without any issues, or requirements to show 20,000 baht. He'll be leaving in a couple days again, so I can confirm he gets through without issue again in about 10 days if anyone wants.
    No need, he will be allowed to exit Thailand, and come straight back for another 30 days stamp. He might need to pay a small fee, but they know full well he is most likely illegally working in Thailand, but they don't care, as said if they would, the Thai economy would collapse, that much is absolutely certain. It's the "illegal workers" from the countries that get a free visa exempt stamp (non mutual) that they are after, or as sglad said, the perputual tourists.

The 20K does not prove you are not working in Thailand but is being used as a reason to deny someone entry.

Someone that does not have multiple back to back tourist visas or entries on visa exempt, will not have to show the money, they will be allowed into the country no questions asked. The perpetual tourists are targetted, as they have been for quite a few years. The limit of two overland exempt stamps in a calendar year is targeting the exact same people. This is just step two.

2. User who gave Like to post:

sglad (July 22nd, 2017)

Liked

Yep, you are correct. It's a 100 baht "fee" to get a 30 day VISA exempt stamp, which is fine with me. About 1100 baht/year to not have to worry about the "you can only stay in Thailand 6 out of 12 months" law? Sounds like a good deal to me!

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    Yep, you are correct. It's a 100 baht "fee" to get a 30 day VISA exempt stamp, which is fine with me. About 1100 baht/year to not have to worry about the "you can only stay in Thailand 6 out of 12 months" law? Sounds like a good deal to me!
    But wasn't it only a few weeks ago that you were talking about buying him a Thailand Elite visa? How's that whole process going, by the way?

Liked

Yeah, that was a thought of mine, I told him about it, and he said he doesn't want one as it's too expensive. From what he says, not really needed anyway, as he'll probably never get denied anyway.

Liked

You might want to get Leo a work permit. For Laotians (and Cambodians and Burmese) there is a separate work permit scheme. Depending on what company you use, price is ranging from 12,000 to 18,000 baht, which yields a work permit valid for two years. Seriously less expensive than an elite visa, and no border runs.

Not all Laotians are working illegally.

Liked

Nah, the border runs work good for us. This way he gets to hang out in his home village with his friends and family for a week every month, which is good. Then I like it as well, because a little alone time is always good for a relationship, plus it helps ensure he'll never take what he has here for granted, even though I highly doubt he'd ever do that anyway.

Then after about a week in the village, he's bored and weary, and ready to come home, so it works nicely.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

This does lend some clarity. Don't know if it has been posted already:

http://nypost.com/2017/07/20/thailand-i ... -get-home/

Liked

[...the "you can only stay in Thailand 6 out of 12 months" law]

There is no such rule. Hasn't been for years.

10. User who gave Like to post:

2lz2p (July 22nd, 2017)

Liked

Really? Did the law get taken off the books, or is it simply no longer enforced?

Liked

Border entry rules have been changed a number of times in the past decade. That one goes way back.

It was dropped when they limited entries to 15 days for everyone except those from G7 countries. Then they went back to 30 days for all, plus 30 day extensions. Most recently they limited border entries to two per calendar year. Now, at borders and airports, they are pushing the long-existing 10,000 baht pocket cash rule for exempt entries and 20,000 baht for tourist visa entries (on a case-by-case basis).

13. User who gave Like to post:

2lz2p (July 22nd, 2017)