Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Smoking in Bars

Liked

Smoking in Bars

Having had grown up with a father who smoked since he was 14,passive smoking didnt bother me.
    In fact being like my Mother I had never touched a cigarette in my life except on one ocassion when I was in 5th grade at aged 9 I thought I would take a quick puff in the boys toilet but got caught my the strict Mr Orley (wonder where he'd be now?)

Well got 6 of the best across both palms of the hand by the old surly prick and it turned me off smoking for life.

After that I didnt see anything in it for me, however I believed in Smokers Rights and always thought it was much better a person smoke than drink alcohol, meaning the violence that goes with that !

Over the years in bars and public places I always gave Smokers permission to Smoke in front of me and I always thought the Anti Smoking complainers were just whingers who were hypocrites!

I mean people who dont smoke get Lung Cancer too right.

As I start to get older my tolerance to smoking seems to be going way down and I dont mean my personal judgement, I mean my tolerance towards it health wise.

Last year I went to a GO GO in one of the Pattayalands and they had a Show going on.

The place was pratically full except you could squeeze another person next to me.

The Mamasan walked in with a Russian guy and silly me being polite invited him to sit next to me.

He sat next to me without a word of a thankyou pushing his knees out so he would take more space.

Well you can think what he did next without asking, yes he lit up a very very smoky cigarette.

He didnt ask anyone around him but the Mamasan on seeing him light up quickly brought him an ashtray so he held it in frint of him inches from my face.

I thought I would be ok , having had passive smokers around me pratically all my life, so I continued to sit there until it hit me !!

The tickle down the throat, I just went into a coughing fit !!

Boris next to me didnt blink an eye lid as I coughed and coughed and spluttered.

A Norweigan middleaged Gay couple sitting next to me on the other side took pity on me and put his hand firmly on my back in between my shoulder blades and asked if I was ok.

I knew they were from Norway because for some reason out of the blue they told me " We are from Norway" in their thick accents.

Drinking my soft drink I managed to get myself back to just the clearing my throat stage. Ahem ahem ahem i spluttered trying to get my composure back !

For some strange reason i remembered Boris farting out loud and actually wished the minty smell would take over the stringy smoke.

I tried to talk " Who farted? I sqeaked but just couldnt get the words out !

But I couldnt hold the tickle in my throat and I immediately decided to leave passing Boris who was still oblivious to the coughing fit he caused and passing through his smoky smoke waving the smoke out of my way as I left towards the door and cashier.

When I got to the outside my throat was burning and I kept getting that acid reflux

That night I was coughing intermittently and you know how sometimes you know your getting the flu , well thats how I felt.I knew my body was going to be sick the next few days.

Over the next few days my throat was burning along with the flu symptoms, running nose , crackly voice etc unable to talk, coughing up green phlegm etc

That smoky smoke must of really hit my immune system and it was the most smokiest place I had ever been in along with Boris next to me didnt help.

After that I just couldnt tolerate being near the smoke,however I started taking high doses of Vitamin C before and during every trip which I believe did help , along with the garlic and horseradish tablets.

Problem is most beer Bars allow smoking but of Course you do have the option of trying to sit away from smokers unlike Go Go bars where your in the thick of it .

Dont get me wrong , im not against smokers, who am I to judge a smoker saying its bad for my health and there own health, , and then being a hypocrite I go and eat 5 Big Macs !!

I just personally cant tolerate it anymore otherwise I have no problem with smokers.

If I was a smoker I would go outside and smoke rather than put others near me through that.

I must admit though I find Smokers more sociable people , more friendly and willing to have a chat.

Be great to see a non smoking bar somewhere.

Last edited by Mickp; July 15th, 2017 at 22:32.

Liked

Re: Smoking in Bars

Sounds quite traumatic. Probably even more traumatic than going through civil war in Syria as a child, or something.

3. 3 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (July 16th, 2017), christianpfc (July 16th, 2017), francois (July 16th, 2017)

Banned
    Liked

The amount of damage normal pollution in large cities does every day to someone's lungs is far worse than an hour or two of passive smoking in a bar. However, the world these days revolves around outrage and virtue-signalling rather than an assessment of facts or, as Matt points out, relativities. The next big virtue-signalling push is probably going to be electric cars. Sure, operating an electric car will be environmentally friendly, but manufacturing the batteries for electric cars and then disposing off them certainly isn't. All you petrol car drivers can expect to be berated by the Mick Pavlovs of this world about your anti-social driving habits any time soon

Disclaimer: I don't own a car, haven't driven a car for 20+ years (ever since Skytrain) and believe Bangkok taxis and (worse) tuk-tuks are death traps

Liked

"""the world these days revolves around outrage and virtue-signalling rather than an assessment of facts or, as Matt points out, relativities""""

Must admit I had to look up the meaning of the word "relativities" but how true that statement is.

I think it could be the same with outrage over supermarket plastic bags and the push by some to ban these or greyhound racing ban etc.

Even though I dislike smoking I dont believe in all that "propaganda " that the Health Departments release alleging smoking causes Lung Cancer etc,rotting teeth , etc etc

There are still a lot that dont smoke that get lung Cancer.
    Last edited by Mickp; July 16th, 2017 at 06:11.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Mickp View Post
    ....There are still a lot that dont smoke that get lung Cancer.
    On a bit of a tangent (look it up Mick) - a disproportionately high number of very heavy smokers keep a dog or dogs (or cats), right?

As heavy smokers are not noted for their ability/penchant to exercise, it therefore follows that these animals are locked up with the heavy smoker maybe 23 hours a day - presumably inhaling the fug of cigarette smoke, right?

So why do we never hear of Lung Cancer induced by "passive smoking" killing millions of cats and dogs?

Just asking.

7. User who gave Like to post:

aarancam (July 21st, 2017)

Liked

Quote from an un-named troll ... oops, sorry, I meant idiot:
    "There are still a lot that dont smoke that get lung Cancer."
    Percent of folks who develop lung cancer and are/were smokers: 80% (look it up, it's all over the www -- but you knew that, right?)
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

9. 2 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (July 16th, 2017), francois (July 16th, 2017)

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
    Percent of folks who develop lung cancer and are/were smokers: 80%
    You're not, presumably, asserting the inverse, that 80% of smokers/former smokers develop lung cancer https://www.verywell.com/what-percen...cancer-2248868 - "(look it up, it's all over the www -- but you knew that, right?)"

Liked

Lots of mixed numbers in your link, Frequent - but if you follow the secondary links in the article it does come very close to that 80% figure (80-90% is cited)

I notice however that no-one so far is able to answer my question - where are all these dog and cat lung cancer passive smoking victims?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    I notice however that no-one so far is able to answer my question - where are all these dog and cat lung cancer passive smoking victims?
    Stronger immune systems? Dogs do in fact lick each others assholes ... and live to tell, (and yes ... they don't shower before licking, unlike the boys here).
    I cannot, will not, go deeply into the outrage of dogs-eating-each-others-shit as I am far to sensitive to go on at length about such an abomination. I think the Greeks did this, but will not investigate further.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

13. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (July 16th, 2017)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    there have been a number of studies over the last 20 years showing an increased risk of lung and other cancers in dogs and cats exposed to environmental tobacco smoke reported both in the journals and the popular press - if you are too lazy to do the google search yourself why should anyone else bother to do it for you?

bkkguy

15. User who gave Like to post:

francois (July 16th, 2017)