Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dodger's Trip Report

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Dodger's Trip Report

Hi you maniacs.

I really hate it when I hear people say…”I had a great time but it’s sure nice to be home” Personally I can’t think of one single think that’s nice about it.

I just returned home from my routine 3 month stay in LaLa Land and still trying to shake off the jet lag from the tortuous 27 hour journey home. It seems to be more tortuous as time moves forward. I guess it’s an age thing.

I haven’t been reading the forum but I’m sure you’re all aware of the construction work going on at Jomtien Beach which is intended to provide a more modern beach front. From the posters they have displayed near the police box the new beachfront will resemble a concrete jungle with the ambiance of a Walmart parking lot. I guess the massage boys will have to start using air mattresses.

I think the gay scene in general has reached a point where it has started to stabilize after the drastic decline we have been witnessing for the past 7 years. At least that’s my impression based on the number of gay host bars, gogo bars, etc. which are still in business and the number of customers you see out on the scene at night. A dismal comparison to the past for sure – but I haven’t seen much change during the past two years which is a good thing. I only visited the bar scene a handful of times during my holiday and glad to see that the lights are still burning. For the first time visitor I’m sure they find the scene as vibrant and exciting as some of us veterans experienced in the good old days.

I spent most of my time completing the renovation of a second studio I purchased last year in Bang Saray. Managing a bunch of local Thai workers is like trying to manage a class room filled with children with special needs. Their technique for cutting an opening in a concrete wall to add French doors involved one guy who I swear was either drunk from the night before or mentally handicapped swinging a sledge hammer as hard as he could until the wall simply started to crumble. No precision measurements, no scribing of lines, no power saw with carbide blade – just an old sledge hammer and a piece pf cardboard intended to prevent the falling concrete from damaging the floor tiles. I handed one guy a center punch from my tool box after watching him bend nail after nail during his attempts to install floor molding – and another time when I handed a guy my hack saw for fear that he was going to cut his hand off trying to cut a piece of PVC with a rusty little pen knife. It was like watching the Flint Stones.

My boyfriend and I spent about 80% of our time in Bang Saray and 20% in Pattaya which was really a nice balance. After living in a one room studio in Pattaya for so many years - having two rooms in Bang Saray is like living in a castle. We love having a separate bedroom, and he enjoys cooking his Thai delicacies in a real kitchen. I plan to start cooking more myself one day after I retire – but right now I’m just too lazy to do the dishes.

We intentionally avoided Songkran this year by staying in Bang Saray from April 13 to April 19, and then returned to Pattaya on April 20 right after the sois were cleaned and the mayhem had ceased. I used to love Songkran, but as they say…been there – done that.

I have been riding a motorbike for the past 18 years in Thailand without a motorbike driver’s license. I attempted to get one years ago, failed the test, got pissed off, and never turned back. This time I decided to get one and it was like sitting in a dentist chair without any pain sedatives. They now require you to take a 5 hour video training course before taking the actual driving test and computer test. The computer test has a first time failure rate of about 90% due to the fact that the questions are intentionally subjective and sometimes conflict with the information provided in the video course. The only way I passed this was by buying the Driving Instruction Book (which of course is only available in Thai language) and having my boyfriend translate it for me which took hours. Fortunately I passed the test. I also renewed my car driver’s license which was really a simple process which only required an eye exam.

The Arabs were (and probably still are) in full swing during their post-Ramadan celebrations. I don’t know what’s worse, the sounds of their blazing motorbikes as they circle the sois like a bunch of Indians corralling buffalo, or the ugly Walking Street tramps dressed like clowns that they drag along with them. The Thais in general don’t like these types of visitors and the police are losing their patience. I witnessed two separate motorbike accidents involving Arabs last week on soi Yensabai within an hour of each other. I was sitting with friends at 2Guys Guest House enjoying (or trying to enjoy) breakfast amidst a hundred Arabs circling the sois and revving up their motorbikes which of course are equipped with illegal mufflers (85 decibels max in Thailand). Unfortunately, there were no serious injuries.

I enjoyed rubbing elbows with old friends i.e., Undaunted, Big Mike, John (2 Guys), Professor Roger, Dee from Chiang Rai, Bud from DC and many others and glad to see that some things just don’t change. We inevitably end up talking about the splendor of “the old days”, but in all reality, things are pretty good just the way they are. Jomtien Plaza has a hundred (or more) anxious boys (Thai, Cambodian, Laotian) looking for a hook up on any given night. That in-and-by-itself is something you won’t find anywhere else in the world.

I can’t really tell you anything different about the bar scene that you don’t already know. I’ve been perfectly content with the lifestyle I’ve enjoyed for the past 4 years with my partner and the practice of waking up with a hangover and an empty wallet has somehow lost its luster. I guess Thailand is changing and I’m changing right along with it…enjoying every moment…grateful for every day that I am there….and, as always, counting the days till my return.

Cheers

2. 7 Users gave Like to post:

alipatt (July 19th, 2017), christianpfc (July 12th, 2017), Mickp (July 12th, 2017), MikaQ5 (July 14th, 2017), Moses (July 11th, 2017), Nathan B (July 22nd, 2017), splinter1949 (July 11th, 2017)

Liked

Re: Dodger's Trip Report

This is a nice report Dodger but posting it here a full three days after it went up on GB means we are getting sloppy seconds.

Liked

Is it mandatory for posts on the three main gay website to include some derogatory remarks about "the Arabs"? This bizarre obsession is odd....I'm up to seventy three visits to Pattaya over a period of twenty years and "the Arabs" have hardly crossed my path, and when they have done so it is only because I've enjoyed seeing (and smelling) the shisha bars that used to liven-up a decaying Sunee area. Plus an occasional shopper or two in Central.
    I can imagine some of our posters returning home with nothing to say about the guys, the bars and the fun and whose only topic of conversation is "them." Give it rest.

5. 4 Users gave Like to post:

Mickp (July 12th, 2017), Moses (July 11th, 2017), scottish-guy (July 12th, 2017), sglad (July 12th, 2017)

Liked

I agree Oliver the Arabic boys racing their bikes are just like the young Aussies and British who too race their rented bikes all around them Phuket except the difference is their usually drunk whilst doing it !!!

But if its not the Arabs then its someone else they are hating,(indians or pakistanis) ironically its the older Gay generation with this hate,thats why i prefer to be around younger people!!!

You can see by the way some of them behave on this board, being BULLIES and their not young either, some of them are in their 70's , maybe its a combination of their education and the way they were brought up?

I thought it was great seeing the Shisha places around Sunee instead of its now dark atmosphere.

I will admit I met a younger Arabic guy on Grindr last visit , lovely guy who was on vacation and asked for no money.

I love Dodgers reports though and I must admit I have met Dodger personally and he is a very positve type of guy who hates miserable and nasty people, he wont stand to listen to whingers or negative people , I love him !
    Last edited by Mickp; July 11th, 2017 at 23:40.

7. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Moses (July 11th, 2017), sglad (July 12th, 2017)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Mickp View Post
    But if its not the Arabs then its someone else they are hating,(indians or pakistanis) ironically its the older Gay generation with this hate,thats why i prefer to be around younger people!!!

You can see by the way some of them behave on this board, being BULLIES and their not young either, some of them are in their 70's , maybe its a combination of their education and the way they were brought up?
    I couldn't put my finger on it but I think you hit the nail on the head. The guys who don't like Arabs are also the ones who often don't like something or someone or some group or another. And it's possible this could be a generational and social conditioning thing, although I think it's much more of the latter. They've got an "us and them" mentality. No women, no partying younger guys, no Arabs, no dancing, no loud music; just older, corpulent white guys spread out in sedan chairs being entertained by impoverished, scantily clad, young Thai boys in some colonial-gay-ghetto-bubble. No wonder these businesses are dying - they haven't caught up with the times.
    Last edited by sglad; July 12th, 2017 at 04:09.

9. User who gave Like to post:

Mickp (July 12th, 2017)

Liked

Well said sglad! This thread had some of the most intelligent and enlightened observations on people

Liked

Sglad wrote:
    "guys spread out in sedan chairs being entertained by impoverished, scantily clad, young Thai boys in some colonial-gay-ghetto-bubble"

Well that sounds like heaven to me. Where can I find such a place?

12. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (July 12th, 2017)

Liked

Thanks for the report.
    That you found the mocyc-test subjective and contradictory is music to my ears. That explains why I had to make numerous attempts at lining up all the ducks in the multiple choice computer test until finally I closed my eyes and started hitting random buttons. Bingo! Got it.
    I have never had a problem with the young Arabs either but as regards the Russians-Neit!
    Dodger's account of the work practices he witnessed brings back mixed feelings to me of horror,shock,awe and hilarity. I recall a balcony floor sloping into the room, millions of floor tiles collapsed at the corners cos a dab of cement supports the center only, scotch tape joining live wires instead of connectors, shovel and pick battles when I paid the contractor and he didn't pay the workers and so on.
    All of these accounts may hopefully become a Dodger Autobiography.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

sglad wrote:

"The guys who don't like Arabs are also the ones who often don't like something or someone or some group or another"

Just for clarification, I do not dislike the Arabs, or for that fact, any race of people. I have to scratch my head when I see a cute young Arab man walking with an overweight, lipstick-smeared bimbo with a pillow stuck in her ass, but if that's their cup of tea who am I too judge. Hell, I'm not even attracted to women at all which I'm sure would have them them scratching their heads as well.

It doesn't matter to me what country a person comes from, the color of their skin, how they dress, what their value systems are or even if they like me or not. None of this matters. What turns me off are people who are not mindful of their surroundings and the people around them. Most of the Russians I've seen in Thailand are just flat out rude people. I don't dislike Russians, I just dislike rude people. The Arabs, at least from what I've observed, are very polite people and not rude at all - they just fall a bit short when it comes to being mindful of those (non-Arabs) around them when they're out having fun.

A Thai man and his wife own a motorbike rental shop on soi Yensabai right across the soi from 2Guys Guesthouse who I've been friends with for years. They are grateful for the business they receive from the young Arabs but never smile until they're gone. They (the Arabs) abuse their motorbikes so badly that they have considered not renting to them at all. I watched a Thai woman sweeping in front of her shop directly next to my friends place while her two young children stood next to her on the soi. The fact that their were two young children on the soi didn't distract the Arabs one bit from racing their motorbikes down the soi in an insanely reckless manner. At one point they came close to running her 2 year old daughter over which is when she dropped the broom and went inside her shop. To the Thais who are forced to witness this behavior - they (the Arabs) are being judged as having bad karma. I think it's fair to say that they (the Thais) don't dislike Arab people, they just dislike people who are not mindful of others.

15. 3 Users gave Like to post:

Dax (July 14th, 2017), llz (July 13th, 2017), paperboy (July 13th, 2017)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

You won't hear a word about the Arabs in Pattaya once they stop driving their motorcycles dangerously. It's that simple.