FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dodger's Trip Report

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Dodger's Trip Report

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    sglad wrote:

"The guys who don't like Arabs are also the ones who often don't like something or someone or some group or another"

Just for clarification, I do not dislike the Arabs, or for that fact, any race of people. I have to scratch my head when I see a cute young Arab man walking with an overweight, lipstick-smeared bimbo with a pillow stuck in her ass, but if that's their cup of tea who am I too judge.
    To clarify, my remarks earlier were not directed at anyone in particular. They were more of a general observation of those who tend to "dislike" or "disapprove" of a particular group of people simply because of their ethnic group or nationality. And one can as easily substitute "greedy jew", " stingy German", "fat American" or "Chink" for Arab. In my opinion, such discriminatory views are often the result of an insular upbringing and limited exposure to cultural and social diversity, congealed by the stubbornness of age. People with these views can live in a foreign country for years and years in some kind of expat ghetto, with no friends among the locals other than those who serve them. Some can even proudly claim that they have no women friends! Very small indeed is their social circle. As for a "cute young Arab man walking with an overweight, lipstick-smeared bimbo with a pillow stuck in her ass", I do not scratch my head anymore than I would when I spot a cute, nubile Thai lass or lad with a hideous farang. To each his own, I say.

When a law or set of laws is broken once or twice, we tend to focus on the perpetrators. When the same laws are repeatedly broken all over the place, then our focus needs to shift to the laws themselves and more importantly, their enforcement. Reckless driving, road negligence and blatant flouting of traffic regulations happen all over Thailand every minute of the day and most of the culprits are the Thais themselves - giving their country the dubious honour of having one of the highest road-related accident rates in the world. Why does this happen? The laws are clear but enforcement is seriously lacking. How does anyone get away with driving a motorbike for two decades with no licence? How can someone ride a motorbike with no helmet on on a busy street and proudly brag about the wind blowing in his hair?

If the Thais were serious about tackling this problem, they'd start by enforcing the laws. Not just traffic laws but laws that require proper training and licensing before one is allowed to operate a vehicle. My country is notorious for the strict enforcement of its laws. Travellers are warned before they arrive at Changi that the punishment for drug trafficking is death and most know and understand that we mean it. Whether you agree with our laws or not is another matter. But few would doubt that when they break the law in Singapore, they would be punished for it. Contrast this with Thailand. Locals and foreigners think Thai laws are a joke. The police are more interested in making a quick buck than upholding the law. The son of a poor taxi driver will most certainly rot in jail but the scion of a rich tycoon is likely to lounge in his mansion in Mayfair, both having committed the same crime. Gaybutton laughs his toes off whenever there is a raid or a round-up because he knows it's going to be business as usual after a few palms have been greased and a few pockets lined.

But you cannot spot treat a malaise that is infecting the entire system. You cannot arrest a speeding motorcyclist and then allow illegal businesses to operate. The last I checked prostitution is illegal in Thailand but prostitution is rife and continues to thrive because it is extremely lucrative for the authorities for it to remain illegal. It is also illegal to work on a social visit pass, but many from neighbouring countries work as prostitutes on their social visit passes or, worse, with no documents whatsoever. So they are working illegally in a business that is illegal. But they cause no harm you say. Really? What about the harm that they are bringing to themselves when they have no protection under the law whatsoever and are, in fact, breaking the law. When they get caught, they'd have to "buy" protection from the mob and the authorities. It's a vicious circle.

Pattaya may be heaven on earth for many foreigners but to a lot of Thai people, it is a dump. My Thai friends and lecturers are quite pleased that the country has found an efficient social sewage system in Pattaya. Along with Phuket and Samui, it is THE place where bad cops go to make money. It is so good that they wait in line to buy their way in. The system is made worse by the constant turf wars between the local police, the Bangkok police and the military. They do their best to sabotage each other and, as a result, squash any attempt at improving the system. It comes as no surprise then that menacing motorcyclists and other social parasites love it there. They all feed off each other.
    Last edited by sglad; July 14th, 2017 at 04:04.

Liked

Thanks Sglad , I agree with you

Liked

You need to separate the persona from the person Mickp. I told you, you're not trolling. You're being trolled and not just by me but by quite a few others as well. Ooohhh, we are awful.... but you like us.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    You need to separate the persona from the person Mickp. I told you, you're not trolling. You're being trolled and not just by me but by quite a few others as well. Ooohhh, we are awful.... but you like us.
    Like you ? ....I love you

Strange how your writing style is the same as Matts ???

What do you do log into another computer and use that handle??

You need to be more careful if your going to use 2 handles.

Your writing is the same and your both online ? Strange that.

Mate , If your going to write as 2 handles, try to write some sentences and words differently !

Never think your smarter than me dear
    You may have fooled the others but not me sweetheart !

I picked up that straight away your two handles
    Last edited by Mickp; July 14th, 2017 at 09:29.