Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Monthly living costs

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Monthly living costs

Your meds, Mick. Your meds. Don't forget.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc View Post
    Burmese grapes? The grapes in Thai markets are usually imported, and strangely grapes in Makro are usually cheaper than in Klong Toey market.
    If the grapes came from Myanmar, wouldn't they have been imported then?

Liked

Yes. My mistake. I meant "from overseas", in particular from the US or Australia.

On the other hand, there is wine made in Thailand, and I have been to vineyards, so there are grapes grown in Thailand.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc View Post
    Yes. My mistake. I meant "from overseas", in particular from the US or Australia. On the other hand, there is wine made in Thailand, and I have been to vineyards, so there are grapes grown in Thailand.
    There are vineyards in northern Thailand, especially in the cooler mountains in Chiang Mai Province.

There also is a rather beautiful vineyard in the hills west of Hua Hin. It's been around now for quite a few years. Up to a few months ago it was named the Hua Hin Hills Vineyards but recently they changed the name to Monsoon Valley Vineyards. We've taken lots of friends there for excellent lunches, just last week actually. https://www.monsoonvalley.com/en

The general hot weather of Thailand is not a great climate for many varieties of grapes but they make a quite delicious red Shiraz and a number of whites and sparkling wine which I have not tasted. I'm not much of a white wine slurper, but I love reds and love their Shiraz.
    The vineyard is located about an half hour drive west of Hua Hin, up into the mountains and the wine-tasting and restaurant is very popular (reservations often needed for dinner). The views looking back down to Hua Hin and the ocean (you can just see it sometimes if there is no mist) are quite beautiful and I could sit there for hours with a few glasses of wine ... no one will hurry you. They have tasting bar.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

5. 3 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (July 15th, 2017), christianpfc (July 15th, 2017), Moses (July 15th, 2017)

Liked

West of Hua Hin, on the way to Pa La O waterfall, I have been at a vineyard there last year with a friend from Germany who said the wine is twice as expensive and half as good as the wine he drinks in Germany.

Now I remember, the grapes in the supermarket are labelled "imported" and then specifying US or Australia. So I still wonder if there are grapes grown in Thailand and widely sold for direct consumption. Same for Myanmar.

7. User who gave Like to post:

Moses (July 15th, 2017)

Liked

The Silverlake Vineyards and winery is a short distance from Pattaya. If one is looking for a short day trip, I recommend Khao Chii Chan(Buddha engraved on mountainside)and then a visit to the winery.

https://www.silverlakevineyard.com

http://www.bangkok.com/pattaya/buddha-mountain.htm

9. User who gave Like to post:

Moses (July 15th, 2017)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Up2U View Post
    The Silverlake Vineyards and winery is a short distance from Pattaya.
    I'd second that. Been there at least three times over the years. Must say, usually for lunch ... always an excellent one. Great Tiramisu.

The Buddha image etched into the side of a mountain and then the etching marks filled with gold. Impressive!
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

11. 2 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (July 15th, 2017), Moses (July 15th, 2017)

Liked

Silverlake is definitely worth a visit if only because it's the weirdest strangest place. A sort of Thai version of Portmeirion where nothing fits together and yet works as a whole.