Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Monthly living costs

Liked

Re: Monthly living costs

6000 baht for electricity and water?
    In Hua Hin it's an average of 2000 baht a month. We have ~ I would guess ~ pretty much the same energy-sucking items as you.
    You're electric dildoe(s) are battery driven I assume.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Liked

"Get rid of Leo and the dogs?" You misunderstood me- I didn't say that. I meant that Leo and the dogs are costs specific to your case and their combined financial burden can be omitted from many or maybe most expat cases.

3. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (July 11th, 2017)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

One of the advantages of owning versus renting is that you don't pay inflated fees for electricity. The current rate in Chonburi is B4.41 per KWH (Kilo Watt Hour)and I have friends who are renters who pay double and sometimes triple this rate to the their building owners who of course pocket the profits.

I plan to install a water purification system in my unit in September to eliminate the task of buying water every day and also reduce the cost. This may sound ridiculous but at B14 per liter X 3 liters per day comes to B23,000/year which almost covers the cost of my health insurance policy.

Investing in a washing machine saves me another B15,000/year (B300/week).

It all adds up.

Matt, if you're paying B6,000/month for electric somethings wrong.

5. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (July 11th, 2017)

Liked

That depends, not sure how big his place is, and how many airco units it has. But having a couple of airco's blasting at full speed for the whole month, could easily cost about 6000 baht. And you are not paying inflated rates per KWH. In Bangkok the average is about 5 baht per KWH, but with two airco's running almost all the time, I am certain that amount is achieved easily, especially if the airco units are a bit older.

Liked

Yeah, Leo and myself have separate bedrooms, and both like our A/C. Mine is on about 24x7, while sleeping I crank it down to 18C, and while awake put it up to about 27C. Then Leo is the same as me, although uses the A/C a little more sparingly. However, he likes me, and enjoys it cold when he sleeps, so cranks it down then as well. That, and Smiles lives in Hua Hin so has the advantage of the cool breeze from the ocean.

Anyway, Smiles, want to maybe share what Pot and yourself spend a month in Hua Hin? I'm curious, and considering the replies, so are others who are looking towards Thailand as a retirement location.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    Where did you get 36,000 for food? .
    I presumed all the following is food:

20,000 – Food
    10,000 - Other market shopping (shrimp, chicken, pork, veggies, rice, sauces,etc.)
    2000 - Dry food
    4000 - Hot meals (~8 meals/month @ 500/meal)

Perhaps some other interpretation is required, since the original figures do not add up.

I would also get the dogs off the payroll.

Liked

Yeah, Leo and myself have separate bedrooms, and both like our A/C. Mine is on about 24x7, while sleeping I crank it down to 18C, and while awake put it up to about 27C. Then Leo is the same as me, although uses the A/C a little more sparingly. However, he likes me, and enjoys it cold when he sleeps, so cranks it down then as well. That, and Smiles lives in Hua Hin so has the advantage of the cool breeze from the ocean.

Anyway, Smiles, want to maybe share what Pot and yourself spend a month in Hua Hin? I'm curious, and considering the replies, so are others who are looking towards Thailand as a retirement location.
    Hmm, yes then I can understand your utility bill. However, isn't Leo your boyfriend, why on earth are you sleeping in separate bedrooms ?

Something doesn't add up.

Liked

Because, a) I snore, and am assuming he doesn't want to listen to that all night, and b) I don't want him cuddling with me all night. I learned that little lesson from Kim. We've tried to sleep together a few times, but sure enough, he just keeps moving closer to cuddle with me in the middle of the night. Then I move away to have my own room on the matress, he moves closer to cuddle again, until I'm nearly falling off the bed. Then I have to wake up, move to the other side of the bed, but that doesn't work, because within 30 mins, he's back to cuddling with me, pushing me off the other side of the bed.

So fuck it, we sleep alone. That, and we're both similar in that way. We both genuinely love each other withough question, but at the same time, both like our own little private sanctuaries where we can hang out in our own little world, and be ourselves. Separate bedrooms provide for that.

That, and I never really wanted him as a BF. He's only 22, so too young for me I thought. Then again, I didn't want to go blind either, so fuck it, just what happened. Now it looks like we're stuck with each other in this life life, which life, which is fine with me. At the beginning though, he pursued me far more than I did him though.
    Last edited by cdnmatt; July 9th, 2017 at 00:51.

Liked

TOTAL: 86,000/month

Any other expats willing to share their monthly living expenses?
    Same-same, about 90,000/month. Too lazy to itemize.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

You may want to consider buying a couple new AC units which now come equiped with invertor compressors which is a fairly new technology. These units cost a bit more up front but are extremely efficient and cut the rates down by as much as 60%. I purchased two last year for my 80 M2 condo and the monthly costs are less than I have paying for one older model AC in my 24 M2 rental unit in PTY.

Most Thais feed their dogs market leftovers including leftover rice, pork rinds, chicken, fish, etc. which doesn't cost them a penny. If it did, they would let someone else feed them. You may want to consider doing some research on healthy dog food alternatives to reduce the costs.