Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Monthly living costs

Liked

Re: Monthly living costs

Quote Originally Posted by Dalewood View Post
    Did anyone else go through Matt's list quickly and wonder how he could spend B12000/month on beer in addition to several thousand on other alcoholic beverages?
    He loves his Leo !!!
    Last edited by Mickp; July 11th, 2017 at 12:53.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

As for 37000 Bt every month on buying food....?

"20000 food
    3000 Leo market
    10000 other market shopping (shrimp chicken pork)
    4000 hot meals"

You need to " look" at these figures!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Matt,

My better half cooks all of his own meals (and some of mine) and the common things I see him picking up at the market include: fruits like jackfruit, papaya, mangosteen, Burmese grapes and apples. The vegetables he commonly buys are the same that go into making the regular Thai fair including bamboo shoots, lotus stems, Chinese cabbage, straw mushrooms, carrots, pea pods, bok choy, kale, asparagus, shiitake, eggplant, etc. Thai curry pastes, galangal, lemongrass, balsam leaves, coriander, garlic and a host of spices like phrik nu chillies, blend in perfectly to create zingy curries,fresh salads and tasty stir fries. This is vegetarian Thai food at its best - healthy as it gets - and very economical.

4. 3 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (July 12th, 2017), Smiles (July 11th, 2017), splinter1949 (July 11th, 2017)

Liked

@gerefan2 -- Again, I just screwed up. It's 20,000 total for food, and 9000 total for the dogs. The few lines under those items are supposed to be indented to indicate a breakdown of where the 20,000 and 9000 goes, but obviously that didn't come out right.

@Dodger -- Yeah, totally agreed, and that's basically what we do aswell. We buy as much as we can from the markets, and cook at home, but just buy different veggies obviously. I like my bell peppers, broccoli, baby corn, snow peas, etc. Those are obviously more expensive than things like lemongrass and onions.

Anyway, my point was eating out at the market stalls or small restaurants can by no measure be considered a good diet, as Justaguy implied. But yeah, if you cook at home, you can definitely get all the nutrition you need from the food available at night markets.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc View Post
    I live on 35k per month, including entertaining various boys, and taking various trips, but without health insurance, visa runs and eating mainly Thai food. I could easily spend more, but it wouldn't increase my happiness.
    Was thinking about that, and yeah, I could actually see it. Ok, start with my 86,000/month.

You don't drink, have dogs, or a BF, so that scratches 29,000 bringing it down to 57,000/month.

Then if Leo didn't live here, obviously food and electric would be cheaper, so let's drop another 12,000 for that, beinging it down to 45,000/month.

On top of that since you don't have dogs, you obviously have no need for a house with a large gated yard, and probably are happy with a small say 5000/month room. Ok, so drop another 7000 off rent, and we're now down to 38,000/month.

From there, I could eat a little more conservatively, drop the Central shopping trip altogether, plus treat things like bell peppers and broccoli as specialty items, so drop another say 3000 from good, and now I'm down to 35,000/month as well.

So yeah, I can envision it, and definitely possible. Think I'll stick with my current life though, and just figure out how to make money. Pain in the ass when you're blind.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    Think I'll stick with my current life though, and just figure out how to make money. Pain in the ass when you're blind.
    Well if you're a 35 year old professional, then the next 20 years are the time to be making money & saving like crazy, so making money should be part of the equation. Also, see a proper doctor. I would be getting rid of the dogs too.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    now i'm down to 35,000/month as well.So yeah, I can envision it, and definitely possible
    It's CPFC so there's no 'envision' or 'possible' about it, it's sure-fire certain. But 'why' anyone would want to live that lifestyle is beyond me. Despite never planning to, or vaguely interested in moving to Thailand fulltime this is an interesting thread just for the snippets of what other's consider normal lifestyle. Such as the 18c night time temp when sleeping. That is SO fucking cold, 18c is only on when we first come back to the room and it's hot, 10 mins of 18c and then back to 25c. As for overnight....minimum is 22c but 23-24c ok too. The only thing I don't like about Mosaik is no roof fan, I much prefer that with occasional bursts of aircon.

Like 'smiles' finding it difficult to come to terms with matts Bt6,000 month electric. I'm on holiday with little care about electric costs and even at Mosaik with a huge room, aircon on a lot with 8-10 hrs overnight and between bf entertaining friends and time I spend another 8 hrs+ as well as cooking/microwave/lights etc.. our bill for a longer than usual 12 nights was Bt1,100 at Bt7 per unit, water was Bt110 for 12 nights.

Also god only knows how matt/leo operate without a motocy,(have I got that right? no motocy?) every thai I know from poorest to reasonably off, from Khon Kaen, Pattaya to Bkk has a motocy, daily visit to market, going to work, shops, places....so inconvenient without. Even tho motocy taxi fares are Bt10 in Navanakorn friend there says life without a motocy would be in his word 'impossible'.

But excellent thread matt, seems like smiles and Dodger have also got a grip on things with their lifestyle choices in Thailand and some great advice that even us occasional visitors can consider to boot.

Liked

hah, I remember back as a kid when I had the basement room in our house in Canada. It'd be -38C in the winter, and I'd crank the window wide open, but have a space heater under the blanket. So it was blistering cold in the room, except nice and warm under the blanket. I don't know, just how I've always liked it.

What's really weird is how Leo likes the same as me, because he cranks his A/C down when he sleeps as well. This is the first time in his life he's ever had A/C, but quickly took to it.

And nope, no motorcycle. Leo does have one, but it's back in Laos. Obviously, I can't drive anymore, and Leo doesn't want to, because it's too busy for him here. He likes driving around in the village, but not in the city.

That, and we don't need it anyway. Just around the corner are loads of people who just setup little charcoal grills to cook good on the sidewalk, or put out a spread of fruits or veggies on the sidewalk, cook up sticky rice, etc. All that is about 200m from the house, then the larger market is only about a 5 minute walk where we can get nearly anything and everything. Plus songtaews are only 200m around the corner as well, and take us right into town to Fairy Plaza, where tuk-tuks are always sitting there to take us anywhere we need to go in the city.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    ...picking up at the market include: fruits like jackfruit, papaya, mangosteen, Burmese grapes and apples.
    Burmese grapes? The grapes in Thai markets are usually imported, and strangely grapes in Makro are usually cheaper than in Klong Toey market.

As for aircon, I have mine at 27 degree Celsius.

Liked

Actually i havent been budgeting.
    47 this year and a im a millionaire,on paper that is.
    Asset rich no money though.

I need to get a budget going i spend too much !

Wish i some Scottish in me !!

I would of been a Micky Mcnamara

Maybe i should sell the apartments and cash in and go live in Vietnam with my old buddy Bob .