Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The future of Sunee

Liked

Re: The future of Sunee

Word of mouth is always the best form of advertising. The old Sunee had no alliance nor huge promo and that was often full to bursting. The world demographic today is that business need to appeal to a range of customers, not just one kind as in the past. BBB appeals to almost everyone and that's usually standing room only.

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

The influx of Arabs in the area surrounding Sunee is rather unappealing however, the dead carcass of Sunee had been rotting before they came en mas, as to the future of the plaza simply there is none.
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Liked

MFAS has a fetish for the death of Sunnee or a deathwish associated with a fetish for Sunnee or something like that.
    It's a bit like having a beloved but lingering granny whose death will be lamented but will bring blessed relief at the same time or something like that.
    The old Gal conjures up blissful memories which can never be recreated and having her around is a daily reminder of this sad fact so better she kick the bucket and be done with it.

Liked

I would be interested to know how Sunee came about in the first place. Did it mushroom into a gay area quickly or was it a slow process? What was there before? Which was the first gay venue there? etc.

Liked

I cannot provide an answer to Arsenal's query but I was a regular to Pattaya in the late 90s when Sunee was first developed. I'd tried a gogo bar there in 1996 or 1997 when there was no other gay venue in sight- Crazy Dragon? It was empty , apart from some bored and listless guys waiting to dance to empty seats. To be blunt, I forgot all about it; in those days, I was happy to pass my time in the Boyztown bars.
    The next I heard of Sunee was via a flyer handed out to the beached whales (and me) sitting on the gay Jomtien beach. It encouraged me to take a look and I remember a go go bar called Nok but not much else. Sunee's notoriety somehow passed me by.... I didn't have the impression that its Thai workers were any different to those in Boyztown. It was just cheaper and less glitzy. And had more host bars than gogo bars.
    So , I assume that Sunee became gay around 1998 when those flyers were being distributed....but am willing to be corrected. I'd be interested to learn of the process by which this happened. I must try to find my Micaael Burchill book on the origins of Boyztown; he may be able to provide answers.

Liked

My recollection is Krazy dragon in the beginning, across from it was Hotel California...not much else. Rents were cheap and Thais that had a smattering of gay bars in areas other than Boytown began to flock to the Plaza as time went on falangs other than Peter of Krazy began to open places such as Nok Nok, Top Man and so many others...it had a reputation for an anything goes place and it lived up to its rep. There was no such thing as set closing hours bars stayed open till customers left..the police were often in the bars on their breaks for coffee.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    I would be interested to know how Sunee came about in the first place. Did it mushroom into a gay area quickly or was it a slow process? What was there before? Which was the first gay venue there? etc.
    All I know is that Sunee was in full-swing as of January 2000. There was even a Y2K go-go in that area.

Liked

Yes Michael Burchill of Top Man Go Go fame wrote s history book.
    Not sure if there are still copies about?
    And I forget the name.

Not even sure Michael is still with us but I use to love the Top Man Go Go back in its heyday

Liked

I think Sunee started dying out back in the early 00's when the police rightly closed the Pedo bars.

The one opposite the pool was the most notorious and shocking I had ever been in.
    I wont mention the ages of the boys but I think you get my drift.

Good riddance to them and those customers !

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Mickp View Post
    I think Sunee started dying out back in the early 00's when the police rightly closed the Pedo bars.

The one opposite the pool was the most notorious and shocking I had ever been in.
    I wont mention the ages of the boys but I think you get my drift.

Good riddance to them and those customers !
    The place you are referring to was called "Amigo".
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"