List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: PrEP ? So, are YOU using it or not ??

Forum's veteran
    Liked

PrEP ? So, are YOU using it or not ??

So, whilst having a coffee and chatting with a friend who also visits Thailand regularly and enjoys plenty of "company" whilst there, the topic of PrEP (Pre-exposure prophylaxis) came up as he was telling me he'd just sent away for his first supplies of the stuff and intends to start using it. Personally for several fairly vague reasons I haven't or hadn't ever bothered with it but have to admit at the start of each Asian trip I usually wish I HAD perhaps.

From the little I know about the subject the old issue about it having possible small but unwelcome side effects seems to be fairly sorted out now and any aliments seem to be quite minor now, but I'm aware there that here in the UK at least does still seem to be a bit of a stigma attached to taking PrEP and a certain amount of "slut shaming' still going on, the implication being if you're deciding to take it you're obviously just a big whore. Whereas in the likes of Australia it seems there is no stigma at all and in fact you're almost seen as having a cavalier attitude to your sexual health if you're NOT taking it.

So, just wondering, what's the boards habit, do more take it than not or are we all to set in our ways now that we feel we just don't need to now or are just happy taking the risk of the odd split condom every now and then ? I would stress that neither answer is the wrong one here, I'm merely wondering do more of us take it than not now or is it still the other way round perhaps ?

2. User who gave Like to post:

ktq (June 3rd, 2020)

Liked

Re: PrEP ? So, are YOU using it or not ??

I would love to answer, but I have absolutely no clue what PREP is. So I guess that's a no, I don't take it.

Liked

Bali (Indonesia), Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Laos: gay guides and companions http://siamroads.com

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    I would love to answer, but I have absolutely no clue what PREP is. So I guess that's a no, I don't take it.
    Really, wow, you HAVE been living in the sticks for too long it seems. PrEP IS ( basically) is tablet that has been out for a few years now and has recently been passed by Governments as safe to take etc which dramatically reduces the chances of you being infected with HIV during sex by more than 90% !!!

Aside from a few minor side effects that some people might experience such as mild diarrhoea etc ( and that's not everyone by far) it does seem a bit of a no brainer now that it's been passed as "safe", although being such a new drug there are still long term tests going on all around the world as to it's long term effects, but basically so far, it's doing exactly what it says on the tin and HIV rates ARE dropping as the virus simply isn't getting passed on as much.

There is a debate as to will it encourage less safe sex practices in people as they believe they're now protected from HIV ( but nothing else ) but still decide to stop using condoms ( thus leaving themselves open to all the other ranges of STI's out there, but NOT HIV at least, however the figures don't seem to be backing that up so much either as it seems ( as directed) most sensible people are using PrEP as intended i.e an additional part of the anti HIV armour and not as a total answer to "safe safe" and so ARE still using condoms ( as still being recommended of course.)

The above is just my rough answer re PrEP, so I've posted a link below which gives all the accurate data and explanation for those that are interested, but PrEP world wide is now being seen as a game changer in terms of blocking HIV transmission and I'm guessing it's going to be more and more widely used in the months and years ahead.

https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/basics/prep.html

6. User who gave Like to post:

francois (June 27th, 2017)

Liked

Oh, that's why I've never heard of it. I'm monogamous, plus I don't even like anal sex. No worries on this end.

Liked

In some cases its the cost of obtaing the drug,where its not free

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    Aside from a few minor side effects that some people might experience such as mild diarrhoea etc ( and that's not everyone by far)
    You left out the minor side effect of potential kidney damage!
    I know of 2 people that were taken off it after 3 months due to decreased kidney function... So its far from being mild in its side effects. I have also heard that the mild diarrhoea is closer to samlonella when it comes to the toilet department!
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

colmx..is your real name by ay chance chicken little.

11. User who gave Like to post:

MikaQ5 (July 14th, 2017)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

As I said Colmx I wasn't suggesting I was in any way promoting or saying it was great, I don't take it, I don't know, I'm only going from what I've ready myself and that seems to have gone from quite bad side effects to lesser ones later on as people realised perhaps that it wasn't all plain sailing and what they might expect, of course any one thinking of taking it should do their own research, that goes without saying and was why I added the link. Saying that it seems that a LOT of guys ARE now taking it quite successfully too so I'm now quite sure where that leaves things, hence my original question about board members own experiences if they have any.

And latin Colmx's comments are bang on as well, there are instances of exactly what he is talking about, it's all well documented and a known "issue" for some people and it seems PrEP may not be for everyone, just up to each individual I guess as to whether it is adversely affecting them / their lives V the risk reduction and is that worth it depending what sort of risk they think they're placing themselves at I guess - and for some of us and what with it being Thailand etc that risk is unfortunately quite high these days.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    with it being Thailand etc that risk is unfortunately quite high these days.
    HIV infection rates are also on the rise in Ireland (Republic) but the government refuses to enter the PrEP debate. Unfortunately this leads to people buying it online and taking it without proper medical supervision.

Interesting stat is most new Irish infections are coming from people who were born in Latin America. And they are overtaking the native Irish HIV population
    (Not a Dig at LatinTop... Just stating a fact!)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

14. User who gave Like to post:

RonanTheBarbarian (July 1st, 2017)