Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New 10 year retirement visa approved

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Liked

Re: New 10 year retirement visa approved

Can you get a refund if your dream of living in Thailand becomes a nightmare and you turn into a bitter, twisted and spiteful old queen with nothing to do except write vitriol all day?

Banned
    Liked

Re: Total bullshit ...

Quote Originally Posted by justaguy View Post
    Actually you do NOT have to leave that money in the bank for ten years AND you can go the monthly income route, 100.000 baht is all you need to show.

The money has to stay in a bank account for only one year, and presumably has to return by the time the second extension is due.
    Do try not to mislead the ordinary punter. The money has to stay in the bank for the first year and thereafter up to 50% can be withdrawn for an approved purpose. The entire 3 million must be there to renew for the next 5-year extension. The statement "100,000 baht is all you need to show" is a straight out lie. The regulations state "or a combination of 1.8 million baht in the bank and income not less than 1.2 million baht. That's 100,000 a month plus 1.8 million in the bank

Do try to pay attention and not be a total twat

Liked

I would imagine it's also meant to give peace of mind. Get a 10 year VISA, and don't worry about immigration law and VISA regulations changing on a yearly basis.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    " ... Get a 10 year VISA, and don't worry about immigration law and VISA regulations changing on a yearly basis ... "

As mentioned above I've lived in Thailand for 10 years now on a Non-Imm O-A Retirement Visa and annual extensions. The rules for both the original Visa and then the annual extensions have not changed in 10 years, and they have been those same rules before I came here as well.
    And I feel a great deal of peace of mind.

Visa rules for tourists and have changed somewhat over the years, but the changes have not been onerous. Visa rules for Border-Runners have been changed the most.
    Last edited by Smiles; June 18th, 2017 at 17:36.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

5. User who gave Like to post:

frequent (June 19th, 2017)

Liked

3,000,000 x 1% x 10 years = 300,000.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    3,000,000 x 1% x 10 years = 300,000.
    wrong

3313866.37 1% yearly if interest is calculating monthly
    Bali (Indonesia), Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Laos: gay guides and companions http://siamroads.com

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    3,000,000 x 1% x 10 years = 300,000
    Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    wrong

3313866.37 1% yearly if interest is calculating monthly
    Either way it's chump change over a 10-year period. You wouldn't bother to get out of bed for that sort of money if it was a wage

Forum's veteran
    Liked

More importantly if you DIDNT have that sort of money in the bank when deciding to retire to another country I think you'd have bigger problems ahead that worrying about which visa to select perhaps !

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    More importantly if you DIDNT have that sort of money in the bank when deciding to retire to another country I think you'd have bigger problems ahead that worrying about which visa to select perhaps !
    Oddly enough Thailand seems to be full of punters who live there on nothing more than their State pension from places like the UK, the US and Australia without your "bigger problems". They do so in the (perhaps mistaken) impression that Thailand is a cheaper place to live. At the end of their lives they have the choice between the balcony - very popular by all accounts - the condo swimming pool or - my personal favourite - nembutal