Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Me again.

Banned
    Liked

Re: Me again.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
    One of the reasons that changing ownership of land takes a fairly long time (and expense) is that the new owner has to get his own new 'Chinote'. It's not simply a change of names on an original chinote. Part of the bureaucratic process in doing so also includes a completely new survey of the land in question (including a few pickup trucks, lots of equipment, half a dozen staff. Often it takes week or months for your name to get to the front of the queue. None of this is free.)
    Some of these pieces of land in the country side have been owned by families for a very long time. Many do not even have a chinote: property lines get forgotten, stakes go missing, cement or iron placements get covered over or they disintegrate over time. Trust me ... we've been there!

The rules I mention regarding this process are of cause Thailand's rules, but I'd place a bit of a bet on the rules in Lao being very similar.
    You have hinted at the real reason why it's so expensive - "it takes week or months for your name to get to the front of the queue. None of this is free". But if you understand that you can suddenly get to the front of the queue by paying a "facilitation" fee, or languish at the back of the queue forever because you won't (or can't) ...

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    Oh, and I forgot... Is the land already in his name, or does he need to flip it over into his name? If the latter, then yeah, I guess 15,000 baht sounds about right. I didn't really understand the explanation Leo gave, but I guess switching land ownership to another person is quite expensive for some reason.

If the land is already in his name, then it should be around 100 baht. Just go to the government land office with photo ID, they'll have the records in their computer, print out a new deed, give it a quick stamp, and off you go.

Get out of here, the land itself isn't that big if the measurements are correct, I doubt the land would even cost 15.000 baht, unless the land is in Vientiane...

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by frequent View Post
    You have hinted at the real reason why it's so expensive - "it takes week or months for your name to get to the front of the queue. None of this is free". But if you understand that you can suddenly get to the front of the queue by paying a "facilitation" fee, or languish at the back of the queue forever because you won't (or can't) ...
    Getting to the front of the queue in Lao will not cost more than the odd thousand or two thousand baht. Transferring land ownership cost 15.000 baht ? People don't be silly.

A couple of years ago, my boyfriend bought a parcel of land ample to put a new house on. The fee, 4000 baht, that's the land and the switching of ownership. Oh and a few bottles of beerlao to clear the land.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by justaguy View Post
    Get out of here, the land itself isn't that big if the measurements are correct, I doubt the land would even cost 15.000 baht, unless the land is in Vientiane...

Well, I don't bloody know... I'm blind, so quite obviously I can't see the dimensions on an image, now can I?

I'm just going off what Leo said, because he's a signatory on the family farm. And that form produces I guess 11 tonnes of rice per-harvest, which means it's a really fucken big farm, so I'm fairly confident he knows about the land ownership rules in Laos.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    Well, I don't bloody know... I'm blind, so quite obviously I can't see the dimensions on an image, now can I?

I'm just going off what Leo said, because he's a signatory on the family farm. And that form produces I guess 11 tonnes of rice per-harvest, which means it's a really fucken big farm, so I'm fairly confident he knows about the land ownership rules in Laos.
    That piece of land is not big. Listen, I have been going to Lao for well over a decade, and have been in a relationship with a Lao for 13 years. There is no way a mere land ownership transfer for a small piece of land would cost 15,000 baht, again that's four month salaries. Be realistic please.

Not to mention the fact that this guy claims that he cannot go to Australia without it, absolute bollocks, he could be out of the country with just his passport and be on his way to Trendy Building on Sukhumvit to get the visa (providing they process Lao citizens there) right now.

OP claimed this in the other thread:

"I actually meant the police or government want this money to check his land so they know he has s omething to come back to. "

Oh my, why oh why would the Lao government care about him having something to come back to ? My boyfriend (6x) his brother (one time) have been going to my home country for three months visits.

They just cross the border and go to Krung Thep where we get the visa done. And all of those times I have acted as guarantor which alleviates most of the requirements from the foreigner intended to visit. Including the letter from employer, any cash requirements.

Yes the Oz government will be the one concerend about this guy having something to go back to, but I don't think that would be too much of a burden. I am guessing the biggest hurdle would be the lenght of their relationship.
    Last edited by justaguy; June 13th, 2017 at 14:54.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
    One of the reasons that changing ownership of land takes a fairly long time (and expense) is that the new owner has to get his own new 'Chinote'. It's not simply a change of names on an original chinote. Part of the bureaucratic process in doing so also includes a completely new survey of the land in question (including a few pickup trucks, lots of equipment, half a dozen staff. Often it takes week or months for your name to get to the front of the queue. None of this is free.)
    Some of these pieces of land in the country side have been owned by families for a very long time. Many do not even have a chinote: property lines get forgotten, stakes go missing, cement or iron placements get covered over or they disintegrate over time. Trust me ... we've been there!

The rules I mention regarding this process are of cause Thailand's rules, but I'd place a bit of a bet on the rules in Lao being very similar.
    Like smiles I cannot advise on the Lao costs for land name changes, and as cdnmatt has also suggested I can certainly confirm that in Issan anyway it is very costly. Over the last couple of years as the parents have become older in bfs extended family, a few in the family circle have been 'sorting out' the land issues before some of that older generation pass away, once 1 or 2 family members started doing this 1 or 2 more with similarly aged parents also decided time was right to pass on the land rights. What to us and me seemed a simple enough name change legal process for a couple thousand baht was way off the mark. Most recent was land passed from father's family to son (as he ran the farming business)and it cost Bt32,000. It was more necessary because the land was needed to be used as surety to the bank against borrowing for farm machinery/building etc but that was just the fees with no Q jumping costs.

Also more recently, unfortunately, some of these transactions have been needed as bank loans and more specifically car loans have been called in around the village area as the new car showrooms which sprung up 3-4 years back in the area persuaded many to go into long term loan agreements they just were not in the position to pay back if anything went belly up during the 6 years or so of the loan period. The problem for many was they were so keen to get a vehicle to keep up with the Jones's not only did they borrow the money from Toyota or whoever but instead of saving for the deposit went and borrowed that too from a different, often more expensive source and so there was no equity whatsoever after 2-3 years of car ownership as a cash deposit would have allowed for, and if losses accrued on top of the poor value of the high mileage vehicle meant raising alternative sources of funds.....family land. My last visit to bfs village we noticed two large areas of land up for sale through loan company agencies. (village gossip, gossip, gossip....)

7. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (June 14th, 2017)

Liked

Thanks everyone. So now I'm thinking he could be telling the truth. It's maybe to jump the que. I'll send the money and see how we go. He just said the lady said it would make everything easy.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by aarancam View Post
    Thanks everyone. So now I'm thinking he could be telling the truth. It's maybe to jump the que. I'll send the money and see how we go. He just said the lady said it would make everything easy.
    Nah he is lying. No way a land ownership transfer for a 30x20 meter piece of land would cost that much. As I said, that could easily be the total price of the land in many parts of Laos, short from the populous areas.

And it is certainly not needed for him to be able to visit you. You are just the foreigner agreeing to pick up the tab. Rest assured that money is not only being used to pay for the transfer. And it is most definitely not needed for him to visit you in Australia.

But hey if you are happy giving that money to him, go right ahead. He isn't telling the whole truth that much is certain.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by frequent View Post
    " ... you can suddenly get to the front of the queue by paying a "facilitation" fee ... "
    Quite right. In Thailand "facilitation" is always an option.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by justaguy View Post
    ..... I am guessing the biggest hurdle would be the lenght of their relationship.
    Which, if Australian immigration is anything like the UK's, will have to be proved - no easy feat!