Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wheelchair access

Liked

wheelchair access

As I've indicated, while mobile, I can no longer walk long distances. On my next trip with Emirates from the US to BKK I plan to request a wheelchair. I know they take you to noarding lounge and between flights at Dubai. But, at the BKK end what happens with customs? Standing forever can be as bad as walking.

Liked

Re: wheelchair access

If you have requested with your airline wheelchair assistance upon arrival at Bangkok ...there should be a wheelchair and assistant waiting for you at the door of the airplane. To take you and your carry-on luggage to and through Thai Immigration... There is a special Thai Immigration entry desk for those in wheelchairs. Your wheelchair attendant will know what to do with Thai Immigration... Collection of your checked luggage and wheel you through Customs to the Arrival area. I always tip the wheelchair attendant 300 Thai baht for his service. I entered Thailand a week ago via BKK airport and was thru Immigration in 5 minutes and Customs as quickly as fast as the wheelchair attendant pushed me.
    Enjoy your visit to Thailand

3. 2 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (May 6th, 2018), paborn (May 6th, 2018)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Am I right in saying that that's a free service - and paborn or travelerjim I'm not saying for a second you don't need it but isn't it just amazing how all of a sudden there seems to have been a huge rise in the people using such services - and half of them "appear" to be reasonably able bodied (yes I know you can't see all disabilities etc) - but no, me being the cynic I am I'm going for the "some are just lazy fuckers and can't be arsed walking to the gates so prefer to get pushed around instead" route. Again genuinely no slant on the two posters above who are beyond reproach I'm sure in such matters.

Actually it sounds ok, I might give it a go on my next trip ! :-)

Actually on a serious note my Mothers travelling companion uses it ( and SHE doesn't have to she's just a lazy bitch!) but insists on it as she carries a stick ( when it suits her and when she's using her disabled badge to park outside theatres etc !) - when out with us though the stick miraculously vanishes all day - anyhow, my point was my mum HATES travelling with her now because of the wheelchair assistance thing as half times they've to wait until the very last ( or very first if lucky) getting on and off airplanes - and as my mum is able bodied she isn't allowed to accompany her friend in the lift van thing and so has to make her own way through the whole airport and then meet her relaxed and refreshed friend in the arrivals hall whilst my 82 year old mother has half killed herself getting her cases through everywhere etc ! And before someone suggests my mother should request it too - NO CHANCE - much too independently minded ( stubborn) for that as she's sure she doesn't need it ( whether she does or not)

5. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (May 7th, 2018)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    Am I right in saying that that's a free service - and paborn or travelerjim I'm not saying for a second you don't need it but isn't it just amazing how all of a sudden there seems to have been a huge rise in the people using such services - and half of them "appear" to be reasonably able bodied (yes I know you can't see all disabilities etc) - but no, me being the cynic I am I'm going for the "some are just lazy fuckers and can't be arsed walking to the gates so prefer to get pushed around instead" route. Again genuinely no slant on the two posters above who are beyond reproach I'm sure in such matters.

Actually it sounds ok, I might give it a go on my next trip ! :-)

Actually on a serious note my Mothers travelling companion uses it ( and SHE doesn't have to she's just a lazy bitch!) but insists on it as she carries a stick ( when it suits her and when she's using her disabled badge to park outside theatres etc !) - when out with us though the stick miraculously vanishes all day - anyhow, my point was my mum HATES travelling with her now because of the wheelchair assistance thing as half times they've to wait until the very last ( or very first if lucky) getting on and off airplanes - and as my mum is able bodied she isn't allowed to accompany her friend in the lift van thing and so has to make her own way through the whole airport and then meet her relaxed and refreshed friend in the arrivals hall whilst my 82 year old mother has half killed herself getting her cases through everywhere etc ! And before someone suggests my mother should request it too - NO CHANCE - much too independently minded ( stubborn) for that as she's sure she doesn't need it ( whether she does or not)
    I hear you and have often wondered the same thing. But, at your Mother's age able bodied is , perhaps, too broad. An able bodied Uncle died shoveling snow. It has taken a long time to get to this point, then, I realized that being preoccupied with getting from A to B on the connection I should just give in and be done with it.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    Am I right in saying that that's a free service - and paborn or travelerjim I'm not saying for a second you don't need it but isn't it just amazing how all of a sudden there seems to have been a huge rise in the people using such services - and half of them "appear" to be reasonably able bodied ...Actually it sounds ok, I might give it a go on my next trip ! :-)
    Well with your self-admitted hearing difficulties you would certainly (maybe with a bit of exaggeration) qualify - but as I understand it the "porters" are not allowed to ask what your disability is (that's discrimination) so you don't have to justify anything.

However I have a friend who is genuinely disabled and he has to be in the disabled assistance area well in advance and he can sit there for an hour or two twiddling his thumbs (well, he might do if he had any arms) before he is ferried away - and the same at disembarkation - so it's not all plane sailing (pun intended).

On the plus side however he was able to get through customs with tens of thousands of ciggies in his luggage each trip for years (which on re-sale paid for his holidays) until he was finally caught.

Talking of ciggies - I spoke to an elderly couple in Torremolinos many years ago (I recall Tony Blackburn was in the bar too) and the wife was a delightful old lady for whom the saying "butter wouldn't melt in her mouth" might have been invented. After a few sherries she was boasting about how many packs of fags she could contain in her knickers on the way back from Gibraltar!!

Liked

I can't be of certain especially coming into BKK. I do know upon leaving BKK I was in a wheelchair the whole time, and didn't have to get out once -- not for security, immigration, nothing. Plus instead of going through normal security, I went to a special area where I wasn't even required to go through a metal detector and instead just got a quick patdown while sitting.

Then connection in Seoul, there was a wheelchair waiting for me at the gate, scooted me over to one of those golf carts, and off we went to the boarding gate.

Upon arrival in Canada, same thing. Wheelchair upon deplaning, went through the VIP / Gold immigration room with no lines or people, etc.

9. User who gave Like to post:

travelerjim (May 10th, 2018)

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Give it a fucking break!
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

11. 4 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (May 7th, 2018), aussie_ (May 7th, 2018), francois (May 7th, 2018), mr giggles (May 8th, 2018)

Liked

If the attendant wheels you out is there a money change on the way so I can tip him? I've forgotten, or will USD do?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by paborn View Post
    If the attendant wheels you out is there a money change on the way so I can tip him? I've forgotten, or will USD do?
    If he's going to wheel you all the way to your taxi/pick up point, there should be one or two. OTOH, USD currency should be fine dealing as he does with international travellers all the time.

Is he allowed to receive tips? I think Singapore Changi doesn't permit it - I'm not sure.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by paborn View Post
    Yes, there are ATMs and money exchange booths on the way out. Suggest you tip in Baht and not USD. Well, unless you tip him $50 or $100.

15. 4 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (May 8th, 2018), Jellybean (May 8th, 2018), mr giggles (May 8th, 2018), paborn (May 8th, 2018)