Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anal...gee, not me.

Liked

Anal...gee, not me.

In 1978 the Khmer Rouge took power in Cambodia. The regime was brutal, many citizens died or left. The leader was a vicious and repugnant fat man who terrorised the population and even to this day many still recoil in horror at the memory of his short but horrific time in charge. Then the cavalry arrived in the shape of the Vietnamese, they got rid of the repugnant fat man (now dead) and took over the country. The Vietnamese still control Cambodia although it is with a very light touch. Some Cambodians would like a stronger presence but most are pretty happy with the way things are done now. There are other places they can go if they don't like the way Cambodia is run. They can go to Burma or Laos where the control and rules are very strict and very strongly enforced by a small hierarchy. The huge majority of Cambodians remember the repugnant fat man and although occasionally the Vietnamese annoy them they remember what the Vietnamese did and continue to do and that without them they would probably be gone.

Liked

Re: Anal...gee, not me.

Yeah, was a pretty sad time in human history. They're still cleaning up the landmines.

I remember years ago I read an excellent book on the Khmer Rouge. It was written by a girl living in Phon Phem (sp) at the time, and her ordeal. She survived, eventually emigrated to the US, and wrote the book giving an account of what life was like under Pol Pot. Unfortunately, I can't remember the title, but was an excellent read, and I'm sure a quick Google / Amazon search will bring it up.

Liked

The repugnant fat man has gone although rumours persist about the exact nature of his death. In fact, it's not entirely clear which country he was in when he died. After he was ousted the repugnant fat man spent time in Thailand but ill health plagued his final years.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

That murderous devil and his cohorts actually came to power a bit earlier in April 1975 when they marched into Phnom Penn and then emptied the cities. There are several excellent books on the horrors of the next 4 years. One that moved me to tears is "The Gate" by Francois Bizot who witnessed its start and came to know the Khmer Rouge commandant known as Comrade Duch. It took until 2012 before Duch was finally found guilty and sentenced to life in prison. Matt may be thinking of the factual "First they killed my Father" or the equally horrific fictional novel "In the Shadow of the Banyan".

Liked

Fountainhall. Yes. Do you know I knew that and actually I was in the killing fields and the horror prison (truly truly horrific. Almost still has blood on the walls.) in Phnom Penh less than 8 weeks ago. What an idiot I am. Surfcrest, please change the date on my post to 1975. Mea Culpa.

A few Cambodians did in fact go to Burma and Laos but found they missed Cambodia with it's free and easy way and came back. And Cambodia was very pleased to see them come back. All agreed that the fat repugnant man was totally fat and repugnant and in fact, the Vietnamese were pretty much good eggs.

Need I go on with this?
    Last edited by arsenal; May 22nd, 2017 at 13:43.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

If you want a deeper background, do read "Sideshow: Kissinger, Nixon and the Destruction of Cambodia" by William Shawcriss who was one of the first journalists to return to Cambodia after the genicude. As a comment at the start of the amazon review states -

Shawcross's 1979 volume was powerful when first published and even more so today: Henry Kissinger in his last book spent nearly 100 pages attacking it. This revised edition includes another onslaught, by Kissinger aide Peter Rodman and Shawcross's rebuttal. Essential title. (Library Journal)

Liked

The Killing Fields is a powerful and emotional movie. I never got used to a smiling Cambodian Tuk Tuk driver asking me if I wanted to go to the killing fields, it always made me feel out of sorts.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

...now remember arsenal...if u made an error..as in it was 1975...then as per the resident cockroach...better known as a447...u were never there...

Forum's veteran
    Liked

..and I dont understand this posts title...

10. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (May 25th, 2017)

Liked

SDL wrote:
    " ..and I dont understand this posts title..."

Quelle surprise.