List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Will Alex Salmond go for a third stint?

Liked

Re: Will Alex Salmond go for a third stint?

Scottish wrote:
    "Surely even Arsepiece (one half of SGT's BritNat Rottweiler Attack Squad)"

Rottweiler? Perleeeaaase.

A British Bullmastiff if you don't mind.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullmastiff

Senior member RonanTheBarbarian's Avatar
    Liked

The assumption that the SNP are finished presupposes that Sturgeon's tack to delay a Scottish independence referendum until after the Brexit process is finished will mark the end of the idea of Scottish independence for a while.

But it all depends on how the Brexit process works out.

A disastrous Brexit (not guaranteed, but unfortunately very likely in my opinion) could be just the boost a pro-independence referendum needs.

So, we will have to wait and see about that. Sturgeon might have her way after all.

The Bagehot columnist in the Economist starts his most recent column with a rather funny story from Evelyn Waugh that makes it clear what Bagehot thinks of Brexit...

"A British commando unit offered to blow up an old tree-stump on Lord Glasgow's estate promising him that they could dynamite the tree so that it “falls on a sixpence”. After a boozy lunch they all went down to witness the explosion. But instead of falling on a sixpence the tree-stump rose 50 feet in the air, taking with it half an acre of soil and a beloved plantation of young trees. A tearful Lord Glasgow fled to his castle only to discover that every pane of glass had been shattered. He then ran to his lavatory to hide his emotions, but when he pulled the plug out of his washbasin the entire ceiling, loosened by the explosion, fell on his head.

A year on from the Brexit referendum Britain feels like Lord Glasgow’s castle."

You can read the full article here:

http://www.economist.com/news/britai...itains-decline
    Last edited by RonanTheBarbarian; July 1st, 2017 at 18:10. Reason: to add link

Liked

Roman, the assumption you refer to at the start of your post is frankly ludicrous - the SNP have just won an absolute majority of Scottish seats in Westminster.

The Tories have NO majority and are relying on crackpot terrorist sympathisers to keep them in power. Labour failed miserably to even get close to Government and the Lib Dems totally flopped!

Yet (quite rightly) nobody is suggesting that any of those parties is "finished".

Liked

SGT's gruesome twosome - the Ultra Brit Nats known as Arsenal and Frequent - will no doubt be delighted to read the following:

http://tinyurl.com/y9stwf68

http://tinyurl.com/y89uwol3

Naturally, in relation to item 2, I'm already all signed up and may even post a NewAlanna type review if I can develop enough pomposity over the next month or so.

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    SGT's gruesome twosome - the Ultra Brit Nats known as Arsenal and Frequent - will no doubt be delighted to read the following
    While I can't speak for arsenal (who can?) I am indeed delighted by this news. Politicians exist to keep us entertained and it looks as though there's months if not years of high quality entertainment ahead

Liked

Indeed - since, as Paul Begala said:

Politics is just showbusiness for ugly people

Liked

I agree with the sentiments above. Alex Salmond is above all else, a showman. He's the PT Barnum of British politics and I say that with the highest compliment. What he achieved with a small, sidelined largely irellavant party was nothing short of political genius. I genuinely have nothing but respect for the guy.

Scottish wrote:
    "Naturally, in relation to item 2, I'm already all signed up and may even post a NewAlanna type review if I can develop enough pomposity over the next month or so."

No development needed. Haha.