Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shanghai

Liked

Shanghai

A friend told me about a entertainment center in Shanghai. Suppose to have different floors and elevator. He confirmed that it was gay. Sadly he has no idea where he was. There were about 30+ host boys to have drinks with.

I have searched a lot online but nothing remotely close to what he was talking about.

The only thing i could find was some kind of sex club. Pretty expensive. Very cute boys though...well photo shopped or both. http://www.yhboys.com/ywphoto.asp?areaid=1

I met one of the boys in the picture on Blued but that isn't really getting anywhere yet.

So any of you guys some tips? A host bar would be great. Also mb cruising sounds interesting.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Shanghai

I used to visit Shanghai regularly but the last time was 6 years ago and the gay scene has been changing quite dramatically. The most famous bar for about 20 years was Eddy's but that closed in 2015. I wonder if your friend was taking about Underground Shanghai Studio, but that has also closed.

Like you I can find no additional information about that boy bar. However it looks quite similar to another well-established massage/spa establishment with branches around the country - Gay-Sky Massage - https://www.boy-sky.com/

I suggest when you get to Shanghai you ask about it at one of these gay bars - Lucca or Happiness42. You'll find details on the utopia-asia and Travelgayasia sites.

NOTE: One thing you must NEVER do is pick up guys from the street. This has been discussed before here and street cruising can often be outright dangerous.

http://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showth...anghai-Warning

There are many hundreds of thousands of day labourers in the city, many looking to make cash from unsuspecting tourists. Often that cute willing guy you just picked up and taken back to your hotel will either use violence to rob you before you can get your pants off, or more likely there will quickly be a knock on your door and he will be joined by several of his pals perfectly prepared to beat you up before making off with your valuables and whatever cash they can get you to locate. Take this advice from the utopia-asia website re Shanghai -

"Do not, under any circumstances, go with anyone offering a massage on the street along or near Nanjing Rd. You will almost certainly be taken into a room and robbed. This happened to me just meters off the main shopping street and in the middle of the afternoon. They felt quite comfortable doing this despite the plethora of police on show in Nanjing Rd. No Chinese are ever approached, but all foreigners are. Stick with reputable businesses listed here."

Liked

I will be going to Shanghai soon so i will report back. Besides fountainhall's important advise and for any newbie to Shanghai please google about scams in China before you travel. If any Chinese approaches you speaking good english in a tourist area it is more than likely the start of some sort of scam. Sad that it makes is so difficult if anyone is genuine but i took the "trust no one" approach. Besides that i have two great friends i met from Blued in Shanghai and hopefully will meet both again on my next visit. One of the guys knows all the popular clubs so i will be happy for him to show me around again.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by fountainhall View Post
    NOTE: One thing you must NEVER do is pick up guys from the street. This has been discussed before here and street cruising can often be outright dangerous.
    I've read that advice a few times. However, for the same boys to go on the dating apps would be the most minor evolution to their scam.
    Can it really be that black & white that other forms of dating are safe ?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
    Can it really be that black & white that other forms of dating are safe ?
    Good point! Even with the apps, though, you obviously have to exercise a certain degree of caution when meeting up - and that applies almost everywhere in the world. On the other hand, in the main Chinese cities there is a very definite scam often involving both individuals and small organised groups that presently are working the streets. Because of strong security issues, my view is that these individual guys will do everything to avoid entering hotels on their own. A day labourer-type guy will go nowhere near even a 2-star hotel unless he is with someone who obviously is staying there. Their modus operandi is the streets where it is easy to "bump into" obvious tourists. So far the scams seem to involve relatively uneducated guys. Perhaps they have not yet got into the apps. Many may speak a little English and I guess may be totally unable to communicate in English on the apps. Certainly I have never encountered a problem in several cities and Chinese friends who were in Bangkok recently also told me they have not heard of any app scams.

6. User who gave Like to post:

goji (March 30th, 2017)

Liked

Thanks for the information.

In the mean time I have spoken with my friend's boyfriend and he had a clearer memory. He told me that the places was in Nanjijn, and when I looked it up, it was listed as a place with money boys. It's called Red Bar if anyone is interested. I'm just sticking with Shanghai.

What this Utopia warning is concerned, I can do no more than laugh. No disrespect Fountainhall, but that website is has become pretty much irrelevant for me a long time ago. There are really better options around now a days. This one guy that has no clue about the dangers of certain activities and gets taken for some cash. Immediately there is a big old warning that "it should never be done." Well yes, clearly not by him. I've heard of many tricks, and in some of them, someone I knew was the target. I got my phone stolen once, but all of these situations had one thing in common; stupidity of the victim, which includes me. I appreciate a warning but refuse to believe that this is the norm.

I can give you guys a big old warning about scams in Vietnam. But this would be crazy. Most people will have a good old time and a very small percentage will get scammed. I agree that reading up on scams that are going on is a good thing but an all out cry for not to go cruising is really a big overreaction.

There will be a detailed report after my trip and I hope I can give some useful advice.

PS could the admin respond to my private message please?

PPS i might have confused some sites and there was only spoken about a particular street or zone here. The point is that I've read a couple of things on different sites and I did read these warnings, but it might not have been on this forum.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by vnman2 View Post
    I agree that reading up on scams that are going on is a good thing but an all out cry for not to go cruising is really a big overreaction.
    There will be a detailed report after my trip and I hope I can give some useful advice..
    I understand your point about utopia - to a degree. There is still some useful information to be found there. But as I know you recognise that's just one source. As you may have read on the thread here, I myself got myself involved in a scam in Beijing. Well, scam is no doubt overdramatic. In my case a guy started chatting to me and was interested in coming back to the hotel. We went - and then the demands for a lot of money started. Thankfully I got out if it - but, yes, it was basically my fault because it was close to a park known to be a place where money boys cruise and I should have realised he was a money boy probably out for a good deal of cash!

But looking at a variety of sites, the massage scam seems to be the one most favoured when approaching foreigners in Shanghai. Here's one description from a weibo site and which also appeared on TripAdvisor (and yes, I have my own doubts about that particular site!) -

“I was offered a foot massage in Shanghai then was taken to a building where a different type of massage was offered on the body. I was forced to pick a girl then it took 10 minutes before we were done. Before the massage they told me about 300 RMB ($40.00) but after the massage a big guy walked in the room with 2 other guys and gave me a bill for $4200.00 which included room rent. I was shocked. They also knew which hotel I stayed.”
    http://www.whatsonweibo.com/10-scams...watch-out-for/

I look forward to your report.

Liked

I understand your point about utopia - to a degree. There is still some useful information to be found there.
    Besides the fact that updates are scares, my biggest beef is the warning they issue when they list a place with money boys. Many people are looking for just this and they needn't beat around the bush. If that, then why not warn for the happy endings of most of (if not all) if their listed messages places.

But Utopia is clearly not the issue. I think I read your post and you where not in that obvious a position. It's hard to bring up the issue of money because its easy to insult someone. You also were in your trusted environment, so I really don't see anything wrong there. I'm happy you were able to stand up for yourself.

My advantage is that I would never go for a message from a guy, or prostitute in general. Inviting boys over for sex is also not my thing. I'm more into just dating a bit and getting to know the guys that I meet via apps. My favorite places are hosts bars. I never had any problems in them anywhere in the world. I didn't find a bar in Shanghai yet frequented by MBs but will keep looking.

The first 3 days Ill be a the race track for the shanghai Grand Prix. I met two incredible cute guys on blued that i would like to explore a bit more. Language is a problem but something like that can be fun too.

The weakest point that I can think of in my situation is that I'm using Airbnb. This will not give me the protection you enjoyed in Beijing.

Thanks for the link. I'm planning on giving that a good read :-)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Sounds to me you know exactly what you want and I'm sure you'll find it. And you know what to be careful of. Have a great trip. I'm not sure if you've been to Shanghai before but it is a fantastic city. Knowing at least some of the history is useful if you have time to read up beforehand. Sex in all its forms was readily available in the 1920s and 1930s.

Liked

That's better!

Sex in all its forms was readily available in the 1920s and 1930s.
    What you were saying about Shanghai's past is actually often portrait in movies. It's interesting how western laws have spoiled a lot of good fun around the world. Thanks to the Brits and Dutch in this region :-)

This site is pretty good in my opinion: https://www.travelgayasia.com/shangh...ars-and-clubs/

The massage places reviewed there seem to be safe enough. Normally I'm not into the butch boys that are on offer in massage places. However, I've seen some Cute twinkies on some of the website. It's still massage though and not for me.

I also noticed that some boys on blued will invite you to one of those places. Never had that in Thailand. Only offers to come to my place here. I wonder if that has to do with culture or maybe that it's not the boys who are actually chatting.