Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Tarntawan Surawong Hotel.....update

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Re: The Tarntawan Surawong Hotel.....update

Quote Originally Posted by newalaan2 View Post
    But I agree one of the main reasons smiles and spike built up the readership here was due to the shear amount of useful information posted by a wide range of contributors, this aspect has been totally overlooked by those who see it purely as entertainment opportunity and a chance to have their egos massaged, the inane banter has unfortunately taken over and is in danger of suffocating the whole forum.
    Completely right. It is also the reason that this forum, and the moderators, should show some respect to posters who have shared their knowledge and experiences over many years. The forum is only as interesting as the contributors.

2. 5 Users gave Like to post:

bobsaigon2 (November 5th, 2017), joe552 (November 5th, 2017), lonelywombat (March 21st, 2018), neddy3 (November 6th, 2017), Oliver2 (March 21st, 2018)

Liked

As someone who partakes in the 'banter', I honestly don't see why we can't have both. I've found the forum invaluable in planning my upcoming trip - given it's been a couple of years since my last visit - and I'm really grateful to all those who shared their knowledge and experience.

While I suppose the banter can seem to dominate sometimes, it doesn't exclude the possibility of information sharing as well.
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

4. User who gave Like to post:

bobsaigon2 (November 5th, 2017)

Liked

If you're going to chuck it Brad then it's going to come back at you. No one wants you to leave the board. As I've made clear, my tenure ends on 31 December 2017 and it's probably yours for the asking so you can moderate the board to the way you want it.

https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showt...480#post227480

Liked

In between handing down their opinions from the moral high ground they think they occupy, could the half a dozen members who actually give a toss about this one particular nothing-special hotel, please try to accept that not everybody finds it interesting or entertaining?

On the contrary some of us find this never-ending topic to be a bigger load of "inane banter" than anything posted by those you apparently look down on.

I do respect the fact that you might find it interesting - I don't, so I generally avoid it now (this post being an obvious exception).

If you're one of the aforementioned half dozen, then you can take a similar attitude to stuff you don't like, rather than whining like a dog who's caught his balls on a barbed wire fence.

7. User who gave Like to post:

joe552 (November 5th, 2017)

Liked

Until recently this board has always been a pretty cool place to hang out. Sure we've always had the never ending bickering, put downs and slings 'n' arrows but we also have coffee mornings where 4/5 members are engaging with each other, often on various threads and chatting pleasantly on one while hurling grenades on another and then in the evening it sometimes starts again.

However recently we've had the likes of MickP and Samebb join and bring their poison and this has taken the board somewhere no one (since Surfcrest took over) has wanted to go. Battle hardened members such as Christian, A447, myself and probably many others were looking for alternative places to go. Slowly but surely we'll get rid of them and develop a way to spot them and get them out sooner rather than later but it will take time. No one wants banning members to become a routine event.

So it's pretty simple really. All members are free to post as many times as they want to on this wretched hotel and to start new threads to tell us all that the hotel policy is to leave two sugar sachets rather than one. And other members are free to moan about yet another thread on this hotel.

And Brad. Your 'likes' to post ratio is absolutely piss poor. A bit more effort if you don't mind. Joe...please give Brad a 'like' to cheer him up. Thanks.

9. 2 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (November 6th, 2017), pennyboy (November 6th, 2017)

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

cndmatt is testing the waters and snotface is noticeably absent.
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    If you're going to chuck it Brad then it's going to come back at you.

https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showt...480#post227480
    Chuck it? Chuck it?! Tell me where I did that on the page you linked to, although there were good examples of gratuitous abuse by moderators.

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    And Brad. Your 'likes' to post ratio is absolutely piss poor. A bit more effort if you don't mind.
    Oh dear, I thought my days of having my homework marked by teacher were over. Another example of the delusions of grandeur that have affected you since you became a moderator.

I cant say that I have ever posted to be popular, however, in my defence, I have been posting here nearly twice as long as you, and I think that you’ll find that most of my posts were made before the option to “like” posts existed!
    Last edited by Brad the Impala; November 6th, 2017 at 05:32.

Liked

Fair defence Brad. And I had delusions of grandeur way before my present exalted status.

Liked

Both are highflying and adored.

14. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (November 6th, 2017)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    I do respect the fact that you might find it interesting - I don't, so I generally avoid it now (this post being an obvious exception).
    'That' post and your recent request for an update on another thread, So many thanks to Scottish-guy for his recent reminder for me to post my 'regular' 4-monthly update on things Tarntawan.......but for him I would have completely forgotten. I know this topic is dear to hearts of many? some? a minority? here, and it now seems Scottish-guy has been a closet admirer, even demanding updates, though he's never stayed here for some considerable time, if at all (I genuinely can't remember if he ever said he has) . He is always quick to remind me in his posts that we agree on very little regarding forum content.......true!.......yet it seems the Tarntawan updates are one area where we cast our differences aside and come together as one...as it were...enjoying all those little details of things Tarntawan.

I'm not sure if there is a way the topic heading can be changed to simply Tarntawan rather than 'hotel' only as it seems the hotel part of it is now consigned to 'the past' for bf and I, a very enjoyable and memorable past it must be said, but now replaced by The Tarntawan Apartments. As stated in a previous post here, there isn't that much wrong with the Hotel to necessitate a move elsewhere, but having given the Apartments a try back in October, enjoying our stay we decided to give them another try to see if the first stay wasn't just a fluke.

It wasn't, and after our most recent stay end of Feb happy to recommend the Apartments for those not bothered about having to stay in full-service accommodation. This time we booked the smaller Studio Apartment (35sqm) as there was no vacancy for the larger 1-bed unit (43sqm) at the time of our booking. However when we checked in we were given the key to a larger 1-bed apartment, on querying reception was told......free upgrade! due to being so busy. Last time we stayed in a 1-bed corner unit with nice views over the Surawong Road direction, this 1-bed although not the larger corner unit still had excellent open views from a different aspect on the 9th floor. Little difference in facilities and space compared to Corner Unit. Pluses compared to hotel...... more space for your baht, excellent full kitchen with huge fridge, cooker/hob, microwave, kettle, toaster all crockery and utensils and excellent WiFi which was often 'an issue' at the Hotel. Large bedroom with aircon and roof fan with nice views too, full size wardrobes with safe box, bathroom just off and again much better than the hotel version, with great shower and enclosed cabinet. Living area sofa, easy chairs, dining table for 4, TV with 150 channels, aircon and roof-fan. Daily room cleaning if required, we didn't bother for short stay at end of trip, but also never bothered when we stayed in the hotel. Daily change of towels and water bottle replenishment on demand as per the hotel is all we require.

Bf always used to say he didn't want to stay anywhere else in Silom/surawong as he liked the Tarntawan Hotel so much. But after this recent stay at the Apartments, he is now keen to stay only there now.....how fickle. It suits him more than me really, he likes to cook his own 'stuff' all ingredients available not far away at Food Land, and he likes to microwave 7-11's own processed 'stuff' when lazy or second days street-food 'stuff'. I don't watch TV except music channels, he likes all the Thai 'stuff' especially the over-acted, over-dramatic, over-long camera close-up Thai soaps which I always considered comedy style send-ups, he considers me 'disrespectful' laughing out loud at the 'serious' bits, he's Thai so he loves the 150 channel TV.

We always liked the familiar faces at the hotel, but our last few stays after the changes there we saw many less familiar faces than previously. Now the Apartments are the familiar faces and excellent they are too, every bit as welcoming as the hotel staff were. Prices...unlike the normal seasonal price fluctuations at hotels the Apartments appear to have all-year-round rates. Large 1-bed is Bt2500, if you don't want the optional continental breakfast it's Bt2300. The Studio is Bt1800 and Bt1600 without bfast option, not too bad for silom/surawong. Credit card payment accepted as per the hotel if required.

As for an update on the Tarntawan Hotel, I can only advise that it was still there and still open when we passed it daily on our way to/from the Tarntawan Apartments. Weird though is the email confirmation from Apartments, as it is set out exactly as the hotel one used to be, with the old Tarntawan 'logo' and signed off by Lucas.

Don't worry, if still able/want to post here after June trip rather than all this detail re-hashed again...i'll just update with 'no change' in future. I realise that may be a let down for Scottish-guy, but he can still glory in the fact that the thread will be available here to re-visit on demand with a simple 'Tarntawan' entry on the forum search option.

16. 9 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (March 21st, 2018), arsenal (March 21st, 2018), Asia Traveler (March 21st, 2018), bobsaigon2 (March 21st, 2018), dinagam (March 21st, 2018), gerefan2 (March 22nd, 2018), Maxxy (March 25th, 2018), Oliver2 (March 21st, 2018), splinter1949 (March 21st, 2018)