Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Tarntawan Surawong Hotel.....update

Liked

The Tarntawan Surawong Hotel.....update

All the Tarntawan Hotel posts seem awfully out of date so thought a new thread with recent update would be just the thing needed.

I do hope this thread does not attract the nasty little trolls who expand threads unnecessarily by adding posts about why they don't like the length of the Tarntawan threads and lengthen them by doing so, in fact the other Tarntawan threads are so full of padded out irrelevant (to the subject)posts from these irritating people, those actually interested in the progress of the Tarntawan have to wade through dozens of them to reach relevant content. Anyway.............

Can report from my own observations of a few days ago very little has actually changed in relation to our enjoying a stay here as in the past. Everything is not the same, as would be expected with new owners, but the occupancy level has changed to 'almost full'....'very busy' as were the comments from the long standing members of staff who kept their jobs.

I used their new website to book and for the first time didn't use/ask for/offered 'friends of Tarntawan' rate. In fact the rate was cheaper than previously as I used one of the booking options for advance non-breakfast and executive room, but they just took payment on check out as usual. Nice Suriwong room on 4th floor, good WiFi. Business centre still there on reception floor with free use of computers and printer. Same chaps on lift/overnight guest duty, normal shifts between them. Young lady (new staff) on reception actually remembered us from last stay in Oct but doorman/bellboy made sure I was given good room choice as we listened in on their deliberations of our check-in.

Everything in room same as..same as...everything working DVD/TV/Kettle etc.. Only negatives is that there are less staff to deal with arrivals and departures, but not a real problem, it just means all hands on deck most of the time. Friend visited with car and car park room was made with security keeping car keys as usual and moving car as needed. When checking out bellboy busy with Japanese golfers...same as most visits, so liftboy organised big taxi from street for airport run.

The times we came and went saw a few of the usual gay gentlemen with Thai friends also coming and going, a few Asian mixed sexes, no throngs of Chinese, but plenty of the usual Japanese. Honestly could see little difference. Room service menu not in room! but took a copy from the cocktail bar and we ordered our normal items which were excellent as usual. Took a bit longer than previously to answer and deliver room service, with a big apology from the usual room service lady who said so very, very, busy today! Very long time since I heard very very busy and Tarntawan in the same sentence.

Did somebody mention chocolate in the room minibar in a previous thread? my room had non-chocolate which they charged for along with a non-razor. There are a few items in the room minibar but no list so I had no idea what was there or missing, I only know I used none of their offerings so razor and chocolate removed from bill and the Bt300 they were going to charge for nothing went to reception girl, liftboy and bellboy.

Just a normal, usual experience at the Tarntawan Surawong Hotel. So have booked for June again. The long standing staff were very appreciative of our business and took time to update boyfriend about what was going on, apparently there will be changes/upgrades where needed, but to be started in low season. They also said there are many returning customers just like ourselves. So for us, at the moment no need to look elsewhere.

Liked

Re: The Tarntawan Surawong Hotel.....update

300 baht for a razor and chocolate. Serious mark up.

Liked

I was there four weeks ago....and newalaan2 is correct in every detail. I booked my next visit at check-out.

Liked

After 3 pages of irrelevant twaddle (2-4) I know many will be keen for a recent update on this fine establishment, so happy to oblige with resurrecting thread.

Latest stay much the same as February. Executive Room on 4th floor perfectly ideal for us. TV/DVD/Kettle as well all other room facilities working fine. WiFi also fine. Used office as usual for important emails and printing. Newspapers available freely as before, room menu available until 10pm with all usual favourites. Staff same faces as last visit, attentive and excellent service. Bf made to feel comfortable on arrival with 'welcome back, nice to see you again' (in Thai) from long serving staff members. Again Surawong exect room rate at less than previous 'friends' rate.

Never bother getting room cleaned when here but replenishment of towels, water etc quickly on demand. Fruit bowl new addition to room. Easy check out. no 'extras' on bill and bell boy had luggage down and decent taxi arranged from street quickly on the morning of check out.

Usual Japanese customers staying as well as some Chinese but not tour-bus types. Usual westerners coming and going. Satisfied as per usual so no need to search elsewhere for Silom/Surawong accommodation, looking forward to October stay again. Surawong Rd feeling quiet at top end before Soi Twilight as that side of the road all shuttered up as demolition/work on new Montien Mall has started right down to Tawana Hotel. Starbucks, road side restaurants, small market all gone!

5. 2 Users gave Like to post:

GWMinUS (July 5th, 2017), Tintin (July 6th, 2017)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Ha we must be staying at the same time N/A, I'm currently up on the 6th floor and can concur with all you've said re no major changes. There is a feeling of slightly less staff about the place and for the first time ever I had to go behind reception to get my own key as there was NO ONE present - anywhere - and I could have had anyone up to the room unchallenged.

I thought on arrival I was going to have to check out as they'd stopped providing the lovely chocolate bars in the mini bar but no, disaster was averted when on request some was delivered to my room.

I've enjoyed Bangkok as always and even in low season there's more than enough action here to keep one busy, although weirdly via a lot of flipinos this trip on my part it seems !! Perhaps my PH bf is clouding my vision somewhat !

So, it's off to Bali tomorrow for me now to start another round of adventures all over again !

Liked

Thanks for returning to the topic.
    It's good that old faithful is still spurting though it's a long time since I stayed there.

Liked

Stayed at this hotel in March and again in April. Same as before. Missing a few staff people that I liked but still plenty to make you feel welcome. As noted the room fee now is lower than before. Will be back in November.

Liked

Thank you newalaan2 for starting this thread. I have stayed at the Tarntawan a number of times but not for some years as in my view it was getting rather shabby. I appreciate your sensible review and perceptive comments.

10. 2 Users gave Like to post:

francois (July 23rd, 2017), Mickp (July 22nd, 2017)

Liked

About time we had some Tarntawan news, as going by the many views these Tarntawan threads attract it seems to be of great interest to some.

So........anyone planning a Bkk stay in October can avail themselves of a 'sweet suite' promotion (until 31 Oct). The large corner suites only (not deluxe or exec)have an offer of a two night stay (or multiples thereof) for price of one, but midweek only. Prices for some Oct dates strangely as low as Bt1350 per night for these massive rooms, but most at just over Bt2000, still very reasonable.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    300 baht for a razor..
    Surely good value for anybody driven to slitting their wrists by this ... what was it...."twaddle"?