Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: The Tarntawan Surawong Hotel.....update

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Liked

Re: The Tarntawan Surawong Hotel.....update

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    I do respect the fact that you might find it interesting - I don't, so I generally avoid it now (this post being an obvious exception).
    'That' post and your recent request for an update on another thread, So many thanks to Scottish-guy for his recent reminder for me to post my 'regular' 4-monthly update on things Tarntawan.......but for him I would have completely forgotten. I know this topic is dear to hearts of many? some? a minority? here, and it now seems Scottish-guy has been a closet admirer, even demanding updates, though he's never stayed here for some considerable time, if at all (I genuinely can't remember if he ever said he has) . He is always quick to remind me in his posts that we agree on very little regarding forum content.......true!.......yet it seems the Tarntawan updates are one area where we cast our differences aside and come together as one...as it were...enjoying all those little details of things Tarntawan.

I'm not sure if there is a way the topic heading can be changed to simply Tarntawan rather than 'hotel' only as it seems the hotel part of it is now consigned to 'the past' for bf and I, a very enjoyable and memorable past it must be said, but now replaced by The Tarntawan Apartments. As stated in a previous post here, there isn't that much wrong with the Hotel to necessitate a move elsewhere, but having given the Apartments a try back in October, enjoying our stay we decided to give them another try to see if the first stay wasn't just a fluke.

It wasn't, and after our most recent stay end of Feb happy to recommend the Apartments for those not bothered about having to stay in full-service accommodation. This time we booked the smaller Studio Apartment (35sqm) as there was no vacancy for the larger 1-bed unit (43sqm) at the time of our booking. However when we checked in we were given the key to a larger 1-bed apartment, on querying reception was told......free upgrade! due to being so busy. Last time we stayed in a 1-bed corner unit with nice views over the Surawong Road direction, this 1-bed although not the larger corner unit still had excellent open views from a different aspect on the 9th floor. Little difference in facilities and space compared to Corner Unit. Pluses compared to hotel...... more space for your baht, excellent full kitchen with huge fridge, cooker/hob, microwave, kettle, toaster all crockery and utensils and excellent WiFi which was often 'an issue' at the Hotel. Large bedroom with aircon and roof fan with nice views too, full size wardrobes with safe box, bathroom just off and again much better than the hotel version, with great shower and enclosed cabinet. Living area sofa, easy chairs, dining table for 4, TV with 150 channels, aircon and roof-fan. Daily room cleaning if required, we didn't bother for short stay at end of trip, but also never bothered when we stayed in the hotel. Daily change of towels and water bottle replenishment on demand as per the hotel is all we require.

Bf always used to say he didn't want to stay anywhere else in Silom/surawong as he liked the Tarntawan Hotel so much. But after this recent stay at the Apartments, he is now keen to stay only there now.....how fickle. It suits him more than me really, he likes to cook his own 'stuff' all ingredients available not far away at Food Land, and he likes to microwave 7-11's own processed 'stuff' when lazy or second days street-food 'stuff'. I don't watch TV except music channels, he likes all the Thai 'stuff' especially the over-acted, over-dramatic, over-long camera close-up Thai soaps which I always considered comedy style send-ups, he considers me 'disrespectful' laughing out loud at the 'serious' bits, he's Thai so he loves the 150 channel TV.

We always liked the familiar faces at the hotel, but our last few stays after the changes there we saw many less familiar faces than previously. Now the Apartments are the familiar faces and excellent they are too, every bit as welcoming as the hotel staff were. Prices...unlike the normal seasonal price fluctuations at hotels the Apartments appear to have all-year-round rates. Large 1-bed is Bt2500, if you don't want the optional continental breakfast it's Bt2300. The Studio is Bt1800 and Bt1600 without bfast option, not too bad for silom/surawong. Credit card payment accepted as per the hotel if required.

As for an update on the Tarntawan Hotel, I can only advise that it was still there and still open when we passed it daily on our way to/from the Tarntawan Apartments. Weird though is the email confirmation from Apartments, as it is set out exactly as the hotel one used to be, with the old Tarntawan 'logo' and signed off by Lucas.

Don't worry, if still able/want to post here after June trip rather than all this detail re-hashed again...i'll just update with 'no change' in future. I realise that may be a let down for Scottish-guy, but he can still glory in the fact that the thread will be available here to re-visit on demand with a simple 'Tarntawan' entry on the forum search option.

2. 9 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (March 21st, 2018), arsenal (March 21st, 2018), Asia Traveler (March 21st, 2018), bobsaigon2 (March 21st, 2018), dinagam (March 21st, 2018), gerefan2 (March 22nd, 2018), Maxxy (March 25th, 2018), Oliver2 (March 21st, 2018), splinter1949 (March 21st, 2018)