Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pinnacle Hotel in Bangkok

Liked

Re: Pinnacle Hotel in Bangkok

Quote Originally Posted by frequent View Post
    " ... I'm a great believer in the silent breakfast ... "
    Oh, that was you then, yes the sad-sack forlorn gentleman, covering up his loneliness with well-practised stoicism.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

2. User who gave Like to post:

lonelywombat (September 26th, 2018)

Liked

I share Smiles' enthusiasm for the Pinnacle as a conveniently located medium range hotel. Last time I was there about a month ago I thought the breakfast buffet had improved somewhat - better organised with things you want close at hand (like a milk jug next to the tea and coffee facilities) and the grilled tomatoes no longer tasted as if cooked in vinegar. Like frequent I enjoy my silent breakfast. I paid 1140B per night through Jimmy, which struck me as good value. Poor old Jimmy is looking really frail these days. I couldn't even find him to pay for my room for several days and in the end we bumped into each other on Rama IV and made the transaction there, papers, pens and bank notes cascading all over the place.

The coffee shop mentioned by frequent right by the entrance to the hotel on Soi Ngam Dupli is well worth a visit. It's small (hence its name Size S) but does the best coffee I've had in Thailand apart from another small establishment called Ponganes in Chiang Mai. It does a range of sweet snacks to go with the coffee. I visit every afternoon when I'm staying at the Pinnacle and keep telling the owner to move to a new shop called Size L, where I'm sure he'd make his fortune.

4. 2 Users gave Like to post:

frequent (September 24th, 2018), werner (September 25th, 2018)

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
    Oh, that was you then, yes the sad-sack forlorn gentleman, covering up his loneliness with well-practised stoicism.
    I recognised you from your avatar, but forbore to come over and talk. We could have discussed, I guess, The Wombat - a future talking point will be his total incomprehension about what a crowdfunding site is for, although given that he doesn't understand the difference between shopping (but failing to buy) and window-shopping ...

Liked

Snotface said: I paid 1140B per night through Jimmy, which struck me as good value. Poor old Jimmy is looking really frail these days. I couldn't even find him to pay for my room for several days and in the end we bumped into each other on Rama IV and made the transaction there, papers, pens and bank notes cascading all over the place.

I find it a bit easier to pay a smidge more and avoid Jimmy these days. Time is money and Jimmy certainly knows how to waste time- 25 mins to write a receipt with all the flourishes and having to listen to his gripes (and he insists on giving you a recept.)
    Having said that, Jimmy can organise an early check-in if your plane arrives early and you need a snooze.
    The Pinnacle has it's uses - everyone knows where it is, it's also great for people- watching
    !

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Years ago I always booked with Jimmy a few years ago he had a stroke.....He was always somewhat difficult but he became impossible. A friend likes Malaysia hotel down the street it is about 1000 per night no joiners fee and has a 24hr restaurant, free wifi and has recently been renovated.

http://www.malaysiahotelbkk.com/
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

8. 2 Users gave Like to post:

mr giggles (September 25th, 2018), paperboy (September 24th, 2018)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    Years ago I always booked with Jimmy a few years ago he had a stroke.....He was always somewhat difficult but he became impossible. A friend likes Malaysia hotel down the street it is about 1000 per night no joiners fee and has a 24hr restaurant, free wifi and has recently been renovated.

http://www.malaysiahotelbkk.com/
    I had a look at the rooms in the Malaysia, as a non-smoker, the smell in the rooms was untenable.
    Also the rooms seemed a bit grotty- though I have made use of the 24 hr restaurant.

Liked

Thanks for the interesting comments about Pinnacle. I will book rooms there again. I am so sorry to hear that Jimmy has become so frail; he was always good to me.

I do like Malaysia Hotel. Several years ago, I looked at a few rooms, and they seemed noisy and dirty. The food in the restaurant was mediocre, at best.

Perhaps I am a cantankerous old European, but I like to eat my breakfasts alone. Even when I have a hot guy for the night, I do NOT bring him to breakfast to parade before all the gawking and lusting gay men. And I do NOT like to engage in small talk at breakfast with the chatty Americans and Australians. If they greet me, I speak in very rapid French. They usually get the hint.

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by werner View Post
    And I do NOT like to engage in small talk at breakfast with the chatty Americans and Australians. If they greet me, I speak in very rapid French. They usually get the hint.
    My usual response is to reply in a rather languid cut-glass accent "I'm frightfully sorry, I don't speak English"

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by mr giggles View Post
    I had a look at the rooms in the Malaysia, as a non-smoker, the smell in the rooms was untenable.
    Also the rooms seemed a bit grotty- though I have made use of the 24 hr restaurant.
    The rooms on the top floor at the Malaysia are better. I've stayed there a few times. I hate the smell of cigarette smoke but it's never been a problem.

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Mancs View Post
    The rooms on the top floor at the Malaysia are better. I've stayed there a few times. I hate the smell of cigarette smoke but it's never been a problem.
    I am an X smoker amd detest the smell however, I've never had and issue with this @ the Malaysia.
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"