FAQ & Help

Thread: Dodgers Trip Report

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Forum's veteran
    Liked

Dodgers Trip Report

Well, here I go again.

I guess this is Trip Report # 36, as I’ve been writing one after every bi-annual trip for the past 18 years now. Boy…does time fly when you’re having fun.

I’ve enjoyed being with the same Thai partner for the past 3 years now who I’ve talked about in previous trip reports. He is a fashion designer… independent-thinking…self-motivated …extremely shy… home body type…who doesn’t drink or cater to the nightlife. I adore him. He spends much of the day painting women’s couture dress designs using water colors on canvass which he in-turn uses to create designer dresses when he returns to his home/business in Buriram when my holidays end.

I visited the bar scene in Sunee a total of 6 times during my 3 month holiday which is a far cry from my wild bar running days in the past, but waking up without a hangover and actually having money left in my wallet in the mornings has gotten addictive. Having said that, there isn’t anything I could tell you about the bar scene that you guys don’t already know. I’m constantly amazed at the resilience that the bars have and wonder how they could possibly keep their signs up with so few customers. The only time I witnessed any sizeable farang gatherings in the Plaza seemed to be when one of the bars was offering free food. The balloon chasers appeared to be in heaven.

In final preparation for my retirement in a year or two I was able to complete the renovation and furnishing of a studio condo I purchased in Bang Saray 2-1/2 years back. No sooner than the work was complete and my partner and I began staying there for long spells (versus Pattaya) the owner of the unit directly next to mine made me an offer I couldn’t refuse. So I purchased his studio which now provides me twice as much space (about 80 M2). I will renovate the new unit in April when I return and install French doors to connect the two units. Having a separate bedroom after residing in a one room studio in Pattaya for the past 6 years will be great, and my partner loves the fact that we now have enough room for a dining table and chairs. I have already arranged the workers and plan to have the renovation complete before the Songkran period starts and the Thai whiskey starts flowing.

My partner and I enjoyed celebrating Loy Krathong in Bang Saray, and, for the first time, saw many gay boys (and ladyboys) strolling along the promenade. Admittedly, I have always felt a bit awkward being the only farang walking around town with a Thai boyfriend, and seeing other gays for the first time gave me, and I’m sure my partner, a great sense of relief. Most of the farang population in Bang Saray seem to be 65 y/o guys with 25 y/o Thai girls (or wives) who never give my partner or I a second look, and of course the Thais could care less, but it’s sure nice to see that that are other gays residing there.

I was delighted to learn about the new ferry line service between Pattaya and Hua Hin and plan to take a ride sometime during my next holiday to see if I can find my old cyber friend Smiles lurking around the shores. I know that the Thais pay as much attention to safety standards on their boats as they do their buses and will make sure that there are enough life vests before walking up the gangplank.

Trump became president during my stay which accounts for at least one night that I went out to the bars to get drunk. For some reason just knowing that I will be retired and residing in Thailand versus the U.S. during his term gives me a sense of relief. Of course he could get impeached before I retire which would dampen the enthusiasm.

I can’t recommend any new restaurants in Pattaya, but if any of you guys visit Bang Saray there are 3 great places worth visiting. 1) The Beach Restaurant (last open-air restaurant on the promenade) which has the best Indian curry dishes I’ve ever eaten and my partner says the grilled sea bass is the best he’s had in Bang Saray. 2) Kua Yai Ging for Thai food lovers. My partner and I rarely agree on the quality of Thai food but both give this place a thumbs up. 60 baht will get you one of the best Thai meals you’ve ever eaten, but it’s all Thai spicy – no watered down farang stuff (just a stone’s throw past the boat docks on the right side of the soi). 3) Jasmine Norwegian Restaurant (make a left turn at the circle when you first enter town and go 50 yards down on your right). Honestly the best farang meals I’ve had in Thailand. Reasonable prices and you can’t finish what they put in front of you. Their smoked salmon melts in your mouth.

All in all a another great holiday...can't wait to get back...miss him too much...and the weather here is Chicago sucks.

Cheers

2. 8 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (January 8th, 2017), BenCH (January 8th, 2017), christianpfc (January 8th, 2017), llz (January 9th, 2017), sglad (January 8th, 2017), steveky (January 11th, 2017), Surfcrest (January 8th, 2017), Tintin (January 8th, 2017)