Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here I Come!!

Liked

Here I Come!!

Gentlemen, I have taken the plunge and will be in Pattaya in late February for a month. Got a good fare via China Airlines New York-Taipei-Bangkok for $1110; premium economy between JFK and TPE and business class TPE-BKK. As of now intend to stay at Zing at first and East Suites later to try it out.

It will be a pleasure to arrive in Bangkok at a reasonable hour (10:00 am) for once and just hop the bus straight to the Jomtien terminal.

My IPhone worked fine for Hornet, etc., last time. Is it worth buying a cheap phone for local calls while I am there? I have heard this and that about changing chips (?) for local use in Thailand but I fear messing with my iPhone.

Liked

Re: Here I Come!!

All I can say is, if you're in a contract, there's a chance your phone is locked to your carrier. If uou need to get it unlocked at Tuckom, be careful about leaving your phone with anyone. Make sure you get a business card / work order, etc.

If anything don't let the phone out of your sight. Otherwise you may return 30 mins later hoping to pickup your newly unlockked phone, only to find out you no longer have a phone. Happened to me once years ago.

bbn

Liked

I bought a 700 bht phone in Tuc Com, which does all that I need. I get a new SIM each time I come. 100 bht.

4. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (December 13th, 2016)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    I bought a 700 bht phone in Tuc Com, which does all that I need. I get a new SIM each time I come. 100 bht.
    I am woefully ignorant on this stuff---the SIM gives you local usage for a given period?

Liked

It's pay as you go. Wehn your phone is running low on funds, you'll get a SMS message letting you know. Then just visit any 7/11, and ask them for 100 baht.

Actually, that may be wrong. I remember a while ago Leo mentioned something about 1-2 Call and 7//11 getting into a pissing match, and 7/11 discontinued carryinng 1-2 Call. I don't know, he takes care of that shit, so maybe another poster can confirm?

Then yes, funds you load on the phone expire, and validity length depends on how much you put on the phone. Can't remember what it is, but *530# or something, it costs 30 baht, and gives any funds about to expire another 30 days of validity. You'll get a SMS letting you know what that 3 digit code is.

Liked

For as long as you keep adding money to your phone. You can google SIM card for detailed info on it. Basically the SIM card is your cellphone number.

Liked

Does anyone knows where is the AIS store in Pattaya so that I can get the traveler Sim card. That seems to be the best deal for high speed data

Liked

At the side of Tuc Com, as I recall....to the left as you face the shop.

10. User who gave Like to post:

Davey612 (December 13th, 2016)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    At the side of Tuc Com, as I recall....to the left as you face the shop.
    That's t True move shop that you have described AFAIK?

The Tukcom AIS shop (TeleWiz) is on the first floor right next to the stairs (or go up the escalator take a left and walk 10 metres)

There is also another TeleWiz shop in the basement of Central at the beach road end
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

12. User who gave Like to post:

Davey612 (December 14th, 2016)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    It's pay as you go. Wehn your phone is running low on funds, you'll get a SMS message letting you know. Then just visit any 7/11, and ask them for 100 baht.

Actually, that may be wrong. I remember a while ago Leo mentioned something about 1-2 Call and 7//11 getting into a pissing match, and 7/11 discontinued carryinng 1-2 Call. I don't know, he takes care of that shit, so maybe another poster can confirm?

Then yes, funds you load on the phone expire, and validity length depends on how much you put on the phone. Can't remember what it is, but *530# or something, it costs 30 baht, and gives any funds about to expire another 30 days of validity. You'll get a SMS letting you know what that 3 digit code is.
    Indeed, no more phone top-up at 7/11 (for some months already). But there are these little machines where you can do top-up.

The codes and validities vary with carrier. SMS might be in Thai language.

Nowadays, you have to register with your passport when you buy a SIM card. You might want to to this in a mobile phone shop, you can do at 7/11, but then staff will run around with your passport and your phone, take picture of your passport with their phone to send it somewhere, server other customers while your data is uploading, and unpleasant experience. I imagine in a phone shop it will be more civilized.

14. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (December 14th, 2016)