Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: EMIRATES now charging for SEATS

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: EMIRATES now charging for SEATS

Quote Originally Posted by fedssocr View Post
    Pretty much all of my miles and points are thanks to credit card bonuses and spend. Most of the big players (Chase, AMex, CITI) now have cards with no foreign transaction fees. They're always introducing new products, so new bonuses. And several airlines are happy to sell you miles at a discount which can work out very favorably.
    I have read a lot about these offers available in the USA and about flyers who sign up for several promotions with a ton of free miles, use the cards for a year and then jack them in and start with another lot. I always wonder what the benefit is to the card issuers when they give away so much.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Old git View Post

Wonder what the service will be like? - will an Islamic national carrier have enough alcohol on board to get me off to sleep...??
    Funnily enough I find that those Middle East airlines pour the alcohol down your throat far quicker than the likes of KLM or BA! It comes faster than a mamasans unwanted bullshit!

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by gerefan2 View Post
    Funnily enough I find that those Middle East airlines pour the alcohol down your throat far quicker than the likes of KLM or BA! It comes faster than a mamasans unwanted bullshit!
    Sounds promising!

Only problem seems to be a lack of Port on board (although last year I found EVA air had a bottle on board even though it wasn't listed on their website) - it's by far the most civilised way to knock yourself out on board IMO..

I always make a point of drinking the supply of Port dry on a long night flight. EVA even used the correct glasses for it - I've often had to explain to Thai and Lufthansa crews that Port should never be served in shot glasses..
    Last edited by Old git; December 5th, 2016 at 22:42.

Liked

Old Git, it seems you really shouldn't be flying to Thailand at all - you should be sipping your port from the correct glass on the first class deck of the Queen Mary via Singapore and Kuala Lumpur where you'd be disembarked from the ship in full drag in a sedan chair carried by half a dozen Nubians

14.jpg

Forum's veteran
    Liked

...nubians...really....there u go again scotty....so racist...typical of someone from your era....black guys doing all the heavy lifting...

Liked

You really are THICK - anybody with half a brain can tell that the era and the reference to nubians is part of the joke.

And Old Git doesn't look that "heavy" in the pic.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by fountainhall View Post
    I have read a lot about these offers available in the USA and about flyers who sign up for several promotions with a ton of free miles, use the cards for a year and then jack them in and start with another lot. I always wonder what the benefit is to the card issuers when they give away so much.
    The banks take their cut from the merchant for every transaction. So, between annual fees and the money they make on spend, I suspect it's worth their while or they wouldn't do it. Those of us who pay off our bill every month might not be cash cows, but a lot of people don't do that so they get to make interest income as well. I think the people who are playing "the game" are still a relatively small percentage of all their customers. So they can afford a certain percentage of so-called freeloaders who pay off their bill every month. Some cards are worth keeping and putting all your spend on, some are just good for collecting the initial bonus and then canceling a year later. The card issuers are also in marketing tie ups with the airlines or hotels so they get the miles or points at a steep discount.

Liked

"Old Git, it seems you really shouldn't be flying to Thailand at all - you should be sipping your port from the correct glass on the first class deck of the Queen Mary via Singapore and Kuala Lumpur"

The cruise ships have never been very strong on port - nothing of value in that regard went down with the Titanic.. - poncy cocktails are more the cruise scene, which I can well do without.

The Ying and Yang of visiting Thailand is that I take rest from guzzling fine wines (I won't pay Thai store prices for claret..) I also take a break from drinking coffee, and also (which may seem odd, but I can recommend it..) making or receiving phone calls.

Anyone wanting to communicate with me has to use text messaging or email - which is so much more civilised than the 'phone..

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by fedssocr View Post
    The banks take their cut from the merchant for every transaction. So, between annual fees and the money they make on spend, I suspect it's worth their while or they wouldn't do it.
    You must be right - and yet! If you get 50k miles for joining, the first year free and then spend just the minimum $3,000 (?) in 3 months before cancelling at the end of the year, the card issuer cannot generate more than about $150 max. Yet those miles are "worth" at least $1,000 if put towards a biz class trans-Pacific return ticket - and probably a lot more.

Citi has a card in HKG issued in conjunction with Asia Miles. The only benefit is about 50% more miles than other cards. A Citi exec once told me the bank actually loses on the scheme but they regard it as a loss leader to draw customers to the bank's other products. Whether that actually works for them, I've no idea.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    " ... You really are THICK ... "
    As said by a few thousand over the years: PLEASE don't feed the trolls.
    Latinmotherfuckempoxx is a troll par excellence ~ no admiration there ~ and every keystroke he makes on this board has one and only one intent .. to wind you up.
    Put him on Ignore, don't read him, don't reply to anything he writes, sit on his face, fuck him in the ass with a 12-incher. The Amish got it right: shun him as no other ... and their 'shunned' are rarely like the idiot this board has to put up with.

And by the way Latinmotherfuckempoxx, don't bother me with PM's as they are even more mundane and jejune than your winding-em-up posts.

(Whoops ... am I feeding a troll??)

----------------------------------------------------------------

Back to airlines ...
    Last edited by Smiles; December 6th, 2016 at 19:02.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand