FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Renting and Riding a Motorbike in Pattaya

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Renting and Riding a Motorbike in Pattaya

Depends where you rent and for how long. I usually pay 150 a day for several months.
    If you don't have a Thai licence you should obtain an Interbational Drivind Permit based on your licence.
    In the U.K. You get it from the AA.

Liked

Good questions:

Dalewood: Rental costs probably vary but go to the same place and I pay 150 baht per day and as there are so many places hiring out you should be able to negotiate that rate anywhere. Insurance is best done from your own country and each policy will differ regarding theft or accident.

Scottish: Legally you need an International Driving Permit and in the case of The UK they are issued by The RAC and The AA. But unless your UK driving license specifically allows you to ride a motorbike it will not have the stamp and so will not give you the permission to ride a motorbike in Thailand. However foreigners riding a motorbike without the correct license in Thailand is a good source of income for the police and is therefore no big deal. If stopped you will be issued a ticket and this involves a 500 baht fine. It is still worth having the permit because the police will keep this and allow you to ride off. It is best to pay the fine at the police station because you get a receipt and you can show this the next time you are stopped and will be waived on. Your license is returned once the fine has been paid. Over my recent 10 day visit I passed many police checkpoints but for some reason was not stopped once.

Liked

It's not a big problem MFAS. As I've said...just pay the smallish fine.

Liked

MFAS my question shouldnt surprise you.

Yes, I have visited Thailand many many times but it has not even occurred to me to hire a motorbike, therefore I have never made enquiries as to the requirements.

Thanks Arsenal for answering the question - I had anticipated that money would solve all. My BF in Vietnam drives a car and motorbike and has no licence for either!

"Just pay money" as he says.

5. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (December 5th, 2016)

Liked

Some of my fondest memories from Thailand are the adventures I have had when on a rented moto. Driving to Bang Saray and spending the afternoon on and around the docks. Driving late at night down past the gay beach and finding a group of thai boys playing volleyball on the beach. Buying them beer and watching them play for an hour or so. Driving around with a thai guy and going to the movies..or just going out to dinner. Driving up north along the highway (slowly) then driving the back streets to Pattaya. Several trips driving out to Asian University and checking out the college guys!! All fun trips. and many more

7. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (November 30th, 2016)

Liked

I live in Pattaya and have been driving a car now for 5 years with only one minor accident (hit by a tour bus). I had been visiting Thailand for over 20 years prior and never had a need, a want to use rent or use a motorbike. All the gay areas are easily accessible by songtaeo or a short walk. Driving a car or motorbike here is not like your home country, defensive driving is unknown and the the driving culture here is just different. I talk to the tourists in my condo block and query them about their obvious injuries and of course the answer is always a motorbike accident. I visit BHP regularly and the number of patients being treated for motorbike injuries is staggering. I go to the expat club here and we have stories about some old fool that was crazy enough to own and drive a motorbike here. Driving around town during the day it is all to common to see motorbike accidents with people lying on street or nursing their injuries. Just ask the bar boys to tell you about their motorbike accident stories (often with scars). So in my opinion, enjoy the boys, enjoy your holiday and enjoy your life and don't rent a motorbike.

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/10/2...h-organization

9. 2 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (December 5th, 2016), mahjongguy (November 30th, 2016)

Liked

This thread was really intended for those who do reat a motorbike and have non stop fun doing so. Perhaps the woosies who are too scaredy cat to rent one could start their own thread to reinforce their fears.

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    This thread was really intended for those who do reat a motorbike and have non stop fun doing so. Perhaps the woosies who are too scaredy cat to rent one could start their own thread to reinforce their fears.
    I doubt anyone here is trying to reat a cat.

Liked

typo MFAS.

Liked

Riding a motorbike in Pattaya is a personal decision, like running with scissors or playing Russian roulette. All great fun until it ends in tears.

Just these cautions:
    - If you are 60 or older, you don't have the peripheral vision nor the reaction time to drive amongst the yaba kiddies.
    - If you've been here for more than 90 days, your IDL isn't valid.
    - If you aren't properly licensed, your insurance won't pay.
    - If you get insurance included in the rental, it only covers damage to the bike, not you or others that you injure.

And for God's sake please don't carry your golf bag sideways.

14. 2 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (December 5th, 2016), francois (November 30th, 2016)