Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Back to normal in pattaya

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Back to normal in pattaya

I have to agree with Matt on the way farangs 'wai'.
    Some farangs go for the highest wai, meant for elders, religious leaders etc.
    and not teenage bar boys. Of course, they are behaving ridiculously, but I imagine with
    good intentions.
    If you don't know what's appropriate, a head nod usually suffices.
    I suppose one could kiss a boys feet but not in public pleezze

2. User who gave Like to post:

a447 (November 20th, 2016)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    You're a farang, and he's not your king. Wear whatever you want, as nobody gives two shits if you're wearing black or not.

If anything, I'd say don't wear black, because it'll just make you look like a retarded imposter. Same as when farangs wai go-go boys.
    Wearing black to reflect the cultural sensitivities of Thailand can in no way be likened to farang giving a wai to go -go boys.

Matt, do you really live in Thailand? If so, how on earth have you survived so long, especially in a traditional setting?

Unbelievable!

4. 5 Users gave Like to post:

aussie_ (November 20th, 2016), christianpfc (November 25th, 2016), destiny (November 20th, 2016), fountainhall (November 20th, 2016), francois (November 20th, 2016)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by a447 View Post
    Wearing black to reflect the cultural sensitivities of Thailand can in no way be likened to farang giving a wai to go -go boys.

Matt, do you really live in Thailand? If so, how on earth have you survived so long, especially in a traditional setting?

Unbelievable!

I son'r knoq, maybe because instead of trying to act Thai and impede on their culture and societal norms, I realize Thais are a very proud people and decide to respect those things from a distance while remaining respectful with the values enstilled in me as a Canadian?

Not sure, but that's my guess.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    I son'r knoq, maybe because instead of trying to act Thai and impede on their culture and societal norms, I realize Thais are a very proud people and decide to respect those things from a distance while remaining respectful with the values enstilled in me as a Canadian?.
    I'm not sure what that first part is about, but if you don't realise that Thais actually have great respect for farang who take the trouble to wear black at this time of deep national mourning, it would seem you don't have much knowledge of the Thai character and way of thinking! It has absolutely nothing to do with your nationality!

7. 2 Users gave Like to post:

aussie_ (November 20th, 2016), francois (November 20th, 2016)

Liked

Yesterday there was a public mourning on beach road Pattaya and most were wearing black there and many around town. Other than that I don't see many farang wearing black nor even the majority of Thais now. I would not suggest anyone should pack a load of black clothes for upcoming visits.

Liked

I can't say I have noticed any difference at all. Either in dress or general behaviour. Pattaya is as much fun as it always is.

Liked

It’s not very often that I find myself on a different side from the opinion expressed by cdnmatt. But on the first part of your post cdnmatt, I believe you are plain wrong for the very good reasons expressed by a447 and fountainhall in their posts above.

I expressed by own views on the wearing black clothes on the topic Jellybean, at post #7, on 5 November 2016, when I said:

‘I was however happy to fit in [by wearing black] and show my personal expression of respect and sympathy with Thai people for the sad loss of His Majesty the King.’

And:

‘Shortly after I arrived back, the residents and staff of my apartment building were invited to attend a very moving and respectful candlelight ceremony to offer our condolences on the death of HM the King. I was glad at that time to be wearing the right apparel and was treated very kindly by the Thai people present.’

I returned to Bangkok this morning, after 3 days in Pattaya, where I found that not as many people were wearing black as in Bangkok. The exception being, as pennyboy commented on above, on Saturday, 19th, when Beach Road was closed to traffic as preparations were made for the, “Memorial service for HM the late King.” as brought to our attention by arsenal on his topic of the same name. Almost every Thai I saw was wearing black, as were many foreigners.

Back in Bangkok today, many people, Thais and foreigners, are still wearing black, but not as many as last week. Many of those wearing more colourful clothes have opted to wear a black ribbon.

When I am looking for an answer to a Thai cultural question, I turn to the rather helpful Thai concierge staff at my apartment building. They advised me today that government employees are still expected to wear black or white and that most Thais will continue to wear black or white, but it is not compulsory. With regard to foreigners, it is entirely up to them if they wish to show solidarity with Thai people at this sad time by wearing black or white.

Bringing a black shirt or two won’t, in my view, do any harm a447. I’m sure you’ll look quite distinguished in a black shirt or polo shirt.

But on the subject of the wai by foreigners when approaching go-go boys, bar staff, shop and restaurant workers, I do however agree with cdnmatt. In my view, foreigners should not instigate the wai in those cases and, in other cases, a simple nod of the head in reply is usually enough of an acknowledgement, unless you are perfectly comfortable with the correct way to instigate or return the wai.

11. User who gave Like to post:

steveky (November 21st, 2016)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post

But on the subject of the wai by foreigners when approaching go-go boys, bar staff, shop and restaurant workers, I do however agree with cdnmatt. In my view, foreigners should not instigate the wai in those cases ....

With the go-go boys I find that a kiss on both of their cheeks is the most opportune way to greet them.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    With the go-go boys I find that a kiss on both of their cheeks is the most opportune way to greet them.
    Yes but what if they won't drop their pants to receive the aforementioned kisses?

14. 4 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (November 20th, 2016), christianpfc (November 25th, 2016), Dalewood (November 20th, 2016), steveky (November 21st, 2016)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Damn you François! Why didn’t I think of that? Well, who could disagree? To hell with the wai I say, I’m all for adopting François’ method of greeting a go-go boy, or other cute Thai boy, and would happily do so if I could get away with it!