Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Hospital in Bangkok?

Liked

Best Hospital in Bangkok?

I've had some hip pain, diagnosed in the UK as osteoarthritis. I'm seeing a physio next Thursday in Manchester. I hope to be in Bangkok in January. What hospitals there would you recommend for a second opinion/more explorations? I'm staying in Sathorn. Any experiences/suggestions welcome.

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Re: Best Hospital in Bangkok?

I would recommend the Bangkok Nursing Home, convenient for Sathorn too. Been going there for forty years, and never been unhappy with their service.

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Bumrungrad International Hospital...Most doctors have trained abroad...1st class facilities.

Liked

By reputation, Bumrungrad would be the first choice (and most expensive).

Liked

I would recommend the Christian Hospital in Silom street. A few years ago I sent a Thai friend there, he suffered from "Youth Arthritis which was extremely painful. He could not afford a "real" doctor and had to rely on the "30 Bhat treatment". The doctor at the Christian hospital came to the right diagnosis , he really cared about my friend, checked his blood etc. and gave the right medicine. I showed the doctor s paper to a friend of mine...the boss of a famous hospital.. when I was back in Europe and he told me he would have chosen the same treatment like the Thai doctor. I think the bill was around 4000B , blood check and medicine includeded

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I agree that Bangkok Nursing Home is the most convenient for you. It's expensive but slightly less so than Bumrungrad which is also an excellent hospital. Both are truly international and I have had treatment at each. I suggest you get two medical opinions before you make a final decision.

Liked

While in the past I have used Bumrungrad and been very happy with it, living in Chiang Mai now, there are other options. Returning to Europe earlier this year I suffered a severe attack of gastroenteritis and used BNH since I was staying on that Soi. Treatment was efficient and effective, but the thing that struck me was the ambiance of the place. More spacious and less rushed than Bumrungrad is these days.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Bumrungrad does feel a bit like a supermarket at times, especially at the pharmacy. It is also attracting an increasing number of Middle Easrern clientele. Sometimes it feels like it's located in one of the Gulf States rather than Thailand.

Liked

I think you're coming at this the wrong way...

Almost all major hospitals in Thailand list their doctor's (abbreviated) CVs on their website along with the physician's or surgeon's background and area of practice. That means the well-informed consumer can drill down and pick the doctor whose training and preferred types of procedure most matches your perceived need.

I would suggest picking 3 doctors who you have confidence in - at least on paper - and set up a well-planned introductory appointment/interview. List all of the things that you need to evaluate before firming up a decision including things like commuting distance, distance from a coffee shop, price etc. Once you hear what they have to say about your condition and treatment plan and after appraising all of your criteria, you can decide if he/she is the doctor for you.

As an aside, all the major hospitals can provide a written estimate of almost any medical procedure; other posters are correct in saying Bumrungrad is premium priced but it does have 2 Starbucks, an Asia Books, a MacDonalds, and more such amenities. Also, I've been told that Saudi Arabia pays for all medical costs anywhere in the world which might account for a number of Muslims prepared to go to Bumrungrad, the most expensive but best-reputed hospital in SE Asia.

I was recently a patient at Bumrungrad and was completely satisfied but I ended up there after meeting 3 qualified-on-paper doctors at 3 different hospitals. I picked the Bumrungrad guy because he said all the right things (including that he understood that I need to make the decisions after he advises me) AND he had the proper training.

Another doctor at a different hospital was quickly ruled out as didn't even assess the condition before he told me what treatment option he was going to pursue. He was in charge and I was just supposed to go along with whatever he decided.

Another doctor at a third hospital was imminently qualified but didn't have a bedside manner that worked for me and as my complaint required frequent consultations and decisions, I wanted someone I could fully communicate with.

So, my advice is to get hugely informed on your condition, ignore the hospital, find a small pool of qualified doctors, interview them, and decide which is the one you trust and can communicate with.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Rainwalker; December 18th, 2016 at 09:46.

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Rainwalker your reference to Saudi Arabia is interesting as Saudi citizens are cannot get a visa for direct travel to Thailand resulting from the theft of "The Blue Diamond".