Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Renting and Riding a Motorbike in Pattaya

Liked

Renting and Riding a Motorbike in Pattaya

I think this topic is worth a thread by itself.

I didn't rent a bike for my first 4 visits to Pattaya and now 12 years later I still consider those 4 visits wasted. Here are just a few things a motorbike will allow you to do easily, cheaply, quickly and actually yes...safely because the Pattaya traffic is rather well ordered and virtually no one has their wallet stolen when they're on a motorbike, unlike a baht bus.

1) More boys. You can check out the available talent in Sunee, Boyztown and Jomtien in about an hour if you so desire.
    2) Have a coffee at the top of the mountain and watch the evening lights begin to twinkle over the city as you decide where to start the evenings nefarious activities.
    3) Day 5/6 feeling a little rest from the bar scene is required. Ride all the way along to the end of Jomtien Beach Road and from there The Glasshouse is about ten minutes. Sit at the bar and enjoy a latte or a cocktail as the warmth and ambience of this stunning place washes over you.

This is just a tiny taste. Loads more to come.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Renting and Riding a Motorbike in Pattaya

Pattaya traffic is well ordered?!?!?!?!?
    Really????
    Clearly you have never been to Pattaya.

Liked

In my opinion there is no such thing as safe driving when it comes to motorbikes. The Thai drivers are skilled since they have ridden on bikes since infants however so many drive like maniacs. They don't know or care about safe driving. I had two farang friends who bought motorbikes here and within days had accidents which kept them from further driving due to fear. Another friend who did have a license and training also had an accident trying to avoid a dog. He also eventually gave up driving.
    As for myself, even though I was licensed at home and owned a scooter I never felt comfortable driving in traffic although used the bike for trips to markets and to explore the back roads.Now just can't afford to drive and end up with broken bones or worse.

4. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (December 5th, 2016)

Liked

Personally, I'm too scared to drive here, either truck or motorbike. Not so much for my own safety, but because I'd hate to have to wake up every morning for the rest of my liffe knowing I accidentally killed a kid.

Kim had a motorbike, and I'd just be the passenger, which worked fine for me. Then Leo has no desire for a motorbike as it's too busy here, plus he enjoys walking / jogging, which again works fine for me.

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    Personally, I'm too scared to drive here, either truck or motorbike

I imagine that might awkward at the moment.

7. 3 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (December 5th, 2016), francois (November 29th, 2016), scottish-guy (November 29th, 2016)

Liked

Oh I dunno - I always liked Mr Magoo

Liked

You all really need to lose the idea that Thais drive like maniacs because you know what...in Pattaya...NO THEY DON'T. And it's a little rich to say how a whole group of people drive when you've never tried it yourself. But then to be fair, I've ridden a bike in China and so compared to that almost anywhere is going to seem calm and peaceful. It is as they say...up to you. However all my points are of course going on the basis that you are not drinking alcohol and are riding sensibly. Otherwise you get what you get. But if you ride a bike the same way that you would drive a car in Britain. America or any other western country then you will be fine.

Liked

In my younger days, I would always rent a motorbike in Pattaya or Phuket. I went all over Phuket Island and even as far as Sattahip. Now at age 61, it just does not seem worth the aggravation. Ten baht will get me close enough to Jomtien Plaza, Sunee, or Boystown. The Homex Inn and the nearby host bar in North Pattaya are long gone.

While we are on the subject:

1) How much is the rental these days?
    2) How does insurance work in case of accident?
    3) How does insurance work in case of theft of the motorbike?

Liked

Apart from the above - what are the driving license requirements (assuming you actually require one)?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Depends where you rent and for how long. I usually pay 150 a day for several months.
    If you don't have a Thai licence you should obtain an Interbational Drivind Permit based on your licence.
    In the U.K. You get it from the AA.