I have just returned to my work [ugh....]after several nights of great fun in Bangkok.
Yes, the go-go bars were alive, and I enjoyed myself....

Now for my comments: I hope that this does NOT sound anti-American. I lived about 7 years of my life in the U.S. and have many American friends. For the record: I am European but have lived all over the world.

During my trip to Bangkok, I stayed two nights at Tarntawan Hotel and two nights at Pinnacle Hotel. At both places, chatty, elderly, gay Americans sat down near my breakfast table and started talking away and tried to socialize with me.

[I know that they did NOT do so to pick me up. I am almost 70, a bit overweight, and well-past my handsome youth.]

I did NOT want to be unfriendly or rude, but why do Americans like to talk to strangers so much? And why do they think that everyone wants to hear their complaints about the recent American election? Yes, Trump is awful, but I do have to hear their diatribes? Why can't I just enjoy my coffee and a good book, and get ready for an evening of hot action?

Have I become a cantankerous old man because I do NOT like small talk with strangers?
Is there some polite way to tell Americans that I do not want to socialize?
Is it necessary for all gay elderly farang travelers in Bangkok to be friendly with each other?