Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Wiping Shop Products with Banknotes in Asia for Good Luck

Liked

Wiping Shop Products with Banknotes in Asia for Good Luck

I've seen Thai shopkeepers wiping their stock with a Thai banknote to bring good luck to it and make it sell quicker. For example, in Chiang Mai a woman wiped her tour leaflets with the note I paid her with. Do people in surrounding countries do the same? I know people in Vietnam believe in luck in a similar way but I haven't seen shopkeepers do the same.

2. User who gave Like to post:

Moses (November 28th, 2016)

Liked

Re: Wiping Shop Products with Banknotes in Asia for Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Mancs View Post
    I've seen Thai shopkeepers wiping their stock with a Thai banknote to bring good luck to it and make it sell quicker. For example, in Chiang Mai a woman wiped her tour leaflets with the note I paid her with. Do people in surrounding countries do the same? I know people in Vietnam believe in luck in a similar way but I haven't seen shopkeepers do the same.
    my "two cents" (from tales of my Thai friends): there are 2 condition for to meet such behavior of seller

- not every money are good for that "procedure" but only money from first customer at this day
    - first customer should be male

apd: I forgot to mention - at time of "procedure" they are silently chanting : "Money are going to money, sold that and will sell this!" [google-translation]

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Well into my 4th decade living in Asia, I've never heard of this before.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by fountainhall View Post
    Well into my 4th decade living in Asia, I've never heard of this before.
    Well, dear khun FH, then you still have many more superstitions or whatever one may call it to learn. The nr of what the Chinese (mostly) in this field have imagined is indeed colossal. Whilst I certainly also do not know them all. Many may not be very general, but confined to certain families/clans only though.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

am sure most of u guys have also heard of the tradition that stall holders are willing to strike a deal early in the morning as they believe that this will set the ball rolling for the rest of the day

Liked

I sure did in the market in Saigon. Early in the morning the market sellers insisted that, if I asked the price I had to buy as it was bad luck for them if I didn't buy. I argued that, since I didn't know if I wanted to buy without knowing the price, I couldn't ask the price early in the morning so I couldn't buy. How they get the first sale of the day I know not. Perhaps they expect me to walk up and say: "I'll have that t shirt. Here's 2 million Dong".

And one can wipe oneself with banknotes as well -in Thailand anyway-to become more lucky with money.

8. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (December 4th, 2016)