Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where is/how is Matt/cdnmatt

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Where is/how is Matt/cdnmatt

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
    I had not heard about dangers of eye problems during flights mentioned above by Fountainhall. I defer to him on that part
    My only experience was with a detached retina. Since I had to go on a major business trip within a few days of its being discovered, I was told I either had to cancel the trip as the changes in pressure in an aircraft would likely tear more of the retina away or undergo immediate cryosurgery. I opted for the surgery and was able to fly 4 days later.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    No Smiles, making monthly payments while being an expat would be breaking the law, and you still wouldn't be covered if found out.
    No Matt, it's not 'against the law', it's against BC Med rules.
    The worst scenario for myself would be that I'd have to wait 3 months and after that I'm back on the rolls. No BC Med SWAT teams crashing down doors.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I really find this whole issue impossible to comprehend, that someone would put their sight at risk?!?!?!?!?!? I would move heaven and earth and then some to get proper medical care in the shortest time possible.

Liked

Wow Smiles, you weren't very condascending in that post. I'm guessing that's the closest we'll ever get to you admitting you're wrong? If you pulled that stunt and got found out, they'd probablyfigure out what date you became a non-resident, then bill you in full for all medical fees incurred since that date. I can't just live in Thaailand for over 6 years, then show up up at a Caanadian hospital and drop $30k of taxpayers money on medical expenses, even if I kept up my monthly fee. CThe Canadian healthcare system is reserved for residents, not citizens.

Anyway, point was I'm paying out of pocket regardless, so if I en up out country for this, it will most likely be Singapore, as I see no benefit whatsoever in going back to Canada. Problem there is I highly doubt I can get Leo into Singapore, and I need him these days, as I can hardly go by myself. Regardless, Bangkok should have everything we need.

Liked

Getting healthcare in Canada for a Canadian is as easy as landing at the airport by plane. I'll even pick you up for free and drive you to a hospital. Getting your new Medical Services Card (MSP) might take a lot longer, but if you have an old BC Driver's license, that would be enough. They can renew both into one card for you, not that you'll be wanting to drive here, blind and such...although I'm sure no one would notice.

You'll have to argue with them (MSP) later about paying your premiums, but I'm guessing you'll be back on a plane by then and viewing all that in your rearview mirror.

Surfcrest

6. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Brad the Impala (October 26th, 2016), goji (October 19th, 2016)

Liked

I am not a Canadian, but I am now experiencing problems with Cataracts...
    So for any eye problem my sympathies are with CD Matt!!
    Hope you can find an qualified eye doc there in Thailand!!

Liked

Cataracts. Yep, I am right in that group.

On my TH trip in April this year, I sought estimates for cataract plus refractive surgery (a one-day procedure per eye) from Bumrungrad, Bangkok, Nakornthon and Bangkok Christian hospitals. The least expensive was BCH. I was uncomfortable about the eye Drs at Nakorthon. Bangkok Hosp and Bumrungrad quoted prices about 2 1/2 times the Sydney price.

When the time comes, I will probably get the work done in Sydney at about $3,500 per eye.

Best wishes.
    [i][color=#0000FF]"One day our descendants will think it incredible that we paid so much attention to things like the amount of melanin in our skin, or the shape of our eyes, or our gender, instead of the unique identities of each of us as complex human beings."
    ~ Franklin Thomas[/color][/i]

9. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (October 28th, 2016)

Liked

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/25/europe...ce=twitterfeed

Look! Even the crew of this British Airways flight stopped by unexpectedly to take advantage of our free healthcare system late last night.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Surfcrest View Post
    " ... Look! Even the crew of this British Airways flight stopped by unexpectedly to take advantage of our free healthcare system late last night ... "
    Pretty sure that British Airways will be footing the bill for everyone on this gig. Health care or no health care.​
    Seems to be a lot of whiners and wingers on this flight about delays, hotels, smokey economy class aisles. Frankly, if there was any kind of 'problems' on any flight I'd be deliriously happy that we would've made it down in one piece, even if it was Tuktuyuktuk (sp?).
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

12. User who gave Like to post:

Surfcrest (October 26th, 2016)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Yraen View Post
    Cataracts. Yep, I am right in that group.

I sought estimates for cataract plus refractive surgery (a one-day procedure per eye) from Bumrungrad, Bangkok, Nakornthon and Bangkok Christian hospitals. The least expensive was BCH.
    Do you still have the estimated prices quoted please?