Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visa run

Liked

Visa run

Now planning my winter break in the LoS, I am going to need one visa run in mid Feb.

- Where to?

Siam Reap is relatively easy. Although the flights aren't cheap, the timing avoids the need for a hotel in bangers - or travelling at ungodly hours. Visa on arrival also makes things simple.

But.. I've had my fill of Cambodia's rich but primitive culture. They breed some delightful guys, but those who work seem to taken advantage of ASEAN and decamped to Pattaya. On my last two visits I always woke alone, and not by choice..

But what are the alternatives? Laos is charming, in a French colonial way, but my one trip there suggested that the adult scene is so repressed that it trades in a dangerous gutter. I'm told that Vietnam is even worse.

Burma is a bit fussy on the visa front, but not impossibly so. It has been a very repressed country, and as it has opened up one hears of shortage propelling hotel room rates, but the words 'sex' and ' Burma' (let alone 'gay') never seem to feature in the same sentence..

Sri Lanka is tempting, but the flight timings are horrid. My distant recollection of the PI is of a country where one is constantly hustled, which I didn't like.

So back to Cambodia? Might PP be more fun..? Am I missing a trick in Siem Reap?? Hmm....

Liked

Re: Visa run

Saigon is a good alternative to Cambodia. Lots of guys online in gay apps. Much cheaper than Bangkok.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

1. Air Asia now also serves SR-and as you know, they mostly do lower fares as budget. There is also the daily bus-direct even also possible (one still has to decamp at borderchecks).
    2. Bali-also quite do-able with AA-though its rainy season then there and some areas full of ever screaming Ozzie pubescent girlies/sheilas. Malaysia-scene a bit hidden, but quite nice and much less pressured and commercial, or indeed the big VN cities. Though VN suffers out of those from the same Khmer syndrome: undeveloped, plus utter eager money grabbing people-even uch worse as the most notable Thai.

Liked

Hi,
    There's a direct flight to KL from Vientiane, Air Asia is usually around $65 each way and depending on your nationality no visa to pay for in Malaysia and cheap food and hotels.
    Cheers

Liked

Didn't shortlist Malaysia because of the islamic element - or am I judging too quickly?

Given that I feel too old to be using 'Apps' for finding guys - what's the scene like in KL? Are hotels 'guest friendly' Is it easy to pick up MBs? Can I get a drink...??

Liked

Hi,
    I think you probably are...
    Certainly in KL there are plenty of hotels that don't have a problem with guests, the apps are busy, and there must be bars around but I'm not really an expert on those so can't help. There does seem to me at least a lot of MB and also non MBs who are keen to have sex with westerners.
    Drinking is easy and not a problem, it's available in most 7-11s and minimarts without the restrictive hours of Thailand and there are plenty of bars and restaurants around, especially the Bukit Bintang area. It's also good value.
    Cheers

Liked

I can easily go a few days without boys, so gay scene is not important to me. But I detest having to apply for a visa, and therefore Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia and Taiwan come before Cambodia, Lao, Burma. (For German; for your nationality it may vary). My next visa run will be to Taiwan, even though flight and accommodation is more expensive, I appreciate that I can enter visa-free.

Liked

I'm pretty alergic to visas as
    well, especially if it demands mailing off my passport or having to visit a Bangkok visa office before travelling. However, I hold a British passport, so I'd guess the rules are going to be the same as Germany..

Cambodia and Lao visas only demand a few minutes at the airport when you arrive, so no big deal. I was under the impression that Vietnam was more awkward though, although I didn't get very far down that route before a couple of recent visitors deterred me with tales of unfriendly attitudes toward tourists, and intolerance toward gays and commercial sex in general..

I keep wondering whether I've been missing a trick in Siem Reap. The boys who used to populate the Linga bar may have gone to Pattaya, but what about the tuk tuk drivers who wait patiently outside the Men's hotel? They seem quite content to earn a couple of dollars running guests into the town centre, but if I plucked up the courage and asked one to find me a boy - where would I be taken??

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Old git View Post
    I keep wondering whether I've been missing a trick in Siem Reap.
    Yes indeed.

Liked

Pray elaborate.. ;-)