Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Tarntawan Hotel

Liked

Re: Tarntawan Hotel

Off topic - but in 2016 I find the advertising term "gay-friendly" outdated and patronising (it's ok when we say it of course!) - although I smirk at the approach of the Axel Hotel in Berlin (highly recommemded btw) which advertises itself as "Straight-Friendly"

Liked

The term 'gay friendly' is very useful. It allows gay couples to avoid those places and instead knowingly try to book into one that isn't just so they can cause trouble. Or to have their wedding cake made by a fundamental Christian bakery, again perhaps driving past dozens of bakeries that would be only too happy to take the order to get to the one that doesn't want to.

3. User who gave Like to post:

fountainhall (September 24th, 2016)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Can't believe you're throwing up the cake discussion and if you're referring to the Belfast "cake gate" the guy who ordered the cake ordered it from the Bakery not 5 minutes walk from his ( gay drop in centre) workplace ( where the cake was to be cut used later that day). He'd also ordered several random birthday cakes etc there previously and so thought nothing of ordering the "support gay marriage" cake there ( the cake was to be used for a photo shoot later that day). The shop also had a sign in the window saying " we make cakes to order".

So THAT was the point, he wasn't going out of his way to cause trouble, he was simply ordering a cake for use in his everyday ( gay) life - and therein lay the problem, the shop then chose not to supply him as they didn't agree with the message - as a business they should be expected to (and are required by law to) provide an equal service to ALL and not just to the people or the messages they like - and the judge agreed that point when the case went to trial ( which is now being appealed).

IF the guy HAD gone into the shop just "to cause trouble" then fair enough maybe - but he didn't - and you know what even if he HAD of that STILL doesn't mean that gay people or people chosing to promote a gay message should treated like second class citizens and denied service in a public shop which is situated on probably the busiest main shopping street in a UK city centre - otherwise where does it end - just substitute no gays in place of "No blacks, no dogs, no Irish" perhaps ?

There, rant over, but I can tell you that when living with those such loving Christians types like that every day here in Northern Ireland, many of whom would rather we were at the least invisible, if not dead, they unfortunately deserve little sympathy in my book for their actions.

Whilst I do understand their position I also understand that in a modern society we are all bound by laws to ensure all people are treated equally under the law and I too have to deal with and supply some sections of people and political parties that I don't particularly like within my own business, but I also know that I just have to suck that up as if I refused service based on my "not liking them or their message" I too could end up in court - and the Christians should be no different in view as their private religious principals should have no bearing on my everyday shopping habits when I decide to walk into a shop on a high street somewhere with my being refused service simply because I'm gay or that they don't like the message I wish to promote - IMHO.

And apologies I've just realised that this is totally off topic here - so to get it back ON topic perhaps - speaking of the Tarntawan and cakes I wonder is / will they keep the nice wee cafe area on the front of the road when the management changes, as they sold lovely cakes - and even supplied them to gay people TOO ! lol
    Last edited by Nirish guy; September 24th, 2016 at 01:54.

5. 3 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (September 24th, 2016), Davey612 (September 27th, 2016), scottish-guy (September 24th, 2016)

Liked

Such a deft move to get back on topic! Lol

Not only do they sell cakes to gays, they also sell to the local police who are regular visitors, too. I wonder if they are aware what's going on upstairs?

Liked

NIrish: Living in a multi cultural, multi faith, multi ethnic, multi sexuality society can only work if ALL parties make some compromises.

Liked

NIrish - the Tarntawan's cake place is now Art Massage. Some of the "therapists" can be found on Jack'd. According to the satellite, two were 3356 feet from my 5th floor room in the Tarntawan.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    NIrish: Living in a multi cultural, multi faith, multi ethnic, multi sexuality society can only work if ALL parties make some compromises.
    I fail to see the point of your comment in relation to gay people at least.

Do you suggest we to go back to the days of compromising over being branded criminals and being legitimate targets for violence, discrimination, and inequality?

What compromises have the likes of the so-called "Christian" cake-makers or guesthouse operators been willing to make?

I'm rather proud that (in my country at least) young people can now grow up protected by the law rather than criminalised by it as I was.
    Last edited by scottish-guy; September 24th, 2016 at 16:42.

10. User who gave Like to post:

Davey612 (September 27th, 2016)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    Well if you're suggesting I allow someone to treat me as a second class citizen in my own country when I'm an equal tax payer just like they are and just so that they can feel better about their holier than thou views of the world then no, sorry, I'm not prepared to. I'm ALL up for supporting those peoples right to practice whatever religion they wish in their homes and churches etc - but once that comes to treating ME differently than the rest of the world just because I'm gay and they don't like / HATE gays then again, no, sorry that's just wrong in my view.

They are the ones with the issues not me, if their religion doesn't let them open a business where they can treat the world equally then they shouldn't open that business, their problem not mine - and thankfully the law supports MY position too in terms of discrimination of people because of nothing more than their sexuality being unacceptable and illegal in a modern society.

Again "no dogs, no irish, no blacks" etc - should we "compromise" on those things - or should black people sit at the back of the bus so as not to offend or annoy white people - as that would be a reasonable compromise - won't it ?

No, I don't think so. Make me the gay bitch, just like it says you do in your window, I don't give a rats ass if it offends your "personal" views, I'm not coming to your home or your church and asking you to make it in your spare time, I'm standing in a shop in a busy main street of a city, if your views are that twisted that you can't bake a cake for a customer who just happens to be gay then perhaps its your religion and why it's so hateful you need to concentrate on and not who I chose to live with, marry or fuck.

12. User who gave Like to post:

Davey612 (September 27th, 2016)

Liked

Scottish and NIrish. I think you both realise I was suggesting nothing of the kind. However it is rather difficult to expect highly religious people to respect your lifestyle choices if you're not prepared to accept theirs. I suppose what I want is to have my cake and eat it, (geddit) That is for the bakery people to say "we don't really agree with your lifestyle but if you ask us to we will make you a cake" and for the gay people to say "that's fair but we know you don't want to so we won't ask." I know, a ridiculous situation.

But none of that removes the base of this in that it was an attack on the Christians by gay fundamentalists. And I disapprove of that just as much as if it was the other way around.

Liked

So, being gay is a "lifestyle choice"?

Odd.