List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What was the best go-go bar in Bangkok?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: What was the best go-go bar in Bangkok?

Yes My Way was small. I think it was up and running by the mid-1980s if not before. I also recall - I hope correctly - that the boys there were quite amazing pole dancers and that the sleaze came quite a bit later.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

what is ''best'' probably also differs for most.
    But agree with Midn Cwby as nr 1-to add: In the times of the ORIGinal location and when that Singy owner/mamanger (mr John?) was running it. Later it also moved to grander place in same soi-this is now all built over by a giant condo.
    The old Barbiery-along Suriwong, about opposite from soi Twilite, moved to that grand new place in the soi with Golden Cock just BECAUSE it was doing so well and thought it had to expand!
    My personal own best memories-but again its only personal- was a place named [King?] Diamond (or so) on the other corner from Golden Cock-changed names several times, nothing grand, nothing flashy, just that I had the best luck there.
    No place was that hard to find-again that old standby in times before www; a thing called BOOK-TMOT=The men Of Thailand-with detailed maps and listings.

Liked

I still firstly consult the print edition of Spartacus when considering anywhere new and then follow its info up on the www.

The good thing about Spartacus listings is the capital R for Rent in the bar descriptions - so you don't waste time leering over unavailable eye candy.

Having said that, it certainly used to (and still may be) the case that NONE of the gay bars in Thailand were annotated R - which is clearly somewhat ridiculous but I've found the information reliable all over the rest of the world.

The snag is its an expensive book to renew each year but you can always pick up last years edition on eBay at a good discount.

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy
    The snag is its an expensive book to renew each year but you can always pick up last years edition on eBay at a good discount
    Oh you poor thing Scottish! I have a few slices of pizza left over from last night. I'll stick them on eBay too and send you a link.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

The carriage / delivery fee might be expensive though - you know seeing how he's in Thailand and all just now - just in case you missed that point for future reference ?! :-)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    The good thing about Spartacus listings is the capital R for Rent in the bar descriptions - so you don't waste time leering over unavailable eye candy.
    Now that is a good thing. However, I've found a fair number of bars in there which are no longer open, often after a 20 minute walk, although it must be said, mostly in places where there are few gay bars and none with the letter R.

Liked

Yes like all print editions u need to cross reference. Having said that I've found plenty of web guides far more out of date than Spartacus.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by werner View Post
    What was the best go-go bar in Bangkok? What memories do you have?

Midnight Cowboy at its peak in the early 90s was fantastic. It often had 20-30 handsome, athletic guys and no boring lady-boy shows. The guys were so attractive that it was difficult to choose a partner. Sometimes I would leave with two or three. The friendly British transvestite who worked as the mama-san had an acerbic wit, but would leave you alone if you just wanted to enjoy the eye candy. Why can't someone replicate this bar? Why did it close?

Barbiery [spelling?] at its peak in the late 1980s {and early 90s} was also great. It had many handsome guys and good mix of muscular types and athletic twinks. Why and when did it close? It always seemed packed,perhaps too packed.
    Barbiery was wonderful....

9. 2 Users gave Like to post:

lonelywombat (September 17th, 2018), TaoR (September 13th, 2016)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    I still firstly consult the print edition of Spartacus when considering anywhere new and then follow its info up on the www.
    A friend from Germany had a Spartacus with him last year. The Spartacus was the 2015 edition, and the data must have been researched in 2014. I had a look at the Bangkok section and found so many changes that it's not worth consulting Spartacus for Bangkok. Better check up-to date websites or ask on the forums or ask friends.

I don't know if gay venues elsewhere are less volatile.

Liked

Christian - if good old Herr Bruno's Spartacus is so out of date in relation to BKK/Thailand, isnt there an obvious opportunity for a well-travelled fellow German to possibly carve out a nice little sideline there, updating it for him?

12. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (September 14th, 2016)