Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Apartheid/Separate but equal.

Liked

Re: Apartheid/Separate but equal.

Zero empathy. So everyone carries on as if they are the only person around. They don't see what you see, they don't hear what you hear and they don't think the way you think. And everyone has to get absolutely everywhere in a frantic hurry.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    Geez NIrsh, pretty strong feelings about escalators.

When driving down the highway, do you also sit in the fast lane going 30km/h?
    Ha yes the escalator thing boils my bap as we say here in N.I ( drives me crazy :-) and no, I'm normally the one behind the guy who's already sitting in the fast land ( t's actually the overtaking lane SIR not the fast lane as a police man once informed me) whilst I flash the other guy going "would you ever move the fuck over I'm in a hurry" - me, totally hypocritical and contradictory - NEVER :-) Although to be fair I do see that as to different things as when on the tube we're all going for the same train/s so it's not like he's to be somewhere before you so why the need to push past. Basically I'm just not very good with authority and people telling me what to do it seems :-)

Liked

Push past you NIrish. Annoy you did it? Well just be grateful you didn't receive a sharp jab in the back to let you know you were in his way. Chinese women do use this method. They really do.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

And I assure you he'd of got a swift elbow in his ribs right back at him, if not more for trying that in the first place AND be made to stand behind me right until the bottom of the escalator AND I'd of been sure to get on the train before him and bag the last seat just to wind the arrogant fucker up too :-)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    For the sake of transparency and openess and honesty I fell I must declare with regard to escalators - bollox to the people who want to walk down them, I don't and won't "stand to the right".

It's a fucking escalator, taking approximately 15 seconds to descend if someone's THAT busy or late in their lives that they feel they have the right to try and shove past me, invading my personal space on a 3 foot wide escalator then they should have gotten out of their beds 5 minutes earlier that day.
    I entirely disagree! I do think it's you who are being selfish in this instance. What right do you have to block others on an escalator?

You seem to be talking about one escalator in one location. You forget that in a large shopping mall in Bangkok like Central Chidlom there are 6 escalators all but linked and that some people take all 6 to get to the ground floor. So the total time saved by walking down is a great deal more than just a few seconds! And in Moscow and St. Petersburg, some of the escalators are amongst the longest in the world with again a much greater time saving. I'll be interested to know if you also stand like that on the moving walkways at airports? I landed at BKK a week ago and my flight parked at the furthest gate from immigration. I believe it took 8 moving walkways to cover that distance. In an airport, my priority is similar to that of most - get to Immigration fast to avoid longer queues. So when a mob of people block a walkway, I loudly say "Excuse me!" and that will usually open up an empty space. Do you just stand there on the walkways at airports?

In Hong Kong, Taiwan and Japan there is a much greater understanding that one side is for those who just wish to stand and the other is for those who wish to walk. To me that is absolutely sensible and I believe (although I have no proof) that this has to get more people to the end of the escalator/walkway more quickly which is surely what is needed, especially during a rush hour on the London underground. If it's free-for-all or everyone just stands, the London Underground tests just cannot have come to the conclusion that there is no such benefit. That makes zero sense.

6. 5 Users gave Like to post:

AsDaRa (July 25th, 2016), catawampuscat (July 30th, 2016), christianpfc (August 4th, 2016), Smiles (July 25th, 2016), Tintin (July 26th, 2016)

Liked

It's quite simple here in London; stand on the right and allow passage on the left. I use the system every week and it works. Those that stand in twos and threes are blocking the rest of us.

Liked

Some form of voluntary apartheid works well in Pattaya.

I carefully look for a hotel likely to be populated by mature people, preferable mature single males.
    That way I'm unlikely to be kept awake by young Russian/Arab/British/etc partying all night or by squeaky Chinese women. If they all want to go to a different hotel that accepts all night noise, that is just fine.

Liked

There is a significant difference between escalators which move people vertically and moving walkways which move horizontally. I understand and follow the protocol on moving walkways by standing to the side designated for standees. But never heard or knew there was a similar protocol for escalators. There are good reasons for not having such a rule.
    For instance, in transportation hubs many persons have luggage with them which makes it difficult when on an escalator whereby the luggage may be next to you, in back of you or in front of you. To have someone try to squeeze by creates a hazard by dislodging the luggage.
    Secondly the steps on escalators are not meant for walking but for standing. The thread to rise ratio is not the same as for stairs which is why stopped escalators feel odd when walking up or down them. People trying to walk down an escalator are putting themselves (and everyone else) at risk due to chance of a misstep and falling especially when in a rush.
    So, my 2 Bahts worth of comment.

Liked

Only on SGT could we have a debate about proper escalator etiquette.

11. 3 Users gave Like to post:

catawampuscat (July 30th, 2016), christianpfc (August 4th, 2016), francois (July 26th, 2016)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    For instance, in transportation hubs many persons have luggage with them which makes it difficult when on an escalator whereby the luggage may be next to you, in back of you or in front of you. To have someone try to squeeze by creates a hazard by dislodging the luggage.
    Respectfully, Francois, I don't see any difference between escalators and moving walkways! If you don't expect people to walk on escalators, why expect to them to walk on a moving walkway? On a moving escalator in an airport, train station or subway (including the London underground), I always put my luggage on the step above or below (even rarely above AND below) to allow the other line to walk up or down easily - and on almost every occasion, people have always been walking up and down. Never once has anyone tripped over my luggage. Indeed, in decades of travel I have never once seen anyone trip over. I see lots of other people doing that too. It works perfectly well. The only time I have seen a slight accident was at the end of one of the moving downwards walkways at BKK leading to the taxi level. One confused woman with two heavily loaded trolleys, one in front and one at back, did not realise she had to push down on the first trolley to make it move again once it reached the bottom. The result was the baggage fell over. Instead of getting out of the way she stayed in position to put her luggage back which inevitably resulted in those behind bumping in to her. These types of walkways with just single line access are potentially the really dangerous ones!

If you look at the start of escalators and walkways in some countries, there is actually a sign advising people who ride on them to stand on the right - even with a logo showing how to keep young children in front of you - not at the side.