Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Brexit

Oh dear! The jokes are coming in thick and fast.

Friend told me there is a new slimming product on the market. It's called Brexit. Helps you lose lots of pounds!

The EU now has some free space. About 1 GB!

2. 3 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (June 29th, 2016), francois (June 29th, 2016), Moses (June 29th, 2016)

Liked

NIrish - again you are closer to the situation but I would have thought that if contact is made with the DFM, it would have to be with the FMs approval or certainly her knowledge? I guess it depends what your FM thinks is more important - the will of the peole or the Rule Britannia lobby?

Anyhow - Nicola seems at least to be getting a hearing - Junker and Martin Schulz have both now agreed to meet her today or tomorrow. Maybe it's those red high heels she wears - but it doesn't work when I do it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-36656980

Liked

This discussion is interesting, but what does it have to do with "Gay Thailand"? Should this discussion be somewhere else?

5. User who gave Like to post:

lonelywombat (June 29th, 2016)

Liked

PMQs: David Cameron Tells Jeremy Corbyn To Resign For The Good Of The Country
    ‘For heaven’s sake man, go’
    29/06/2016
    Ned Simons

David Cameron has told Jeremy Corbyn he should resign as leader of the Labour Party for the good of the country.

Facing the Labour leader across the Commons, the prime minister told him: “It might be in my party’s interest for him to sit there, it’s not in the national interest and I would say, for heaven’s sake man, go.”... (read more)...
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...fc7da?section=

Liked

Throughout this whole saga I have been impressed with the way David Cameron has conducted himself. An exceptional politician in my opinion. Telling Corbyn to go considering the amount of votes he would be worth to the Tories just reaffirms my view.

Liked

Just to be clear - this is the same David Cameron who (allegedly) inserted his penis into the mouth of a dead pig and simulated fucking it?

Exceptional is too small a word.

9. 2 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (June 30th, 2016), Up2U (June 30th, 2016)

Liked

NYTimes - Brexit proponent's false promises crumbe
    June 28, 2016

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/28/op...smtyp=cur&_r=0

Liked

Scottish: Yea, well he's fucking another dead pig now. It's called the EU.

Liked

http://www.theatlantic.com/internati...essons/482046/

Surely, someone thought this was a dumb idea after the Boaty McBoatface vote...but no
    As I said before...this whole democracy thing isn't everything it's cracked up to be.

What I find amazing is that with everything bad that has happened recently, it was blamed somehow on ISIS...even when it wasn't.
    If anything can be blamed on ISIS...I think it's this...and you don't hear too much about that on the News huh?
    Twisting the whole Syrian Refugee crisis late last year and into this year added to the grievances on immigration.
    No one wanted a divided Europe more than ISIS...and a divided world.

If anyone has anything to gain slightly out of all of this, it might just be Canada.
    We've gained access to European markets through our long standing trade relationship with Great Britain.
    Before the Euro, it was always political when we did business with either France or Great Britain in our strained relationship with Quebec and French Canada.
    With the European Union, that divide became blurred and it didn't matter much in so much in Canada anymore.
    Now we can reach out to Great Britain and negotiate parallel deals in addition to what we already have established with the Union.
    I would imagine the Americans have similar ideas...
    I'm not sure how Airbus will fare out of all of this?

The problem with another referendum on the issue, is that it devalues the whole referendum process making the second referendum result even more meaningless than the first, if you deem the first results non-binding. As much as some might wish it were all a dream that they'd wake up from in the morning, the reality is that "what's done is done" and it's time for Great Britain to figure out how to land on their feet from here.

Surfcrest
    Last edited by Surfcrest; June 30th, 2016 at 12:08.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Surfcrest View Post
    As I said before...this whole democracy thing isn't everything it's cracked up to be.
    A point I have made consistently in relation to the introduction of democracy to nations which for millennia have had absolute rulers and no history of democracy. If the cradle of democracy, as the UK likes to call itself, can make such a fuck-up of a referendum with such massive national and global consequences which those voting clearly did not take into consideration, how can you expect democracy to solve the problems in a country like China? But that's for another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfcrest View Post
    The problem with another referendum on the issue, is that it devalues the whole referendum process making the second referendum result even more meaningless than the first,
    The problem with a second referendum is that it will solve nothing! The root of the European issue in British politics is the Conservative party itself. It goes right back to the pro-European Edward Heath who as Prime Minister took the UK into Europe against the wishes of a very large number of his fellow Conservative MPs and their constituents. Heath was probably better at playing with organs than being the leader of the country (a confirmed bachelor, he had been an organ scholar at University!), but he was pretty quickly dumped after losing the next election. Margaret Thatcher was basically anti-European and only reluctantly signed up to the idea when she renegotiated Heath's deal and got a better one. She was ditched, only partly a direct result of Europe, but it had certainly been a constant sore in her side as the pro-Europeans battled with the anti-Europeans. Her successor John Major was pro-European and, like his predecessors, had to fight against backbench revolts specifically over the Europe issue. He lost an election and quit. Now another Conservative leader Cameron has lost the European gamble and fallen on his sword. Since that party and its supporters remain totally split, even if there were a second referendum with a vote to stay in the EU, it would not end the deeply rooted divisions - at least not for another 10 - 15 years when a chunk of the older diehard anti-Europeans have died off!

But the real irony is that the immigration problem at the root on the Referendum was caused not by the Conservatives - but by Tony Blair's Labour Party. In 2004 Blair's Home Secretary Jack Straw agreed to implement his party's policy to permit immigration from Eastern Europe States and to allow them to work straightaway - doing away with the policy adopted by other EU countries which prevented migrants from working for 7 years. Yet little more than 2 years ago, that same Jack Straw admitted in a newspaper article that this was "a spectacular mistake"! Blair's government based its strategy on estimates of between 12,000 and 13,000 arriving. More than 1 million did! So much for governments making decisions in the best interests of its people! Has anyone else in Blair's government admitted this was a humungous mistake? Not that I have read! Another stake in Blair's coffin!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ack-Straw.html