Thread: Brexit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Liked

Re: Brexit

There are liars and then there’s Boris Johnson and Michael Gove
    Nick Cohen
    Saturday 25 June 2016

Where was the champagne at the Vote Leave headquarters? The happy tears and whoops of joy? If you believed Boris Johnson and Michael Gove, the Brexit vote was a moment of national liberation, a day that Nigel Farage said our grateful children would celebrate with an annual bank holiday.... (read more)....
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...P=share_btn_tw

Liked

So, could someone please tell me who the winners are in this situation?

I can't find any long-term winners from where I'm sitting.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by a447 View Post
    So, could someone please tell me who the winners are in this situation?
    I don't think anyone can, only time will tell. If, as many believe, the European Project really is a house of cards and will collapse shortly anyway, then exiting now was probably a good idea, albeit we may have hastened the end by doing so.

Liked

How difficult would it be for the UK to call a snap referendum for a revote? From what I'm seeing, if that is a legal possibility, there's a chance it could happen, it would be voted to remain, and this whole ordeal would just go down as one huge cock-up.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    How difficult would it be for the UK to call a snap referendum for a revote? From what I'm seeing, if that is a legal possibility, there's a chance it could happen, it would be voted to remain, and this whole ordeal would just go down as one huge cock-up.
    Legally, nothing to stop it but politically it would open up a huge can of worms:

Quite apart from it meaning ignoring the democratically expressed will of the people, if the UK Govt were to say it's ok to have another referendum within days of just having had one, where would that leave Tobi's/UK Unionists argument about the UK Govt being able to deny Indyref2? Answer: in tatters.

Won't/Can't happen.

Arsenal's front-runner for PM - Michael Gove - has just said that he won't stand for the job.

Utter chaos - what a fucking bunch of incompetents to have running the country

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    Legally, nothing to stop it but politically it would open up a huge can of worms
    Yeah, the UK would have to kiss alot of ass in Brussels, and plead, "sorry, we were just kidding. can we come back now?"

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    How difficult would it be for the UK to call a snap referendum for a revote?
    The government could certainly call another referendum. The EU called repeated referendums until Ireland coughed up the "right" answer. However, rather than call another one, the government doesn't need to do anything, it can legally ignore last week's result.

Liked

Scotty, I agree with you that to have a second referendum would mean ignoring the will of the people, but given the closeness of the vote and the huge, as yet undetermined ramifications for so many people, maybe the government should may vote the bullet,

I wouldn't be surprised if a large majority of the population welcomed a second vote.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by a447 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if a large majority of the population welcomed a second vote.
    I think the risk will be that if the government calls a second referendum and doesn't exit the EU, you will see huge swing from both sides to the right and far right. I think we'd likely end up having to fight this whole issue again in 2020, with potentially UKIP ending up in the catbird seat.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by frequentfliers View Post
    People of Northern Ireland will hopefully get a chance to vote for reunification now.
    What even though the majority here ( on both sides) have already clearly stated their wish to remain within the UK several times now several times in things such as the GFA and several other ( very recent) elections. What a strange concept and even aside from a Unionist majority it's even accepted ( and measured in recent polls that a large swath of even usually non unionist voters would vote to "remain" here as they've got quite a good thing going on here jobs, health, lifestyle wise in Northern Ireland. As for how long that continues on for ALL of us after last week is of course a whole different question !!