Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: End of life ....

Liked

End of life ....

To change of the usual tip battle, or the recollection of prowesses in the the bedroom and elsewhere,
    I would like to know more of the attitude, official and not,in Thailand regarding the end of life.
    I am in good health, but before settling definetely in Los I would like to know what I can expect when the balance between pleasure of living and depending more and more of external help, pains, makes the choice of seeking swift end advisable.
    Is there something like assisted suicide, as in Switzerland, or euthanasy ?
    To reassure everyone, it's thinking forward, I have a very healthy and fulfilling sex life and I am not ready to stop it !

2. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (April 23rd, 2016)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: End of life ....

"Is there something like assisted suicide"

Yes it's called renting a condo on the 15th floor and then telling your Thai partner de jour that they're the sole beneficialry in your will ! :-)

4. 4 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (April 23rd, 2016), francois (April 22nd, 2016), ggobob (April 24th, 2016), goji (April 23rd, 2016)

Liked

The only thing regarding end of life that I have heard of is a Do Not Resuscitate Order at a hospital.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I realise there has been talk on another thread about the need for medical insurance for those considering moving to the LOS for retirement, but I don't think I have ever heard of anyone who has moved here, especially someone in good health and with a healthy sex life, talk about the end of life and assisted suicide! The whole point of moving to Thailand is surely to enjoy retirement in a more convivial and less expensive environment than back home - not to think about ending up in a state requiring assisted suicide? Maybe I'm the only one, but I never think of the balance between enjoying life and the problems of ageing. Given Thailand's traffic habits, anyone could die just crossing the road here. If I have a major illness, insurance will cover it. I expect most Thai hospitals honour a living will if that is also what your executors request - but I'm sure it needs to be written in Thai. That's no different from the will in Thai you will need for disposal of your property, funds and personal effects. I mean no disrespect, but if you are going to spend time concerned about the end of life, maybe it's better not to move.

Liked

Talking Re: End of life ....

As I will be single-handedly wiping out the human race by recklessly and unnecesarily taking 30 Doxycycline tablets a year, the end could come sooner than Luckylok thinks - so he is right to explore his options.

A 7-11 carrier bag over the head is a cheap and cheerful option which would undoubtedly appeal to a thrifty Scot suffering from agonising cancer wished on him by a well-balanced SGT board member.

Liked

Thailand can be a great place for the elderly but it's a poor choice for those who want assurance that they can avoid a long and futile struggle at the end. The applicable laws are strict, so doctors cannot and will not provide assistance.

Living Wills with DNR orders are legal here and will probably be obeyed but to be certain of that you need to sign the paperwork in the presence of the hospital's administrative staff.

9. User who gave Like to post:

francois (April 22nd, 2016)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post

A 7-11 carrier bag over the head is a cheap and cheerful option which would undoubtedly appeal to a thrifty Scot suffering from agonising cancer wished on him by a well-balanced SGT board member.
    Likely there are some members who would gladly provide assistance to you in your hour of need.

Liked

I expect most Thai hospitals honour a living will if that is also what your executors request - but I'm sure it needs to be written in Thai. That's no different from the will in Thai you will need for disposal of your property, funds and personal effects.
    Living wills are now legal in Thailand - as I understand it, they do not have to be written in Thai - they do have to be signed by witnesses (does not have to be Hospital administrators). But, you apparently have to provide a copy to the hospital. Likewise, last wills and testaments do not have to be written in Thai - but they will have to be translated into Thai for the Courts to accept them for probate.

Liked

"...they do have to be signed by witnesses (does not have to be Hospital administrators)."

That may depend on the hospital. Just last month, Bangkok Pattaya Hospital refused to accept a signed and witnessed Living Will from a friend of mine. They insisted that he have it witnessed and signed at the hospital.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Likely there are some members who would gladly provide assistance to you in your hour of need.
    Well MiniMee couldn't help with a plastic bag from 7-11 - he says I'm never in Thailand - but in any case I'd regard any other people who want to see someone die in agony for disagreeing with them to be as well-balanced as Tobi .. in other words.............

Tobi1b.jpg