Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else having brown outs?

Liked

Anyone else having brown outs?

Anyone else having "brown outs"? This is getting to be stupid now. Every single night, between about 8pm - 1am, we kinda, sorta, not really have electricity. Anyone else?

Even had an e-mail from my landlord this morning, because I guess the tenant in the house across the street was complaining about the electric. Unfortunately for him, complaining to the owner isn't going to get you far. It's simply hot out, so everyone has their A/C on full blast, and it's running the power grid dry. Not much you can do, except wait for the power company to upgrade the grid to provide more capacity, and I'll go under the assumption that's about a 12 month, multi millon dollar project.

Anyone else getting the same issue these days?

2. User who gave Like to post:

ktq (June 7th, 2020)

Liked

Re: Anyone else having brown outs?

No, I have very rare electrical problems here (for Thailand that is). If any usually a few hours because work is being done 3-4 times a year.
    Sometimes half an hour, maybe 10 times a year, no idea why, happens with all weather.

Short, less then a second, failures happen sometimes (the lights go off). but my computer is protected against those, so no problem.

Since I live in a more Thai area in Pattaya, not many use air here as neither do I, 1 fan on me is enough, even during the hot season.
    My electric bill is 700-800 per month that incl a big freezer.
    For whom is interested my rent is 4500 for an almost 70 sqm ground floor area.
    [B][COLOR=#0000ff][SIZE=3]Life has no remote.[/SIZE][/COLOR] [COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]Get up and change it yourself.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

4. User who gave Like to post:

ktq (June 7th, 2020)

Liked

No problems with electricity that I would remember for the 2 years I have been living in Sathorn. I have never experienced a brown-out, only sudden and complete loss of electricity. But there was a thread on brown-outs in Pattaya on gaybutton.

In over 30 years in Germany, I remember one announced electricity cut. In the UK, France and Thailand, I experienced unannounced electricity outages at least once per year.

Liked

Oh yeah, unplanned outages happen. Get a bad storm, some idiot drives his car into an electric pole, or whatever. Those things happen.

This is strictly an infrastructure problem though. The power grid simply can't sustain the demand. The electric doesn't completey go out, but just goes up/down, up/down and everything constantly "dims" from about 8pm - 1am. We had this last year too, but this year it's exceptionally bad. Hopefully the electric company is working on it.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    Oh yeah,...... Hopefully the electric company is working on it.
    Probably adding a little more to the confusion
    electric.jpg
    [B][COLOR=#0000ff][SIZE=3]Life has no remote.[/SIZE][/COLOR] [COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]Get up and change it yourself.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

8. User who gave Like to post:

cdnmatt (March 22nd, 2016)

Liked

Just woke up, and it clicked. The electric company is state owned, isn't it?

Considering people have been arrested for clicking "Like" on Facebook, I'll leave it there.

Ok... starting to make sense now.

Liked

In some places, you can hear sounds from creeping discharge under electricity poles. And that's in dry season, with humidity the air or surface becomes a better conductor and finally there will be sparks and destruction. The electricity companies should send people to listen out for these sounds and find the source to avoid later damage.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    ...The electric doesn't completey go out, but just goes up/down, up/down and everything constantly "dims" from about 8pm - 1am...
    It's always possible that some huge queen is having "fun" with his super-industrial-strength mains-powered vibrator every night between 8pm-1am and is sucking up all your power.

You should patrol the neighbourhood - listening at the windows for lisping falsetto shrieks of ecstasy along the lines of:

"Yes! Yes!! Give it to me Big Boy!!! I'm such a fucking WHORE!!!!"

Liked

Well, I'm not sure what a brown out is. It sounds like some awful digestive medical condition.
    But from following replies I guess it is electricity power cuts.
    You don't say where you are but here in central Bangkok, I seldom have problems ---- other than the usual couple of seconds cuts which are just long enough to reset the appliances, microwave etc.

It sounds as if a local 'breaker' is tripping. So nothing to do with your landlord. Is it accompanied by an explosion sound.
    I used to get this and we'd have to wait for the local engineer to come along with his ladder to reset the breaker.

Liked

No, it's not the breaker tripping. If that was the case, the electric would completely shut off until I reset it. Had that problem in the first house I lived in though. It was an older house, so electrical wasn't very good.

This is simply a power grid problem. For example, at night I'll be sitting in my office, and the light & fan will constantly dim to almost nothing, then about 20 seconds later "come back to life". This happens every few minutes from about 8pm - 1am. Only happens when the weather is hot, and at night when everyone is home from work / school, and has their A/C cranked up.

Not much you can do though. Wait for the power company to build more capacity, or if that doesn't work, wait for the rainy season when it's cooler out. *shrug*