Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tip for Single Drink at Bar

Liked

Tip for Single Drink at Bar

I came across this topic on ThaiVisa Forum; How much a tip for one drink at a bar?
    As usual a lot of troll replies but mostly from guys going to girly bars.

So, just what do you think is a fair/decent tip at a beer bar or go-go bar or a single drink or, even multiple drinks?

For me it is always 20 Baht unless I have multiple drinks and am enjoying the service of a cute or good waiter in which case he may get another 20 Baht in his hand.

I do notice that many farang customers stick with only one tip no matter the cost of a drink/meal. 20 Baht.

For reference sake I did a Google Translate of "tip" from English to Thai and the result was 20 บาท !!!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Tip for Single Drink at Bar

Some old timers still lamenting the demise of the 10 baht banknotes

3. 2 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (March 16th, 2016), Dax (March 17th, 2016)

Liked

I'm not a drinker so don't spend a lot of time sitting in beer bars. But on my last trip I met a nice guy who used to work at Eros but now works in All of Me. He would sit and drink with me and I always tipped him 100-200 baht. Too much??

I'll be back in Pattaya early next month and intend to drink with him in his bar. If I've been tipping too much, it will be very hard to now tip him less.

Still, I think I got value for money as I thoroughly enjoyed chatting to him. There's no way I could tip him 20 baht - I think a guy who spends time with you probably deserves more than that.

If I just order a drink and the waiter delivers it to my table, I don't give him any tip.

5. User who gave Like to post:

Dax (March 17th, 2016)

Liked

No,100-200 Baht not too much for someone who sits and chats with you. It is also the norm to buy them a drink since it is their job to promote the bar. Many of the farang I know are not "drinkers" of alcohol but do sit at beer bars and have water, coffee, etc. and they usually leave some form of tip. Let's see what others think.

7. User who gave Like to post:

ggobob (May 26th, 2016)

Liked

I rarely drink at beer bars, but go (used to go?) to gogo bars. When I invite a boy to sit with me, I will buy him a drink and check skin temperature and make some small talk. That might take 15 minutes and he will get 100 Baht.

Years ago, I pondered tipping 50 Baht for that, but decided against it.

If a boy sits long time (1 hour) with me and is entertaining, he might get 200 Baht. But that's the exception, only if I can't decide where to go next, that I stay that long in a bar.

Liked

If I go to a gogo bar and order the mandatory drink. Let's say it is 220 baht. And I give the waiter 300 baht. He may return with the folder holding 4 10 baht coins and 2 20 baht notes. He may even return with all the change in coins....

Before I would leave the coins but now I take the coins and will put 20 baht back in the binder.

Liked

Just a drink. 20 baht tip in a gogo bar and 10 in a beer bar except at Copa where I tip 20 because of the lovely service I always get there.

Liked

In Pattaya I would keep the 10 baht coins to be used later on baht buses. So convenient.
    If boys sit with me with my permission, I offer them a drink, give 100 baht companionship fee, and leave some small change for the bar.

12. 2 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (March 17th, 2016), llz (March 19th, 2016)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

There's a bit of confusion re a tip for a barman/waiter who brings over your drink and for one of the boys who sits and spends some time with you.

As for the barman, I reckon drinks have now become so expensive in Bangkok, I rarely leave anything. If I do it's Bt. 20. I totally dislike the idea of giving some of the change in Bt. 10 coins, especially when a couple of them are often tucked into a flap at the bottom of the wallet in the hope they will get a Bt. 20 note and those two coins will not be noticed.

As for a boy sitting with you, I'll never offer less than Bt. 100, increasing to 200 if I'm having a good time.

14. 2 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (March 17th, 2016), christianpfc (March 17th, 2016)

Liked

100 if I am entertained. 0 baht if I just have a drink or coffee. Thats right, I'm not American.