Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: living in thailand for 500 dollars

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: living in thailand for 500 dollars

Looking at the video and no offence to the guy but I guessing "living" is the subjective word here though.....

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy
    Looking at the video and no offence to the guy but I guessing "living" is the subjective word here though.....
    hehe, agreed. Heck, I'm up here in Khon Kaen, and I spend probably $2500/month, and my life sucks, lol.

Ok, that's actually wrong. I do live a pretty decent life and everything, but I'm hardly living like a king. Some of the locals may think I'm quite well off, but compared to Western standards, not so much.

Liked

I've a hunch christianpfc will be drooling over that video.
    [i]There is a boy across the river with a bottom like a peach,
    But alas I cannot swim.
    [/i]
    - From an early-19th-century Pashtun marching song

Forum's veteran
    Liked

If not complaining about the excessive wastes of money shown in it !

I mean he paid 120 baht ? to have a puncture repaired on his motorbike when it's well know that there's perfectly good super glue on the market and the good Lord gave him a mouth and a set of lungs and he could have taken a few days to blow air back in to the tyre himself - sheer waste and unnecessary extravagance if you ask me ! :-)

Liked

I wonder if this guy and others like him get their kicks from living in a foreign country or from living "hand to mouth" in a foreign country. He seems to have a love of the threadbare lifestyle equal to that of a Trappist monk.
    These frugal types make me nervous and a little guilty when I reflect on my lifestyle here. I and many like me on this forum would easily drop 500 baht in a go-go bar on a drink and 20b tips and then go to the next bar for more of the same.
    I can't shake off the feeling that the big finger of fate will tap me on the shoulder to announce that the party is over and it's time to go home to the real world.

Liked

If I had to live like that, keeping an eye on every baht, I'd rather stay home. Life's too short.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

If all the guy can afford to live on is $500/month than I'd say he's made some wise decisions.

$500/month is way below the poverty line in Japan, as it is in the U.S. anf most of Europe as well, and the fact that he's living in a clean building, eating healthy food and enjoying a peaceful environment says a lot. The alternative may be living in a filthy ghetto, eating cheap processed food and burning newspapers on the floor of his room to stay warm in the Winter.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by a447
    If I had to live like that, keeping an eye on every baht, I'd rather stay home. Life's too short.
    But isn't the problem that you'd then have the same problem at home, too? In relative terms, you are even poorer back home with that kind of money. So I guess my point is that life would be shitty on $500 per month anywhere in the world, but maybe less shitty in Thailand than in many other places.
    Yes, grandpa, I know it used to be more fun 30 years ago...

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Ironically, 37,500 baht ($500) is about the average monthly income for the Thai middle-class who live pretty good lives.

I know a few expats in Pattaya who appear as if they maintain the same limited bufget. They dine exclusively at the 40 baht food stalls, avoid going anywhere that's not within walking distance of their room, and only show up around the night venues when there's a free food buffet being served. I think this Janapese guy could take some lessons from the baloon chasers.